• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,451 posts in this topic

The doorway filled with stars makes it look like the house is flying through space.

True-To-LifeRomances11_zpsa21d0ba7.jpg

It does. In fact, it's hard to imagine from what perspective you would see stars filling the doorway like that. hm

Still I love Cole romance covers.

The doorway filled with stars makes it look like the house is flying through space.

It does. In fact, it's hard to imagine from what perspective you would see stars filling the doorway like that. hm

I can't think of a logical reason either. Maybe it's intended to be a sci-fi/romance crossover.

I can't think of a logical reason either. Maybe it's intended to be a sci-fi/romance crossover.

I think it's supposed to be snow.

lol I can't believe I never thought of that. Especially with an L.B. Cole cover.

I knew I had to have a copy of this as soon as I saw Dr. Love post his a while ago. One of my favorite romance covers.

TrueLifeSecrets14_zps2e8dda87.jpg

It's a beaut alright.

Thanks. I never really gave Charlton a second look until seeing some of the books Dr. Love and others have been posting. Some real gems there.

I knew I had to have a copy of this as soon as I saw Dr. Love post his a while ago. One of my favorite romance covers.

Great cover!

So how is Branded by a Tattoo Artist ?

I enjoyed it (the tattoo is temporary).

All the stories are decently drawn by Cappello but the themes are not the normal romance fare.

*Brother and sister fall in love (he breaks it off when he finds out).

*Woman doesn't tell a terminally ill man he's really going to live.

*Woman asks the readers if she should let a former lover freeze to death in the snow or help him.

*Woman with temp tattoo poses in bikini for a painting, she refuses the artists advances and he dies trying to kill her.

Great stuff.

I never really gave Charlton a second look...Some real gems there.

Great copies, damonwad! Both the Cole and the Cappello are fantastic - I don't know how in heck you find these babies in such sweet shape. Black arts, I'm thinkin.

Charlton never gets a first look, much less a second. And yet they were the undisputed #1 leader in the genre in terms of output - 1370 issues (vs #2 DC with 932 issues), most of which were cranked out from 1955 on. Everybody rags on Charlton and yet somebody was buying these books - unless Charlton was just printing for the sake of realizing the economies of scale produced through their groundbreaking vertical integration in terms of manufacturing.

Charlton had distinct periods of artistic flowering, waxing and waning. A deep bullpen of talented artists, inkers and colorists. A strange fun place to work, where even Steve Ditko was tolerated and given the space to be...well, Ditko. And if you were Italian, like a lot of the Charltonians were, then the Derby compound was like the Badda Bing! was to Tony Soprano - home away from home.

There were just a few issues that qualify as Charlton GA. Artie Cappello kinda owned the True Life Secrets run. Take a look. The black covers are awesome cause they make the garish coloring POP and also because they're awesomely hard to get in grade.

You're probably right, but sci-fi romance would be a lot more fun!

and I'm gonna cross the line here for a moment and show you Cappello doing his Charlton gig 20 years down the road into Bronze 1971-72.

Sweethearts 115

Sweethearts115fc100_zpsurb8uesv.jpg

Sweethearts 126

Sweethearts126fc100_zps5d92eb8a.jpg

These are all great books! I don't think I've seen any of them before.

and I'm gonna cross the line here for a moment and show you Cappello doing his Charlton gig 20 years down the road into Bronze 1971-72.

Sweethearts 115

Sweethearts115fc100_zpsurb8uesv.jpg

Sweethearts 126

Sweethearts126fc100_zps5d92eb8a.jpg

These are all great books! I don't think I've seen any of them before.

Sweethearts 126 ?......unused Barbie and Ken cover ? GODBLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You're probably right, but sci-fi romance would be a lot more fun!

The woman he's kissing is actually a robot.

Ken