• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,451 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, archiefan said:

I know I know!!  Torn between keeping it a secret and showing the Baker goodness

Anything we as Baker collectors can do to help promote the popularity of his work, only benefits us in the long run.  Increasing the demand for his work only results in increasing the value of our Baker collections.  (Unless we'd prefer that his work remains more affordable, so that we can more inexpensively obtain the books we still need.  I guess every collector will feel differently about this, depending on how each defines his or her future goals.) 

Personally, I feel I have enough nice Bakers that I don't mind sitting back and seeing them become more valuable, even though there are still issues I'd like to get.  I've already focused on my favorite issues, and in many cases have decent copies of them.  What remains for me, I won't mind settling for lower grade copies.   

Edited by 29dukedog

10 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
1 hour ago, archiefan said:

I know I know!!  Torn between keeping it a secret and showing the Baker goodness

Anything we as Baker collectors can do to help promote the popularity of his work, only benefits us in the long run.  Increasing the demand for his work only results in increasing the value of our Baker collections.  (Unless we'd prefer that his work remains more affordable, so that we can more inexpensively obtain the books we still need.  I guess every collector will feel differently about this, depending on how each defines his or her future goals.) 

Personally, I feel I have enough nice Bakers that I don't mind sitting back and seeing them become more valuable, even though there are still issues I'd like to get.  I've already focused on my favorite issues, and in many cases have decent copies of them.  What remains for me, I won't mind settling for lower grade copies.   

The run up in Baker prices has also brought more books to market and gotten national dealers to keep an eye out for them. So, there's been that benefit as well. 

Just now, 29dukedog said:

Found this tasty item from 1951; it's our favorite "Dimple Doll", Alice Ann Kelley, in a rare, non-smiling photo. 

DimpleDoll060_zpsuenobr60.jpg

Nice.  Don't think I've seen that one before.

So, sometimes when you get into a publisher who maybe you stuck to one genre with, you branch out: MLJ's Romance line is interesting. Only two titles. 'Darling Love' and 'Darling Romance'. Both short runs (maybe because the Archie line dealt with romance, if in a comedic way, they felt they didn't need the hard core stuff). Most of the covers were photo covers, with color motifs that were 60's before the 60's :D

I focused my want list on the line drawn covers of the runs. There were six in total (5 in DL, 1 IN DR), which thanks to last weeks Big Apple con, i'm only one down to go. This cover is my favorite of the bunch so i'll share this one first. Romance covers with the man in the position of the crying dumpee have always caught my eye, since they are not common in the genre. Angry men, jealous men, stalking men, sure, not the weeping so much.

Another 'thing' with the MLJ line drawn covers is that the covers are pulled from the splash page as evidenced below. A lot of great splashes and stories in these, but not sure if going forward to post these here or in the MLJ Thread (maybe both :D) anyway, the sure to be classic if it gets around is the tear jerker: 

"I Was Too Fat For Love:whatthe: :whatthe:

Darling Love #7.jpg

IMG_3065.JPG

IMG_3062.JPG

Edited by sagii

33 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Nice book Sagii! I love those MLJ romance comics...

darlinglove01.jpg

darlingromance01.jpg

Thanks Jack and Bedrock, and sweet #1's there (your Darling Love one :luhv: ). If i was going to collect any of the photo cover books of the runs, it'd be the #1's 

32 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Here is one of the Archie lookalike covers...

darlinglove11.jpg

This was the last issue of the run. Notice how the art was almost taking on a 'Archie' like slant (cartoony eyes)? Last ditch effort? 

:applause:One of the more striking cover images. Is the boyfriend helping her or her Dad? Certainly would be controversial today for word balloons and image. Your copy is SO much nicer than mine :sorry: