• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,451 posts in this topic

This one is pretty rare.

MyIntimiteAffair1_zpsbd6c5d3f.jpg

Southen State Collection goodness!

Should have been a pedigree even though (I think) it consisted entirely of No 1s.

My thoughts too. I know the Carson City and Denver were all 1st issue collections. This is original owner (I believe). Sure seemed like a lot of books. Maybe DTA didn't pursue it?

This one is pretty rare.

MyIntimiteAffair1_zpsbd6c5d3f.jpg

Southen State Collection goodness!

Should have been a pedigree even though (I think) it consisted entirely of No 1s.

My thoughts too. I know the Carson City and Denver were all 1st issue collections. This is original owner (I believe). Sure seemed like a lot of books. Maybe DTA didn't pursue it?

I think he said he was turned down for a pedigree designation but I may be misremembering.

August 4th, 2013

Culture and Thrills Inc./DTA Collectibles is proud to present the Southern States Collection. This 1,700 piece original owner collection was accumulated by an American soldier who purchased magazines, pulps and comic books directly off the newsstands of several southern states during his time in the military in the 1940's and 1950's.

This accumulation of material has never been released into the hobby as it was kept in the possession of a relative of the soldier until early 2013. The 1,700 piece collection consists of roughly one-third comic books and two-thirds magazines, pulps and digests. Even more exciting is that nearly every piece of this massive collection is a first issue!

The comic books in the Southern States collection focus on the romance, war, crime, western and funny animal genres with some horror and superhero titles as well. Plenty of very rare titles are included as well as some issues that are not documented in the Overstreet Price Guide!

The magazine and pulps are breathtaking with heavy emphasis on Men's Adventure, Girlie, Glamour, War and Movie/TV. Lots of very rare pulps are represented and many of the great artists of the time contribute to the visually arresting covers on these classic and rarely seen periodicals.

The condition is astounding considering the collection had to be moved when the original owner got a new assignment. Almost every piece of the collecion is a crisp copy with a glossy cover and nice pages. Many look like they could come off the newsstand today.

Are they sold with a certificate at least? Seems like a special collection.

...yes, they come with a certificate..... and they still have some left at www.dtacollectibles.com ..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I didn't get a certificate on the one Southern States slab I got off Ebay. Dangnabbit.

There was some drama (for me that is) on Timely's beautiful highest graded copy of My Intimate Affair #1. It went up on Ebay 8/4/13, a 7 day auction starting at $9.50. On 8/11, as the auction went into the final seconds, Timely put in his final bid 9 seconds out. At 6 seconds out I threw in my final bid of $378.99. At that same second my buddy Bumble Kitty entered $444.44. When the dust had cleared Timely had the book for $449.44. History will never reveal what his true final bid was...$450? who knows. Well, one guy does. :baiting:

I remember I was kinda surprised at the final price - I thought I had that one in the bag. Bumble Kitty I could understand - we'd been dukeing it out for years on Ebay. But Timely, buying high grade romance? What was the world coming to?

I think that was the last time DTA went with auction style. BIN's from that time on, certainly on what I track. Below are the Southern States list of slabbed romance. These books haven't sold in 2 years. There are at least two that did sell - a Daring Love #1 4.5 went for $1337 a month after the collection hit, and a Flaming Love #1 6.0, the only slabbed copy, disappeared somewhere along the way.

Big Book Romances #1 7.0 OWW $695

Brides' Romances #1 5.5 OWW $225

Campus Romances #1 8.0 OWW $695

Frontier Romances #1 7.5 OWW $795

Hollywood Confessions #1 7.5 OW $750

Just Married #1 8.5 OWW $245

Love Classics #1 8.0 W $495

Realistic Romances #1 6.0 OW $350

Real West Romances #4 7.0 OW $140

Search for Love #1 6.5 CROW $175

It's not the condition I usually go for, but Ragnarok might come around before I find one better. The only romance grey tone, or close to it.

SecretHearts59fc100_zpsuzt3ulrt.jpg

Baker went through a brief period, roughly coinciding with Diary Secrets 11 through 13, where he experimented with a "stipple" effect... often referred to as "grey tone". He also used the same effect, around the same time, on some of the Fightin' Marine covers, and probably on a few other St. John titles I can't recall at the moment.

Do these count?

ds13_zps81b781ae.jpg

I didn't get a certificate on the one Southern States slab I got off Ebay. Dangnabbit.

There was some drama (for me that is) on Timely's beautiful highest graded copy of My Intimate Affair #1. It went up on Ebay 8/4/13, a 7 day auction starting at $9.50. On 8/11, as the auction went into the final seconds, Timely put in his final bid 9 seconds out. At 6 seconds out I threw in my final bid of $378.99. At that same second my buddy Bumble Kitty entered $444.44. When the dust had cleared Timely had the book for $449.44. History will never reveal what his true final bid was...$450? who knows. Well, one guy does. :baiting:

I remember I was kinda surprised at the final price - I thought I had that one in the bag. Bumble Kitty I could understand - we'd been dukeing it out for years on Ebay. But Timely, buying high grade romance? What was the world coming to?

I think that was the last time DTA went with auction style. BIN's from that time on, certainly on what I track. Below are the Southern States list of slabbed romance. These books haven't sold in 2 years. There are at least two that did sell - a Daring Love #1 4.5 went for $1337 a month after the collection hit, and a Flaming Love #1 6.0, the only slabbed copy, disappeared somewhere along the way.

Big Book Romances #1 7.0 OWW $695

Brides' Romances #1 5.5 OWW $225

Campus Romances #1 8.0 OWW $695

Frontier Romances #1 7.5 OWW $795

Hollywood Confessions #1 7.5 OW $750

Just Married #1 8.5 OWW $245

Love Classics #1 8.0 W $495

Realistic Romances #1 6.0 OW $350

Real West Romances #4 7.0 OW $140

Search for Love #1 6.5 CROW $175

There were a few surprises with that auction. DTA initially priced the book around $950, which I passed on. When they put the book on ebay, they did not put CGC in the title, they put CGG, so fewer people than normal saw the listing. Had they put CGC, I'm sure I would have paid much more for it, or lost out completely!