• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,447 posts in this topic

Finally, after two years of back cover promotion, the decision came down to the editor: sell the space. DC would employ this strategy again in the future, but for the time being it would be back cover as usual.

For Girls' Romances, that would start with #18. A small world for these guys - Broadway Fashions, the advertiser, had their office on 48th St, two blocks from DC's offices on E. 46th.

GirlsRomances18fc100_zpsqhnqj0du.jpg

GirlsRomances18bc100_zpsnnz6doww.jpg

Style 2130 is not flattering on the figure.

And great stuff as usual, Dr. L!

+1, these are all fresh books to me.

Is there a scarcity index for the early (non-photo cover) issues of Girls' Romances?

+2, always great to see books you haven't noticed before.

Is there a scarcity index for the early (non-photo cover) issues of Girls' Romances?

Steve, if you mean Gerber, then yeh, he gave them a value, they're at 4. On paper, it doesn't look that hard to get them either. One indicator is slabs/issues or, even better, "unique" slabs/issues. That is, if there are 12 slabs for a run, you want to know if that is spread over 12 different issues or if one issue has 6 slabs covering a grade range and the rest of the slabs are spread out over different issues.

For the purposes of this conversation, Romance Trail is out, it's an all photo small run. That leaves three DC GA romance titles. From line drawn to code, the numbers look like this:

Girls' Love - 24 issues, #10-33. 12 slabs, 11 unique issues. Median grade 7.5

Girls' Romances - 25 issues, #7-31. 17 slabs, 11 unique issues. Median grade 8.5

Secret Hearts - 20 issues, #7-26. 3 slabs, 3 unique issues. Median grade 6.0.

The numbers say Secret Hearts is the hardest run to get.

As far as peds for DC GA romance, Crippen was the man. Church not so much. Savannah rules as far as SA and BA . But many of the GA issues can be had right now off Ebay, if completion were the goal. Now if you want sweet books at a good price, then it's a long long haul type of acquisition. Sweet books, price no object - almost the same deal. Shoot, I was paying $125-150 just for VF+ Crippens eight years ago! I'd be one of the few higher grade options, were I to sell my books. hm

I'll post some Secret Hearts next.

With this beautiful cover from #30, the DC look is coming into a sharper focus. Sekowsky is doing more of the work, and it is lush, dramatic, more art-like and less comicky. There never was much of word balloons on the covers, and there will be even less moving forward. Whatever we need to know about the setting will be delivered by the letterer Ira Schnapp in a text box, not spoken by the characters.

The Code is just a few months away, but it won't impact the DC romance titles.

GirlsRomances30fc100_zpscicegbm2.jpg

This one is terrific. I particularly like the pastel colors.

Ken

Great haul Stephen! :applause:

Marvel/Atlas Pike, Colletta, Hartley; Buscema Orbit; Harvey, and a sweet Ace painted cover! Now that's real real nice coming out of a local con. Could it be Harley? no con too small for the big man, they say

Dude, this Hartley you got is awesome! He was really hitting his stride around this point. Keep em coming, I know you've got the goods! :baiting:

Great Al Hartley cover

Scan-150517-0022_zps30oyyiyv.jpg

Finally, after two years of back cover promotion, the decision came down to the editor: sell the space. DC would employ this strategy again in the future, but for the time being it would be back cover as usual.

For Girls' Romances, that would start with #18. A small world for these guys - Broadway Fashions, the advertiser, had their office on 48th St, two blocks from DC's offices on E. 46th.

GirlsRomances18fc100_zpsqhnqj0du.jpg

GirlsRomances18bc100_zpsnnz6doww.jpg

Style 2130 is not flattering on the figure.

You never know until you try ... :baiting:

This one is terrific. I particularly like the pastel colors.

Ken

I hear you, Ken. You, me, adamstrange, warlord Mick, we all have the same strong reaction. One of the top pre-code for me. In the hand, if it's nice, it's blowaway. As usual, tough to find in grade, but there are two on Ebay right now.

Feels like a wash, even if it isn't.

Girls' Romances - 25 issues, #7-31. 17 slabs, 11 unique issues. Median grade 8.5

So for these three DC titles, are there certain issues within each of the aforementioned short runs that are particularly tough in your view (I don't rely much on the census stats)?

Stece, if you mean Gerber, then yeh, he gave them a value, they're at 4. On paper, it doesn't look that hard to get them either. One indicator is slabs/issues or, even better, "unique" slabs/issues. That is, if there are 12 slabs for a run, you want to know if that is spread over 12 different issues or if one issue has 6 slabs covering a grade range and the rest of the slabs are spread out over different issues.

For the purposes of this conversation, Romance Trail is out, it's an all photo small run. That leaves three DC GA romance titles. From line drawn to code, the numbers look like this:

The numbers say Secret Hearts is the hardest run to get.

As far as peds for DC GA romance, Crippen was the man. Church not so much. Savannah rules as far as SA and BA . But many of the GA issues can be had right now off Ebay, if completion were the goal. Now if you want sweet books at a good price, then it's a long long haul type of acquisition. Sweet books, price no object - almost the same deal. Shoot, I was paying $125-150 just for VF+ Crippens eight years ago! I'd be one of the few higher grade options, were I to sell my books. hm

I'll post some Secret Hearts next.

And how about 10 cent SA DC Romance (late 1950's to very early 1960's), Doc?