• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just finished IC #6... <spoilers>

412 posts in this topic

Right, either it is a lie by Cap Boomerang and a mis-direction by Meltzer, or it is a half-truth: as you say, Cap was 'at the helm' of somebody, maybe Flash, while GG was simply the host for somebody else.

Of course, all this assumes Flash powers are inherited, which itself doesn't make a whole lot of sense as they were the result of a chemical accident, except that's the way it works in the DCU: Impulse is the future descendent of Barry Allen if I recall correctly.

Hmmm.

Exactly, it is a long-established fact that the Flash breeds speed.

Oh man, I've been waiting a loooong time to say that one. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Of course, all this assumes Flash powers are inherited, which itself doesn't make a whole lot of sense as they were the result of a chemical accident, except that's the way it works in the DCU: Impulse is the future descendent of Barry Allen if I recall correctly.Hmmm.

The Intial Creation of the powers were an accident but the descendants kept reaping the benefits

Are you DAN?

Pay attention MK, I know it's not easy...

The question asked was if the mother isn't Golden Glider, and Captain Boomerang was the BIOLOGICAL father - which female super-speedster could be the mother?

To which I replied there are no female super-speedsters that would have been old enough to have a kid with Captain Boomerang (since Jesse Quick & Lady Flash would have been kids at that time).

And then Dan brought up Flash #302 and waved. Doesn't look like Captain Boomerang making out with a super-speedster to me. (Unless CB was occupying Golden Glider's body). The Flash/Golden Glider tryst has already been discussed - I brought it up AGAIN in this thread.frustrated.gif

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=630917&page=&vc=1

I was able to obtain copies of Flash 302 & 303 this afternoon. Aside from having the most atrocious Carmine Infantino artwork there are definitely two things that struck me about these issues:

1) It is possible that Flash and the Glider had an off-camera "quickie" in the first half of issue #302. GG was wearing a Magic Diamond on her forehead which made Barry believe that she was his (late but not really) wife Iris, and when she first uses it on him she has Barry carry her off to someplace "private". However, while he is in her control he is helpless to resist but he is aware of what is going on. I'm sure he would not forget an intimate encounter with her, unless, well maybe she lay there like a board and they were in an uncomfortable spot. I suppose he could have omitted it from his memoirs since he knew Iris would be reading them. In both issues GG makes remarks about his great athletic body and refers to him in #302 as her "Super-Speed Lover". She is extremely anxious to get it on with the Top in the Flash's body when she thinks Roscoe has taken control in issue #303.

2) The Top was not an interesting villain. And GG, while kind of hot, is equally lame.

Are you DAN?

Pay attention MK, I know it's not easy...

The question asked was if the mother isn't Golden Glider, and Captain Boomerang was the BIOLOGICAL father - which female super-speedster could be the mother?

To which I replied there are no female super-speedsters that would have been old enough to have a kid with Captain Boomerang (since Jesse Quick & Lady Flash would have been kids at that time).

And then Dan brought up Flash #302 and waved. Doesn't look like Captain Boomerang making out with a super-speedster to me. (Unless CB was occupying Golden Glider's body). frustrated.gif

Are you suffering from this pathological assholism, or do you actually enjoy it?

Unclench. Be personable. Stop being the unrelenting Message Board Information Machine... while you can be a handy resource at times, you're also a total and unpleasant in the extreme.

Now that we've got that out of the way:

Donut made an interesting point with the posting of that cover, in that from your summary and the one provided in IC, it was never really clear what exactly the MOOD was of that issue and GG in particular.

Sorry that the conversation has spun so WILDLY out of your control, O Master of The Universe, but I appreciate Donut's input. Try not to freak out.

You've got some serious problems.

I know Dan quite well, and I asked him a simple question, and I DO respect his opinion, I just was not sure what he was trying to say (since he was replying to something I had written). You decided to stick your nose in AGAIN and, as usual, you are quick to start name-calling and throw insults around when someone replies critically to one of your posts.

You've got some serious problems.

I know Dan quite well, and I asked him a simple question, and I DO respect his opinion, I just was not sure what he was trying to say (since he was replying to something I had written). You decided to stick your nose in AGAIN and, as usual, you are quick to start name-calling and throw insults around when someone replies critically to one of your posts.

You set the tone for our conversations, bud... or have you forgotten your hissy fit up in Comics General already?

It's a shame, really, as I would enjoy having a civil discussion with you about IC and various other modern books.

