• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just finished IC #6... <spoilers>

412 posts in this topic

And, okay, so I'm re-reading #4...

On the first page, the narrator says it is currently "thirty seconds from now"...

We see Jean, we see the PHONE which shows that 33 seconds ago a call was placed for/received by the Atom...

So, she walks in, the murderer is hiding behind the door, but she has the time to call the Atom in three seconds as she's being assaulted?

This isn't adding up... confused.gif

On the first page, the narrator says it is currently "thirty seconds from now"...

We see Jean, we see the PHONE which shows that 33 seconds ago a call was placed for/received by the Atom...

So, she walks in, the murderer is hiding behind the door, but she has the time to call the Atom in three seconds as she's being assaulted?

she called Atom three seconds before "now" and in another 30 seconds the scene happens.

she called Atom three seconds before "now" and in another 30 seconds the scene happens.

"So, she walks in, the murderer is hiding behind the door, but she has the time to call the Atom in three seconds as she's being assaulted?"

I'm wondering if the (suposedly) Atom's footprints were not there from actually killing her but to mindwipe or repair a mindwipe? And what did Green Arrow mean when answering the Flash about Batman being mindwiped saying: "You think he hasn't done the same to us?" Lot going on here to ponder about, very enjoyable!

And okay, so I'm wondering again (I haven't read the original JLA 166-168, so bear with me)...

Captain Boomerang's son-- is he ACTUALLY the son of Barry Allen? I seem to remember someone saying in one of these threads that the Flash wasn't present during the whole "body-swap" storyline; but clearly he WAS in Meltzer's retelling, as during the flashback, when they're all taking pictures of the heroes with their masks off, someone says "Go get the Flash".

So is it possible that Boomerang was in Flash's body during that little episode, and is it possible that Boomerang went off and got it on with Golden Glider?

That would, somewhat technically, though certainly in Boomerang's mind, make the boy Captain Boomerang's son provided he was "at the helm" when Boomerang/Flash impregnated Golden Glider, no?

Captain Boomerang was a member of the SSOSV and the kid does posess super speed... I think the main question here is WHY was this storyline thrown in? After all, the book isn't called "Paternity Crisis".

And okay, so I'm wondering again (I haven't read the original JLA 166-168, so bear with me)...

Captain Boomerang's son-- is he ACTUALLY the son of Barry Allen? I seem to remember someone saying in one of these threads that the Flash wasn't present during the whole "body-swap" storyline; but clearly he WAS in Meltzer's retelling, as during the flashback, when they're all taking pictures of the heroes with their masks off, someone says "Go get the Flash".

So is it possible that Boomerang was in Flash's body during that little episode, and is it possible that Boomerang went off and got it on with Golden Glider?

That would, somewhat technically, though certainly in Boomerang's mind, make the boy Captain Boomerang's son provided he was "at the helm" when Boomerang/Flash impregnated Golden Glider, no?

Captain Boomerang was a member of the SSOSV and the kid does posess super speed... I think the main question here is WHY was this storyline thrown in? After all, the book isn't called "Paternity Crisis".

Unless Meltzer is re-writing shown continuity (instead of implanting), Barry Allen was not one of the heroes who was part of the mind/body swap between some of the JLA and some of the SSOSV. Barry, GA and others were the heroes that figured it out and helped switch everyone back, but for a while some of them were subdued by the "evil" League. If CB and the Flash had switched bodies that would explain the super-speed paternity issue, but I took "Now go get the Flash" to mean that one of them needed to bring Flash's unconscious body over and they would take his picture of him with his mask off.

I personally think that the father of the kid is one of two people:

1) the Top, and that Golden Glider let Captain Boomerang think that the kid was Digger's. She hooked up with Digger, found out she was pregnant by the Top (possibly when he was in possession of Barry's father's body), had the kid and they decided to put it up for adoption...

or

2) Barry Allen. That GG was so horny when she used the magic diamond on the Flash to make him fall in love with her (and be completely in her control) in Flash #302 that she decided to "try him out" before she helped the Top take over Barry's body in #303... to test the equipment... literally. Since Barry was brainwashed he conveniently doesn't remember... the diamond made him think she was his supposedly deceased wife Iris, so he definitely would have been "happy" to see her (and get it on). Then she and the Top are defeated, GG hooks up with Digger, they do it, she learns she's pregnant and she tells him the kid was his. Things aren't working out after the kid is born and they decide to put it up for adoption.

