• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
35 35

6,525 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2023 at 3:59 PM, Robot Man said:

Anyone remember when cops had nothing better to do? I got busted a couple times but by their age, I had some where more comfortable to go…:devil:

IMG_7604.jpeg

Follow his eyes and....

Atlas romance is nuts.  I see some nice higher grade books going for peanuts then collectors get into bidding wars over low grade and so-so covers.

I like that one, though.  Nice composition even if it is more "cartoon-ish" than I like for a romance cover.

Still, outside of a slab and away from Blissard, I bet it's a 30 dollar book. I've got the previous issue in a better grade, and it's the sort of book I'd have to put a higher minimum bid on than I like just because there's way too many steals happening in the romances :cry:

Atlas is special, though, more watchers than other lines, all you have to do is put "Timely Atlas" in the description.  But just because you get watchers doesn't mean you get bids, and it feels safer to list BIN for most romance.

Edited by Darwination

On 10/23/2023 at 11:17 PM, Dr. Love said:

just now on Ebay - and that's for the lowest graded, behind a 4.5 and a 6.0

pent up Atlas pre-code romance demand?  or is it the "Blissard Blessing"?

hmmm

image.thumb.png.a78ef2ec4a12b36bca22e9dfadbe5865.png

Lovers #31 Nice Pre-Code Golden Age Vintage Marvel Timely Comic 1951 CGC 3.0 - Picture 1 of 2

Adam gets the action has a big following on the Bay

I'd noticed the discoloration in the bottom half of her bottom half and  wasn't sure if that was common for the entire run.

I do like it with the great curves and signature and pack of smokes on the desk.  Dunno if it quite rates as a classic Atlas cover, tho apparently it does :flipbait:

On 10/27/2023 at 10:58 AM, sagii said:

that's the power of HA

The day before the auction closed, these books were sitting around without any bids.  For a minute, I thought I'd just have to bid on all of them!

On 10/27/2023 at 2:44 PM, Yorick said:

The day before the auction closed, these books were sitting around without any bids.  For a minute, I thought I'd just have to bid on all of them!

All the action happens at the end

On 10/27/2023 at 11:35 AM, Darwination said:

Dunno if it quite rates as a classic Atlas cover, tho apparently it does :flipbait:

yeh its a classic Colletta cover - but no interior work by him in this issue

Lovers, what a great title - retired pretty much with the code, seems fitting

photocover -> Rule -> Hartley and Pike and Colletta, the most wonderful cover progression

On 10/27/2023 at 1:47 PM, comicnoir said:

It's the only book I really wanted out of the auction.

There were a handful of books I went after, and I whiffed on most of them.  But I did win the one book I really wanted.  I had to pay a bit more than I thought or wanted.  Heritage can really bring in the buyers. 

After yesterday's auctions, Harley Yee's prices seem almost cheap, by comparison.  But don't tell him that.

On 10/27/2023 at 1:47 PM, comicnoir said:

It's the only book I really wanted out of the auction.

I appreciate your forbearance, Ron, and in general if you could stay the frack away from books I'm interested in, and in this auction there were many, I would appreciate it!

Unfortunately many others did not get that memo and have bid very strongly for these books.  Dang it!

I'll post my thoughts and a rundown on this extraordinary auction sometime soon.

No copies of even the Fox issue for My Secret Story #27 in the census much less this Superior edition.  When I sell it, I'll likely include "sleaze" in the title for you monsters that have it in your searches, GGA foreva, but I actually think the cover is quite the charmer.

20231029_153612.thumb.jpg.1e2dd4d62cfdd41ac4f28f4278b727b9.jpg

Scanned for the digital museums years ago.  The inner cover is a black and white splash which differs from the American editions which were colored (the bleed of pinks and such to the Fox covers happens even at the highest grade - I've got a Famous Crimes up at eBay that shows the effect).  The colored ifcs are cool, but I suppose if you wanted a particular cover minus the bleed, a Superior might be the way to go.

Bad Girl's Confession.  Do tell!

MySecretStory27(CAN)p02.thumb.jpg.bf07e1142e334d9e92737c092c73e538.jpg

Sadly, the interior art doesn't live up to the promise of the cover, though I don't think I really expected it to :D

MySecretStory27(CAN)p24.thumb.jpg.39dc1cdbf77e77f12714d3b113038f14.jpg

MySecretStory27(CAN)p12.thumb.jpg.0cd236ff3b279e45195d9806b9bedac9.jpg

The cover restoration

My Secret Story 27 (1950.Superior) cover (Darwin Edit)

Edited by Darwination