• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,490 posts in this topic

Boot does have some great books. Shoot, everybody seems to have a copy of GCE 13 - except me! Oh well, I do have some other stuff.

I happen to have some Negro Romance, too. Not #4 though. At least, not yet.

NegroRomanceGroup_zpsd0c6a121.jpg

Other than the Negro Romance group, this might be the only other black character showing up in romance until the swinging 70's.

TrueLifeSecrets26fc100_zpsb8f32c19.jpg

Like Boot, I've got one of the four little Comic Media digests, although mine's a Honeymoon Romance. They are hard to find, and of course harder to find in grade.

HoneymoonRomance01fc100_zps3e4f7bd7.jpg

Here's my copy of Girl Comics 3. This is as nice as I could find in 25 years of looking.

GirlComics03fc100_zps3623e29e-1.jpg

And a few bonus books for checking in. I give you the masterful Bill Ward and the inimitable Walter Johnson.

SecretLoves02fc100_zpsca46d62f.jpg

YouthfulLove01fc100_zps9d9e8093.jpg

Awesome books. I have owned a lot of the romance digests and they are definitely tough to find.

Boot does have some great books. Shoot, everybody seems to have a copy of GCE 13 - except me! Oh well, I do have some other stuff.

Whoa! What an impressive set! (worship)

Whoa! What an impressive set! (worship)

Very very hard to find.

I've owned all but the 3. And foolishly let the 4 get away years ago when a guy wheedled me into parting with it cheap and I figured I would just get another one. Yeah, right.

Dr Love those Negro Romances are incredible!!!!!!!!!! I have only had a chance to get 2 & 4 but I am the cheapest guy in comics so I was not willing to pay the price. I believe I am responsible for getting them labeled scarce in Overstreet. I wrote to Overstreet begging them to put the scarce or rare tag on Negro Romances and the did it in the next price guide!

I will take any of them but the one that I really want is # 4 because some say that is Matt Baker on the cover wearing the hat.

Hey. So I hope you all don't mind if I start steering this in a slightly different direction. These books aren't rare per se, but they'll be new to some of you. I've posted these elsewhere in the past, but I don't remember where or when. I'll try and post more regularly to this topic - but it'll be more "Books You Don't See Often and If You Do, Not In This Condition".

LoveJournal11fc100_zps368ba4ff.jpg

LoveJournal16fc100_zpscd5a9a79.jpg

LoveDiary31fc100_zps9bfb37f0.jpg

LoveDiary16fc100_zps2b02827b.jpg

Well it's that witching hour. The time when both west and east coasters are snug in their beds,as visions of comic books dance in their heads. The only ones up now are insomniacs, very very early risers, or mad dogs and Englishmen.

So here you go. The always interesting, slightly disturbing Walter Johnson with an iconic couple's cover. You may love it. You may hate it. But you won't easily forget it.

YouthfulRomances07fc100_zps7023b187.jpg

Lastly, a cover from the Charlton True Life Secrets "Black Cover Run". I just made that up. But it's true - there's a stretch of about 15 issues where either the whole cover or the title panel is black. Difficult to find in grade, as you would expect. Art Cappello was the penciller on most of the run.

The Charlton crew was something else. All mobbed up, they say. Certainly, those with Italian heritage were very much at home. John Santangelo, the big boss. Al Fago, D*ck Giordano, Rocco Mastroserio, Sal Trapani, John D'Agostino, Vincent Alascia, Art Cappello. Vinny Colletta. And the strange one - Steve Ditko.

In terms of romance, trust me when I tell you there's a lot about Charlton you don't know.

TrueLifeSecrets14fc100_zps7cfd56d5.jpg

Well it's that witching hour. The time when both west and east coasters are snug in their beds,as visions of comic books dance in their heads. The only ones up now are insomniacs, very very early risers, or mad dogs and Englishmen.

So here you go. The always interesting, slightly disturbing Walter Johnson with an iconic couple's cover. You may love it. You may hate it. But you won't easily forget it.

You're like a late night AM radio DJ, hosting a "Radio Romance" show. Can we call in with requests?

You know, it occurs to me that this message board doesn't really have a thread devoted to romance comics in general. We have the Baker romance thread... and this thread has been devoted to "rarest romance comics"... What do you think, should we start another thread for all the rest?

And I thought mad dogs and Englishmen only went out in the mid day sun... or something like that? hm

Hey. So I hope you all don't mind if I start steering this in a slightly different direction. These books aren't rare per se, but they'll be new to some of you. I've posted these elsewhere in the past, but I don't remember where or when. I'll try and post more regularly to this topic - but it'll be more "Books You Don't See Often and If You Do, Not In This Condition".

I really love the coloring on this one. so simple, yet so affective!

You're like a late night AM radio DJ, hosting a "Radio Romance" show. Can we call in with requests?

You know, it occurs to me that this message board doesn't really have a thread devoted to romance comics in general. We have the Baker romance thread... and this thread has been devoted to "rarest romance comics"... What do you think, should we start another thread for all the rest?

And I thought mad dogs and Englishmen only went out in the mid day sun... or something like that? hm

I thought there was one. I remember some months back, member KillKillKill began posting huge numbers of his -- mostly low-grade -- books. I don't know what happened to that thread or to him. Perhaps he changed his name? hm

LoveJournal16fc100_zpscd5a9a79.jpg

LoveDiary16fc100_zps2b02827b.jpg

Keep posting Andy, keep posting! :D

I have to say, though, that I'm so late to the romance party, that if I start seriously collecting beyond Baker, I will have to hock all my worldly possessions to accumulate many of these books. (Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that!)

I thought there was one. I remember some months back, member KillKillKill began posting huge numbers of his -- mostly low-grade -- books. I don't know what happened to that thread or to him. Perhaps he changed his name? hm

KilIKillKill was a shill for a banned board member.

This one falls into a particular sub-category of my own: "How can it be that I've been collecting comics for XX number of years, and I'm only now seeing this one for the first time?"

Gorgeous.

Harry Anderson?

These are all great by the way, especially as most of this stuff didn't make it into the Gerber guides, and I doubt I'm the only one here who has never seen some of these books before.

KilIKillKill was a shill for a banned board member.

Ah, that explains his disappearance.

I find many of Colletta's romance covers to be so-so... but when he does hit the nail on the head, it results in exceptionally nice work, like that My Own Romance 62, to name just one.

Speaking of Colletta, was he the artist on Private Secretary 1 & 2, as I suspect? Who inked it, do you know? Those are well above average, too.

BTW- Do you happen to have a handy scan of Lovers 50? I have the book, but no pre-made scan.