• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,451 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, high quality romance is hard to come by over here in Scotland, so when something "real purty" catches your eye you just grab it and try and overlook the creases and wrinkles.

Anyway... one of the Colletta covers in my collection:

photo Colletta1_zpsa3ar7eqo.jpg

btw Dazza nice book, love this Colletta! and WTTB! I remember your comment on that Cole cover. Only two love books at the Glasgow Con? Something needs to be done...keep your eyes open for a romance sales thread sometime in the near future.

But it won't have a Girls' Romances 105. Sorry, friend. Yeh it is really that scarce!

and oh hey - check it out - in the above book, the surprised chick in the background who was getting cheated on for the redhead? She thought, well maybe it's my hair color, I'll go red too and then I'll get the guy! only to get doubletimed for a blonde, see below. What's a girl to do?

MyOwnRomance40fc100_zpsasf9orm9.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

While I'm not much of a photo cover fan, the Marvel /Timely romance ones are far more entertaining than most of the competition's.

ideal5.jpg

And so Ideal, "A Classical Comic" with such high hopes and pretty good art I thought, comes to an end with this switch to romance with #5. No credits in GCD/Atlas Tales, but I spy a Powell story. Overall, a fun book - I'll try and take some interior shots later.

Noted in part for the "Hi, Friends" anti-Wertham letter to the public in this issue. Which appeared in a few? other Marvel titles around this time (My Romance #2 from 11/48, etc).

Here's one you forgot, Doc.....I always wondered what the model thought when she saw it on the stands, used in this fashion?GOD BLESS......

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

my2017.2a.jpg

Here's one you forgot, Doc.....I always wondered what the model thought when she saw it on the stands, used in this fashion?GOD BLESS......

my2017.2a.jpg

Good question! lol

Does anyone know how these photos were selected? Did photo agencies have a bunch of available stills for use in various ways and the comic editors just chose ones they thought might fit? Or were the photos specially shot for the comics? hm

I'd imagine Goodman had access to pics with his huge output of Men's, True Crime, and Movie mags..... some of which are incredibly cool in their own right. GOD BLESS...

I'd imagine Goodman had access to pics with his huge output of Men's, True Crime, and Movie mags..... some of which are incredibly cool in their own right. GOD BLESS...

That's a good point. If I'm remembering correctly, those magazines made him much more money than did the comics. Maybe he had photo shoots for the mags and used the leftovers for comics. Or has anyone seen instances where the same photos appeared both in mags and comics?

When I joined up here over 10 years ago I was not a Romance enthusiast (unless, of course, it was my own....) and I started noticing posters whose contributions I'd liked were posting in these threads.... so I checked it out. At that time, as far as I was concerned, there were only 5 romance comics and they were all by Frazetta :cloud9: ....boy was I wrong. GOD BLESS...

and oh hey - check it out - in the above book, the surprised chick in the background who was getting cheated on for the redhead? She thought, well maybe it's my hair color, I'll go red too and then I'll get the guy! only to get doubletimed for a blonde, see below. What's a girl to do?

MyOwnRomance40fc100_zpsasf9orm9.jpg

:D Nice observation, Doc.

Is this a Colletta cover? Some of the Artwork inside is.

photo RC1_zpsnkl4naze.jpg

The same artwork had been used for the cover of Love Romances #68 just four years previously!

Personally, I'm a fan of a lot of the ACG romance covers. I'm assuming this one is by Ogden Whitney?

photo RC2_zpsfbe3bd0p.jpg

Maybe one day I'll own a Lovelorn #52 photo untitled_zpsfnavfnbx.png

my2017.2a.jpg

I love these "roll in the hay" covers. There seem to me quite a few.

I always thought this was cool run.....even when I didn't know anyone who collected romance. I saw it for the first time at the LCS over 20 years ago when a long time Romance collector decided to sell his collection to Dave..... hundreds of them. GOD BLESS...

FORBIDDEN%20LOVE%2010002.jpg

A seller on eBay selling a copy has identified the woman on this cover as actress Hazel Brooks ( Google her images). Quite the looker. Funny, I love classic golden age Hollywood films, and have seen one of her films before many times (Body and Soul) but even as I have long admired this cover, I never drew the connection. Thanks so much (thumbs u