• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,447 posts in this topic

Steve, Love that art. WonderCon pick-up? Saul had some nice reasonably priced art there.

No, picked it up at a local valley show some years ago (happy to have it, even though I'm not an OA guy).

What's been going on lately with comics that have Dan DeCarlo covers?

I've seen comics auctioning for $200 that a few years ago would go for $20.

These Jetta comics are an example. They've always been tough to find and get, but if memory serves, they used to sell in the $200 to $300 range (at best) for mid-grade copies. Look at these auction results!

I've always wanted a Jetta comic (or three), but I am pretty sure at this rate I won't be adding any to my collection.

Was Dan DeCarlo recently highlighted in a book, or reprint series, or something? Why is he (seemingly) suddenly so hot?

154486.jpg.d9cb1cb9184c25156364794eb4da0cf4.jpg

These Jetta comics are an example. They've always been tough to find and get, but if memory serves, they used to sell in the $200 to $300 range (at best) for mid-grade copies. Look at these auction results!

I've always wanted a Jetta comic (or three), but I am pretty sure at this rate I won't be adding any to my collection.

Was Dan DeCarlo recently highlighted in a book, or reprint series, or something? Why is he (seemingly) suddenly so hot?

I'm pretty sure the bidders in those auctions were counting on the grades actually being much better than the listed VG+.

I'm pretty sure the bidders in those auctions were counting on the grades actually being much better than the listed VG+.

Now that I look at them, you're right, those are FN+ range copies. Maybe higher but none of them had photos that showed interior pages. They had a lot of edge tanning so who knows. Really nice clean covers, that's for sure. Interestingly, at least one of them had an arrival stamp on the back showing it was sold or distributed in Milan, Italy.

Now that I look at them, you're right, those are FN+ range copies. Maybe higher but none of them had photos that showed interior pages. They had a lot of edge tanning so who knows. Really nice clean covers, that's for sure. Interestingly, at least one of them had an arrival stamp on the back showing it was sold or distributed in Milan, Italy.

The seller is in Italy. I also noticed the tanning, which made me hesitant to go too high on them.

Some recent romance-related comics I had graded:

Daring Love #1; A Moon, A Girl...Romance #9; and Women in Love #2 (cover by Kamen/Feldstein)

A member of the Daring Love club! WOW (worship)

EC, Fox, and I spy a Farmer's Daughter #1 in the back? and more besides? Dang, Doohick - did you pay for all this from selling your romance longbox last year? Boys, there's gold in these golden love books!

Some recent romance-related comics I had graded:

Daring Love #1; A Moon, A Girl...Romance #9; and Women in Love #2 (cover by Kamen/Feldstein)

A member of the Daring Love club! WOW (worship)

EC, Fox, and I spy a Farmer's Daughter #1 in the back? and more besides? Dang, Doohick - did you pay for all this from selling your romance longbox last year? Boys, there's gold in these golden love books!

Thanks! I've had most of these for a while, but the romance longbox definitely helped pay to get some of these graded a few months ago. (You have a good memory on the romance longbox... )

one of the quirky things I've noticed about Charlton (especially mid-to-late 50s romance) is how much they like to use interior splashes from one title as the cover to another title. Noticed this today though going through a Sweethearts from 1954...

the Charlton in question

LRl9I4.jpg

the interior splash

gr4N6s.jpg

then a few years later, but at St. John

r18j.jpg

First time I had seen this. Wonder how the art moved around?

one of the quirky things I've noticed about Charlton (especially mid-to-late 50s romance) is how much they like to use interior splashes from one title as the cover to another title. Noticed this today though going through a Sweethearts from 1954...

the Charlton in question

LRl9I4.jpg

the interior splash

gr4N6s.jpg

then a few years later, but at St. John

r18j.jpg

First time I had seen this. Wonder how the art moved around?

Neat find. Looks like the St John cover was a swipe or, possibly, they bought some of the Charlton art. St John was running on fumes at that point. I think flipping images is fairly easy -- not that I would know how to do it!

Here's your second then, Jack. And a real great book to focus in on - the first story is a sweet Gustavson.

Quality produced 358 romance issues. Gustavson has less than 20 credits, and only a few splashes. One of those is from the Diary Loves 11.

When you start picking up the photocovers, buddy, it's a done deal. When the Big Shot Dealer at the con asks "and what do you collect", might as well say it loud and proud - "ROMANCE". lol

But only a little bit, we understand!

DiaryLoves11fc100_zpsvct2imno.jpg

DiaryLoves11intc180_zps5lcml9ke.jpg