I set the tone? 27_laughing.gif

You want to talk comics, let's talk comics. I have no problem with that. Never did.

Well, yes, you did. You went and attacked me for no reason whatsoever... it's all there for the world to see.

confused-smiley-013.gif

But whatever, I don't want to further muddy the only interesting thread on the boards, so let's get back to our wild speculation, shall we?

Is anyone else concerned that we're going to see a semi-massive retcon happening here with "erased/recovered memories" and the like? That line, "Go get the Flash," is still bothering me. In the context it was given, it would appear that Meltzer would have us believe that the Flash was indeed part of the mind-swap...

Checklist-

Sue Dibny was murdered, by who is still unknown. Current evidence suggests The Atom, or someone with similar powers or capable of controlling him. The evidence is odd, but this is being refuted and argued from my knowledge left from high school biology, human cells have membranes, plants have cell walls, cells with membranes reform after contact or pressure is applied (for a primitive example, poke your cheek, it goes inward but once you stop poking it goes back to normal, poke a plant, and it will not reform, I don’t think footprints would still exist under normal circumstances.

Ralph said he hadn’t been on patrol in months, Sue rushed him out the door, presumable that the killer knew she’d be alone, someone with knowledge of their life.

In a scene proceeding Sue’s death, Atom comes through the phone line to Jean’s desk, his first remark is that he’s late.

Jean Loring was attacked, in a much less intricate manner than Sue, as she was hung and left for dead, rather than being killed and having the body disfigured to confuse investigators.

Has Lois Lane been warned or threatened? Her and Jack Drake received a note from the same person, he was also given a gun to defend himself. I’d say Lois was given a warning, not a threat by someone.

Captain Boomerang was told to kill Drake by the Calculator who had received funds from another anonymous person(s) did he say one account had fake names? Or was it multiple accounts had fake names?

Who ever is entering the homes of these people is doing so without forcing an entry or breaking in. Teleporters and phasers have been mentioned, but with the latest evidence, Atom, or someone with his abilities seems like a good guess

The origin of Captain Boomerang’s son was still up for questioning. He has boomerang skills, but also super speed, the only option given for the mother is Golden Glider. Bodies had been changed in the past, did Captain Boomerang possess the Flash and impregnate Golden Glider? Are there women good with boomerangs?

Batman has demanded that a motive is needed for Sue’s death, in scenes where he is studying the case, he almost always has a picture of Ralph nearby. The solution of the case has been repeatedly shown to be left in Batman’s hands, but he has been shown to be confused as much as everyone else is.

Green Arrow has played a huge role through the series, but I have a feeling he hasn’t reached the apex of his role in this. His biggest problem now is dealing with Flash’s problems in knowing about the memory alterings, including Batman’s. What’s odd is how defensive he is to the memory changes when he actually slugged Hawkman over it.

Merlyn, Deadshot, and Monocle have been shown repeatedly as well, but they have done little aside from being pissed about not knowing who the killer is, and getting pounded on by Green Arrow and company. No one that has been focused on in this story has escaped from having a pivotal role.

Back to the murder of Sue which started all of this. Batman asks the question who benefits. One benefit is the turmoil in the hero community, how none feel safe and are scrambling to protect their family members. Though that benefit doesn’t seem likely, as most villains want power or money, not to scare the heroes, (when confronted, most of the villains have pleaded their case that they don’t know what’s going on and they’re they good guys in this too. The second benefit, playing off the first, is the heroes and villains clashing in a war, where they would wipe each other out, but the chances of that are slim. The third is the emotional consequence. Who has benefited from the death of Sue and attack on Jean? Ray Palmer, he pretty much got his wife back. Was anyone else confused why the hell he gave Jean a crossbow to defend herself, it seemed absurd. Yet again, the attack on Jack Drake doesn't benefit anyone does it?

However, Atom has had several instances in which we’ve heard his thoughts, and he remarked how he prayed when rescuing Jean, which makes it genuine to the reader. So evidence mounts against Atom, while his actions move in the other direction, leaving the conclusion to be he's a red herring, or he's being controlled.

I'm kinda pissed off I haven't been able to figure it out, I've been looking at everything, numbers and letters that are there as decoration, even those wierd black designs on the walls in Dr. Midnight's lab.

On what is a fifty-fifty guess though, I'd say a hero or "good" guy is behind most of Identity Crisis.

Yeah, whatever MK.

