• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,451 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Maybe just a tad too late to fit a narrow-minded definition of Golden Age, but I won this for $2 on Heritage last night. :banana:

Of course, then there's the BP. hm

And postage! :cry:

Still, sole highest graded! :banana:

But, then, who would be crazy enough to get a book like this graded? hm

Still, she's pretty cute, even if you allow for the fact that she's made out of plastic. Bet Jimbo's said those exact words many times over the years! :)

lf_zpss2bkv8ou.jpg

And she likes pigeons.

That Barbie is genuinely sweet.  I still pick up the occasional, random, newer comic, simply because the cover strikes me.  Since you got away with it, I don't mind posting this one, which, in my opinion, is one of the prettiest new covers I've seen in a long, long time... 

20.jpg

14 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

That Barbie is genuinely sweet.  I still pick up the occasional, random, newer comic, simply because the cover strikes me.  Since you got away with it, I don't mind posting this one, which, in my opinion, is one of the prettiest new covers I've seen in a long, long time... 

20.jpg

I like it, too! The cherub on the right is a bit taken aback by the proceedings. :)

5 minutes ago, archiefan said:

+1 Very nice cover. The suggestiveness reminds me of this illustration by the great Mr. Baker

nugget_baker_orig2_zpshzrskokv.jpg

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:

That's from the first issue of Nugget, isn't it?

Yes it is!!

4 minutes ago, archiefan said:
11 minutes ago, archiefan said:

+1 Very nice cover. The suggestiveness reminds me of this illustration by the great Mr. Baker

nugget_baker_orig2_zpshzrskokv.jpg

7 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

That's from the first issue of Nugget, isn't it?

An underappreciated book for Baker collectors, but let's not let anyone else know about it! :)

12 minutes ago, Yorick said:

How far into Nugget does Baker's work go?  Beyond just the first issue?

I've really only started exploring Baker's magazine work myself, and it's going to require no small amount of effort.  To the best of my knowledge there is no checklist for this stuff, like there is for his comic book work.  I'd love for someone to point one out.  

I know there was a large gap between the first and second issue (a span of many months) where the center of operations was moved to New York City from Chicago and the company was no longer listed as St John. Archer St John was listed as the publisher in the first issue but died by the time it hit the stands. His son Michael took over for a short time. I suspect this was Baker's only issue but he contributed 3 great illustrations for it

6 hours ago, archiefan said:

I know there was a large gap between the first and second issue (a span of many months) where the center of operations was moved to New York City from Chicago and the company was no longer listed as St John. Archer St John was listed as the publisher in the first issue but died by the time it hit the stands. His son Michael took over for a short time. I suspect this was Baker's only issue but he contributed 3 great illustrations for it

Yeah, and I wish someone would post that third great illustration!  Heh heh.  :devil:

8 hours ago, 29dukedog said:
8 hours ago, Yorick said:

How far into Nugget does Baker's work go?  Beyond just the first issue?

I've really only started exploring Baker's magazine work myself, and it's going to require no small amount of effort.  To the best of my knowledge there is no checklist for this stuff, like there is for his comic book work.  I'd love for someone to point one out.  

The Art of Glamour has a good checklist.  His work appears only in the first issue of Nugget.  He also has illustrations in the first nine issues of Manhunt (I was able to pick up some bound volumes of those), as well as the first eight issues of Rage for Men, and scattered work in other magazines. 

4 hours ago, archiefan said:

I have it scanned and can post it if no one objects

Yeah, I think it's tasteful enough, and I'd be surprised if anyone actually objected to it being posted here.  Go ahead, I'll take the heat for it, if there is any.

Yeah, I think it's tasteful enough, and I'd be surprised if anyone actually objected to it being posted here.  Go ahead, I'll take the heat for it, if there is any.

Ok here is the third Baker illus from Nugget. A beautiful collage of the female form

nugget_baker_orig_zpsl3m9sanv.jpg

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

The Art of Glamour has a good checklist.  His work appears only in the first issue of Nugget.  He also has illustrations in the first nine issues of Manhunt (I was able to pick up some bound volumes of those), as well as the first eight issues of Rage for Men, and scattered work in other magazines. 

I still have not picked up a copy of that book (I know, I know- I will...)  Good to know that checklist includes his magazine work!  I guess now I've got no reason to put off getting a copy any longer.

Ok here is the third Baker illus from Nugget. A beautiful collage of the female form

nugget_baker_orig_zpsl3m9sanv.jpg

Well, now you've done it- every Baker collector and his brother will now be eagerly hunting down Nugget #1. 

Well, now you've done it- every Baker collector and his brother will now be eagerly hunting down Nugget #1. 

I know I know!!  Torn between keeping it a secret and showing the Baker goodness

I know I know!!  Torn between keeping it a secret and showing the Baker goodness

Share the Baker goodness, I say.  Besides, I've seen quite a few copies of Nugget #1.  I don't believe it's very scarce.  Probably plenty of them to go around.