Anybody else see issue 1 on the OC tonight?

um yeah, neither did I... blush.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Yep, I am forced to watch that horrible show. I did, however, smile at that scene.

Back on topic....great theories by everybody. Batman can't be involved. That would be a little over the top in my opinion.

I really like the Atom #2/3 scenario. It's plausible, and actually makes the most sense.

Although, I like the Jean Loring idea. Especially after reading Helionut's explanation. Why would the killer blindfold her?

I still have no clue... but I appreciated the story MUCH better reading it in one sitting... gee --- monthly pamphlets suck for following a detailed mystery story like this...

Agreed - this will be a great series to read in TPB format.

The Boomerang-as-Flash fathering Golden Glider's kid definitely makes sense.

Though Kev's alternate explanation is based on some impressive research into that old Top storyline, introducing the Top now would seem to be a real cheat since Boomerang Jr has only shown up in Identity Crisis, and the Top continuity implant only in Geoff Johns Flash tie-in.

For reference, here's the body switch from the JLA 166-168

Superman <=> Wizard

Wonder Woman <=> Plant Master

Batman <=> Blockbuster

Zatanna <=> Star Sapphire

GL <=> Reverse Flash

In Identity Crisis #3 it is similar

Superman <=> Wizard

Black Canary <=> Plant Master

Batman <=> Blockbuster

Zatanna <=> Star Sapphire

GL <=> Reverse Flash

This follows the by-now-well-established practice that-- post-Crisis-- Wonder Woman's place in JLA history is taken by Black Canary.

So if Meltzer has added Flash retroactively into the mix, he could have retroactively added Capt. Boomerang as well. But that's also kind of a cheat, as he could have chosen to telegraph that implant back in IC #3: there are clearly only 5 bad guys tied up, he could have easily added a shadowy 6th figure with his back turned as a clue. The "Go get the Flash" comment certainly suggests this is the way Meltzer is going, unless what was meant was "Go get Reverse-Flash," meaning "Let's next photo Green Lantern being inhabited by the Reverse-Flash" (GL is in the background of that panel MK mentions)

So... what if the original Reverse-Flash is behind this all? He has a history of killing super-hero spouses-- he killed Barry Allen's wife until that was ret-conned away. He could also be the source for Boomerang Jr.'s super-speed. Didn't he have the power to inhabit other bodies?-- wasn't that a plot point of the Trial of the Flash issues in the early 1980s??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And what if this is part of the Green Lantern:Rebirth solution as well? The Reverse Flash switch with GL gets "reversed" again prior to Emerald Twilight. With the subsequent death of Hal Jordan, Reverse-Flash then inhabits Capt Boomerang. With the death of Boomerang, Reverse-Flash inhabits the Atom, perhaps framing the Atom for Sue Digby's death (post-mortem medulla-stomp)?

Wheels within Wheels within Wheels! screwy.gif

BTW: Is anybody else mentally preparing themselves to be let down by the real resolution once revealed in Identity Crisis #7? frown.gif

Though Kev's alternate explanation is based on some impressive research into that old Top storyline, introducing the Top now would seem to be a real cheat since Boomerang Jr has only shown up in Identity Crisis, and the Top continuity implant only in Geoff Johns Flash tie-in.

Although the new Captain Boomerang was introduced in Identity Crisis, I don't expect the true secret of his parentage to be revealed in #7. I suspect that this is a story that Geoff Johns will be telling in the Flash, and Meltzer and Johns worked together to fit his debut into IC to give him a stronger introduction than in some random issue of the Flash.

