• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,473 posts in this topic

Thanks guys! much appreciated. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers romance collectors romance appreciators.

I still can't get a fix on the artists for these Fox covers. Whatever research I've done, though not exhaustive to date, has given me nada. Nothing in Overstreet, nothing in GCD. Jon Berk has great stuff on the Fox superhero earlier period, but on the romance he dries up. There are two or three distinctive hands at work and you'd know their work in an instant so it shouldn't be this hard. But it is. If you've got a hunch, chime in please.

The My Confession 7 is one of the big Fox romance books. There are other Fox books that are more obscure, some of the strange photocovers, and they will get big $ as they are rarely seen at all. But for drawn work, this book is much desired.

I passed on fighting for the Crippen 9.0 in 2007; it was just too much money for me considering we were only up to the M's in the Heritage rollout and I had to conserve resources for the who knew how many more romance books to come for the rest of the alphabet. That was a huge mistake. That book is a stunner. They all have bleed through (that I've seen) but this copy had no other visible issues. Very very clean. Then one of the two 7.5s came around on CC in 2012 and I passed again due to PQ. Another huge mistake. Prices had escalated so that the 7.5 with LT-OW was now going for what the 9.0 went for previously.

Finally a fellow boardie was graciously willing to part with the other 7.5 and this time I didn't flinch. If you come across one snap it up. It will always be priced higher than other comparably graded romance books - but romance books will always be priced lower than other genres.

'Cept funny animals! :D

And I think Funny Animals are great too!!

(I don't mean to imply that you said otherwise).

I love 'em, too. I was jazzed to pick this one up not long ago (against at best tepid competition).

RADC074E20141111_101231_zpse35e6784-1.jpg

Seems kinda high for that one, no? I bought a copy in about the same condition last summer for half that.

There can be only one. The corollary to that is it only takes two.

Yep. At our end of the pool, the water's shallow and there ain't many swimmers. :D

I love 'em, too. I was jazzed to pick this one up not long ago (against at best tepid competition).

Sweet pickup buddy! Dang, I like that book. I had my eye on that one as well, but when it crossed $150 three hours prior to the close, I bowed out.

Hey - who you callin tepid!? $150 is strong like bull in romance land! and if any of the later Panda wash issues come up you better watch your step mister.

Sweet pickup buddy! Dang, I like that book. I had my eye on that one as well, but when it crossed $150 three hours prior to the close, I bowed out.

Hey - who you callin tepid!? $150 is strong like bull in romance land! and if any of the later Panda wash issues come up you better watch your step mister.

This one's my fave rave among the PPs.

lf_zps9a23e77a.jpeg

lf_zps9a23e77a.jpeg

Ah, crossing over from the genre of Funny Animals to the genre of Funny Vegetables!

Very cool PP's, Sqeggsie! :)

lf_zps9a23e77a.jpeg

Ah, crossing over from the genre of Funny Animals to the genre of Funny Vegetables!

Very cool PP's, Sqeggsie! :)

Trying to get my collecting niche as narrow as possible! :D

Edited by Sqeggs

In other late breaking romance news

this Confession of the Loverlorn 53, one of the ACG Fab Freaky Four, closed on Ebay last night for $787.77. This price did not have sufficient participation to sustain in the future...possibly. By that I mean 2 guys took it to that level, the bunch below them dropping away at the low $300 range. Still, impressive.

Confessions0ftheLovelorn53fc72_Ebay_zpskoho6n51.jpg

Seems kinda high for that one, no? I bought a copy in about the same condition last summer for half that.

I was tracking this auction and was surprised by the final price, though the book is nicer than the advertised VG. If it wasn't for the two bidder scenario it probably would have gone for half that, so, yeah, the next copy might not go as high, but it's been a hot book for a while. I recall seeing a GD copy go for over $100 maybe 10 years ago, and that was a surprise as well. I feel fortunate to have picked up at 6.0-7.0 copy 15 years ago for $30.

I see a CGC 3.5 was BINned last November for $239.

Edited by rjpb

If you examine the comic close enough it appears to have a faint subscription crease or partial fold line down the center (?) plus there appears to be a small piece missing from top left corner of back cover. A problem with comic listings by Sellers, who don't use scanners and don't know comics is their comic doesn't show the true deficits that can knock it down in grade. I suspect this comic would grade a handsome VG+. I was ready to pay $300 myself and was shocked at the final hammer price. I am sure after this several more copies will find their way out of people's attics and on to eBay with crazy price tags attached.

Real nice books, Damon! Those are great examples of their work. I hear you on the slight tanning, keep me in mind if you upgrade! And I actually prefer the staples to be off the spine a little - keeps that outer wrap nice and tight.

Thanks Doc, and it's yours if I upgrade.

A couple recent pick-ups.

I like the Colletta True Tales but the Hartley cover is one of my favorites. I'd love to find a nice copy without the edge tanning in the white area some day.

TrueTalesOfLove24x_zps6d63dc82.jpg

Lovers39_zpsf85a5169.jpg

These are both great!