I wish I had the issues to check against, but here's the only text synopsis of those issues that I could find:

http://www.geocities.com/capcomet/sssv-ld.html

In the museum, "Green Lantern" made a pass at Black Canary. She knocked him out by throwing him to the ground, and called to the rest of the League that the five were impostors. Green Arrow quickly defeated "Zatanna," while the Flash tied up "Batman" and "Wonder Woman" with her golden lasso. "Superman" decided to take direct action, instead of the behind the scenes role he had wanted. He was suddenly struck down by a magical bolt from the real Superman, in the Wizard's body. He explained that Zatanna and Red Tornado had rescued the "Secret Society" from their outer space prison. The entire group then transported up to the satellite, where Zatanna used the Phoenician statue and the Wizard's power glove to return everyone's spirit where it belonged.

I thought that perhaps there was a scene in the three issue arc where Flash was incapacitated, but according to the synopsis given, aside from Red Tornado, none of the unaffected members (Green Arrow, Hawkman, Flash, Red Tornado, Elongated Man, Black Canary) were anything more than slightly suspicious until Green Lantern acted out of character.

Post Crisis continuity has changed Wonder Woman to Black Canary within the context of the story, so the rules of the story must have changed (probably when Ollie hit on the Black Canary and she didn't respond) - although all of the other players remain the same.

So, what does "Go get the Flash" mean?

The League did know each other's identities at that time, so maybe the Flash didn't think anything of Superman taking a photo of him and Batman with their masks off. They could have told him it was for a scrapbook or something. Maybe they hoped Flash would call them by their "real" names when they had their masks off..

I'm kicking myself for not noticing this earlier.

Consider the four victims (or near-victims) thus far:

Sue Dibny

Jean Loring

Lois Lane

Jack Drake

Of the four, only TWO (Lois and Jack) received notes before their attacks.

Why?

Could these actually be two SEPARATE sets of crimes, one involving Sue and Jean and the other involving Lois and Jack? Would that be the ultimate red herring? The theories involving Sue and Jean and Ray tend to make sense until you start trying to figure in the attack on Jack Drake which makes very little sense at all in the context of the other crimes (specifically crimes against women, physical assault, etc.)... and the sidebar with Lois and HER note seems almost completely out of place (indeed, she WASN'T "next", Jack Drake was).

Who is leaving the notes? Are they a warning from a friend or foe?

And one more thing that is bothering me, and really, this is just a flaw of the medium, I hope:

In Jean Loring's flashback, we SEE the person behind the door. Now, that means (provided Meltzer is playing by "the rules") that there WAS SOMEONE THAT LOOKED JUST LIKE THAT behind the door. That wasn't HER recollection of the events, that was the "God" perspective of the storyteller providing us with that glimpse into the scenario. The picture cannot lie. There was someone behind that door... so the theories about Jean strangling herself seem erroneous to me.

And, of course, I would be remiss if I ignored the fact that that shape behind the door looked like Captain Boomerang.

AND from there we can figure that Boomerang was using his former Suicide Squad teammate Slipknot's knot-style and possibly the Miraclo he was trying to deal in issue #1 to more easily do away with Jean Loring...

AND from THERE we can figure that Boomerang was using the aforementioned "Atom belt" that was ALSO connected to the Suicide Squad to get inside Sue Dibny's head to kill her...

AND from THERE we can figure that Boomerang was going to use Luthor's armor that we saw in issue #1 to kill Lois-- armor that was to be stolen by Bolt (another former Suicide Squadder) but that was circumvented by the shooting of Bolt,the interference of Ralph and the subsequent interception of the armor... so LOIS WAS NEVER ATTACKED.

Lots of borrowed/Black Market-type technologies. Who profits? Boomerang certainly does, as all he wanted was to be recognized as a villain again and wreaking this sort of havoc among the superhero community sure does that for him. If he would have gone out chucking boomerangs at his victims, it wouldn't have been long before SOMEONE would have put two and two together, right? With the scattered technologies (even the heat gun), the heroes haven't known which way was up nor did they even know who to go after. Rather brilliant on CB's part, if that is in fact what he did.

(And, obviously, let us not forget that Boomerang attacked and killed Jack Drake shortly after calling his son telling him that he was finally going to make a name for himself again. And note that he DID FINALLY use the BOOMERANG to kill Jack Drake. The question here is, why Jack Drake? How did anyone know of his son's secret identity?)