It might possibly come out in #216 (resolution to "the Top is still around" story) or #217 (the Captain Boomerang funeral issue) or many months down the line.

yknow, this whole footprint in brain tissue thing still bothers me. What does that mean anyway? You dont STAND on a plane of brain tissue! Its a mass of folded over tissues...you'd also leave dents in the cieling from yor head in the layer above you. So maybe youre sasying that he went sub-atomic size and enlarged himself at that very spot, made the footprints and then shrunk down again and exited the body?? SOunds good except that Atom only travels at superspeed in phonelines along the electric current that travels at speed of light.

As a tiny Atom, hed have had to travel the equivalent of about what 1000 miles at his size from her ear to that spot in her brain.....WALKING, or at best travelling the exact correct vein to the perfect spot. Think of choosing just the right subway out of millions of choices without a map.

Even if all Ive said is bad science... I still think the Atom is a red herring.

yknow, this whole footprint in brain tissue thing still bothers me. What does that mean anyway? You dont STAND on a plane of brain tissue! Its a mass of folded over tissues...you'd also leave dents in the cieling from yor head in the layer above you. So maybe youre sasying that he went sub-atomic size and enlarged himself at that very spot, made the footprints and then shrunk down again and exited the body?? SOunds good except that Atom only travels at superspeed in phonelines along the electric current that travels at speed of light.

As a tiny Atom, hed have had to travel the equivalent of about what 1000 miles at his size from her ear to that spot in her brain.....WALKING, or at best travelling the exact correct vein to the perfect spot. Think of choosing just the right subway out of millions of choices without a map.

And by walking he'd leave a trail of foot prints not just one set!

Good point. Beyond that, the feet don't even appear to be the same size. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good point. Beyond that, the feet don't even appear to be the same size. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Could be a Clayface construct. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Could be a Clayface construct. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ooo, yeah... Clayface was notoriously bad at matching his shoe sizes... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It definitely seemed strange to me. I suppose that he was somehow floating in there, found what he thought was good spot planted his feet and somehow increased his mass but not his size to exert pressure on the flow of blood to her brain. Atom is supposedly a brilliant scientist with experience in exploring the human body at subatomic size. Jean is supposedly brilliant though...even if she is a lawyer.Batman... well, he's in a class by himself.

One thing that has occurred to me is that perhaps what we see as indentations are actually carefully placed laser surgery marks... but that type of precision would not have been able to done from so far away.

Remember, we don't see anyone near her. No one throws her on a table - she convulses from the lack of blood flowing to her brain - she is having seizures. She was burned to cover that evidence.

I'm still buying microscopic assassination. The question is, if it's not the Atom (the obvious choice based on the evidence), then who? At this point we're looking for any evidence which will exonerate poor Ray Palmer.

It definitely seemed strange to me. I suppose that he was somehow floating in there, found what he thought was good spot planted his feet and somehow increased his mass but not his size to exert pressure on the flow of blood to her brain. Atom is supposedly a brilliant scientist with experience in exploring the human body at subatomic size. Jean is supposedly brilliant though...even if she is a lawyer.Batman... well, he's in a class by himself.

One thing that has occurred to me is that perhaps what we see as indentations are actually carefully placed laser surgery marks... but that type of precision would not have been able to done from so far away.

Remember, we don't see anyone near her. No one throws her on a table - she convulses from the lack of blood flowing to her brain - she is having seizures. She was burned to cover that evidence.

I'm still buying microscopic assassination. The question is, if it's not the Atom (the obvious choice based on the evidence), then who? At this point we're looking for any evidence which will exonerate poor Ray Palmer.

But, as I asked in an earlier post, why were her clothes so torn up? Why was her face bloodied?

Same with Jean... why was her face cut? How, if she did indeed tie herself up, did she put that giant hole in the wall?

BTW, Captain Boomerang was trying to sell Miraclo to Bolt early on in the series... just another element to throw in with Luthor's armor, Slipknot's knot style and the possibility that someone else is using the Atom's belt design. So, what's going on with the super-weaponry?