• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,447 posts in this topic

This one's for you and your lady Ed

Each night before you go to bed, my baby

Whisper a little prayer for me, my baby

And tell all the stars above

This is dedicated to the one I love

ModernLove07fc100_zpsco56m9vt.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, Andy and Steve!

And thanks Andy for posting your beautiful Modern Love #7. The Crippen copy..I love it. If I were going to hoard one particular issue in all of comicdom, it would be this one. Tough to hoard, though, as I've only come across one copy thus far...a nice 5.0. Thanks for that, too! ;)(worship)

modlove7_dslab_f_zps9eb09c32.jpg

Out of my realm of comfort with another book I saw at the show, a high grade Personal Love 24 (Frazetta)... any quick opinions on that book?

Go for it Steve. Big romance book, one of top 10 or so, with tremendous crossover appeal, always has staying power. And oh yeh the art work is pretty dang good.

It'll only hurt for a second.

I second that emotion!

The doctor is back and he's making house calls! :cloud9:

I'd never seen this before. I guess Gaines and Feldstein were dealing with issues of racism from the pre-trend days. In that respect EC comics were still Educational Comics. Now I want one, but I gather it won't be cheap or easy to find.

Not racism on this one, more wrong side of tracks stuff. Surprisingly, it's the coal miner telling the farmer's boy to go take a walk.

Or, as Shakespeare put it, "The course of true love never did run smooth."

ModernLove03fc100_zpstoevuojy.jpg

My goodness, the condition of your books is phenomenal (I have this issue also, but not near as nice as yours)!

Out of my realm of comfort with another book I saw at the show, a high grade Personal Love 24 (Frazetta)... any quick opinions on that book?

Go for it Steve. Big romance book, one of top 10 or so, with tremendous crossover appeal, always has staying power. And oh yeh the art work is pretty dang good.

I second that emotion!

Thanks for the advice - the book was raw, it was gorgeous, but it was also too pricey so I passed.

Picked up this instead...

1fe6392a-2d5e-4e53-89dc-b0b1f663669f_zpskk8csfbi.jpg

I second that emotion!

Thanks for the advice - the book was raw, it was gorgeous, but it was also too pricey so I passed.

Not a bad consolation prize! (thumbs u

I second that emotion!

A great pick! I'd have to crack this one out, because it's got a very stylish Frazetta story inside.

Great pickup! Yeh if the #24 is out of line, then #25 is the way to go. The 8.0 is a great grade, on any other day could easily be the highest graded, and the PQ is a big +. For this time period CR-OW is the norm.

Sweet Baby book, too. (thumbs u That black cover is super tough.

Edited by Dr. Love

And now for something a little different. We're all about the front covers, and for good reason - in romance books, the backs are mostly advertising - not artistically interesting.

There was one publisher who managed to merge the two - DC, and all through the efforts of one man, Ira Schnapp. You can read more about him here, and it is fascinating. Thanks to adamstrange for the education.

Ira Schnapp - 10 part series

Let's follow the progression in one title, Secret Hearts. You can see the evolution of style. The direction is both purposeful and masterful.

Secret Hearts #6

SecretHearts06b100_zpsyqzkz6qm.jpg