• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,447 posts in this topic

Quality had a great stable and produced some real nice books.

LoveLettes02fc100_zps3m5gmuug.jpg

As a human with a Y chromosome, you'd never catch me collecting Quality Romance comics. :sumo:

War comics, however, are entirely different matter. :whistle:

TrueWarRom6.jpg

TrueWarRom8.jpg

DC's management was done with photos after 6 issues. To understand why, it helps to grasp the market dynamic at the time. Romance, the new comic genre, was pulling in outstanding numbers as it tapped into a completely new demographic. The industry was in a feeding frenzy. The romance ramp-up was simply explosive. Below are numbers for the whole genre, all publishers included.

Romance Boom

Oct 1947 to Dec 1948 - 15 issues

Jan-June 1949 - 42 issues

July-Dec 1949 - 256 issues

Jan-June 1950 - a staggering 332 issues, an average of nearly two romance issues every day. No new genre in the history of comics from the 1930's through the 1970's ever so dominated the racks over a six month period.

By this point more than 1 in 4 of all comics published was a romance comic. You can kind of see it in this pic, especially as you move to the right side of the rack and the alphabetical order heads toward L for Love.

COMIC-BOOK-RACK_zps0mjuutko.jpg

However - such a torrid pace was "not sustainable".

Romance Bust

July-Dec 1950 - 150 issues, steadily declining with 34 for July and 18 for December. In 1950, "publishers kissed off no fewer than 117 of 147 romance titles."

Marvel saw fully 25 of its 30 romance titles cancelled or suspended in 1950. The vast majority of Marvel's romance titles didn't make it beyond a second or third issue. The market forces proved even more fickle for Fox - all 21 romance titles died in 1950, along with the entire company. Similar downturns were in store for Fawcett and Quality.

Of its four initial titles (Girls' Love, Girls' Romances, Romance Trail and Secret Hearts), DC cancelled Romance Trail and suspended Secret Hearts for 1 1/2 years while they figured out what the heck was going on and pivoted to a new strategy for 1951:

Line drawn covers, especially to separate themselves from the big dog Fawcett who continued to pump out their entire romance line with photo-covers on a monthly basis (everyone else was bi-monthly at best). Along those same lines, cover content was key - Fawcett covers were consistently upbeat, and smiling couples were their thing. DC, who had started out with the same message, instead turned up the drama volume - heartbreak and tears was to become their dominant romance theme for the next 25 years. They also decided to forgo back cover advertising, a big source of revenue, in favor of a concerted artistic drive at self-promotion. These back covers were more than just house ads - they were advertising campaigns, led by one extraordinary man - Ira Schnapp.

i'm kinda partial to photo covers

There's no accounting for taste. :baiting:

#1,2, and a Canadian 3, with Ira Schnapp killing it on the bc.

GirlsRomances01fc100_zpslfdga9nr.jpg

GirlsRomances02fc100_zps6jce30yp.jpg

GirlsRomances03fc100_zpsx4luwr1p.jpg

GirlsRomances03bc100_zpsac9tjtbt.jpg

Beautiful set! Striking prints, and great photos! Thanks for posting! :applause:

Thanks guys, my pleasure. (thumbs u

So, after the short initial six issue or so run of photo-covers, came the new look.

For the period 1949-1952, it was ushered in by Robert Kanigher, a writer/editor who would have much more success and recognition for his direction of the war books and Wonder Woman than the romance. As he himself said in a rare interview:

"I never asked… I… I never worked with anyone. That is, I never worked with the publisher, the assistant publisher, the editor-in-chief, I… nobody. Whit (Whitney Ellsworth, editorial director) started it by just giving me titles and that’s the last I saw of him. And then… those were the romance titles, and no-one seems to know anything about the romance editors, do they?"

That would be correct. In addition, we're not sure who the pencillers were on specific issues for the first few years, at least not until John Romita took over in 1957 and became the dedicated artist for the romance titles. It could be any one of these guys: Mike Sekowsky, Sy Barry, Irv Novick, Tony Abruzzo, or Bernard Sachs. Sachs was the predominant inker, and it could be that the DC look has more to do with his influence than we realize.

Edited by Dr. Love