• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just finished IC #6... <spoilers>

412 posts in this topic

SOunds good except that Atom only travels at superspeed in phonelines along the electric current that travels at speed of light.

I don't know that much about the Atom (or anything for that matter), but if he can travel on electric currents in phonelines, why couldn't he travel on the electric pulses in the nervous system? confused-smiley-013.gif

But, as I asked in an earlier post, why were her clothes so torn up? Why was her face bloodied?

Cutting off the flow of blood to her brain would give her seizures - artistic license of showing the effects in her head would be blood coming from the nose and mouth. Blood has to go somewhere. Throwing yourself about wildly into a table would definitely have a physical affect on your clothing (and your body!).

Same with Jean... why was her face cut? How, if she did indeed tie herself up, did she put that giant hole in the wall?

Jean, according to her story, was physically attacked, bound, blindfolded, gagged and strung up... so ripped clothes and physical damage to her face would appear if she resisted. Funny, the shadow in her recollections looks a bit like Captain Boomerang's overweight, ponytailed figure.

BTW, Captain Boomerang was trying to sell Miraclo to Bolt early on in the series... just another element to throw in with Luthor's armor, Slipknot's knot style and the possibility that someone else is using the Atom's belt design. So, what's going on with the super-weaponry?

Again, the super-weaponry and methods all tie back to the people that were in or around the Suicide Squad. Boomerang took the Miraclo before he entered Jack Drake's house... it gave him enough of a kick to survive a number of bullet wounds and throw a boomerang into Drake.

Luthor's armor is a red herring. I think it's a hint of who is pulling the strings thru Waller and her former Squad members, but that's just me.

I don't want to spoil it for you, but I'm not sure that the armor issue will be resolved in IC7 because it shows up in another title after IC ends with a solicit clearly mentioning that it is an unresolved plot point from IC.

so many clues.... so many dead ends.... SUre hope however it comes together it makes SOME kind of sense and we all fel "Damm, how could I miss that!" instead of "say whaaaaaa...???)

Yes. It had better not be a "Saw"/"CSI"-like ending where the "big reveal" is... well, yes. It had better not be one of those.

yay.gif

The guy is a mystery writer of some worth, right? If he is then as far as I know the genre "it all coming together in the end in a satisfying package" HAS to be one of his strengths. That's what mystery writers do...

Still... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I agree with a lot of people here that the Atom probably isn't the killer, but is being set up. It just doesn't make sense that it'd be him...the motive isn't there. I think I'm going to reread #1-6 again tonight to see if there are some clues that I've missed. I have no idea who it is, but this series rocks!

Whoever the killer is, he must really get around! He's even been by the Marvel Universe to try to kill Spidey's wife, Mary Jane.

60930948398.245.gif

I agree with a lot of people here that the Atom probably isn't the killer, but is being set up. It just doesn't make sense that it'd be him...the motive isn't there. I think I'm going to reread #1-6 again tonight to see if there are some clues that I've missed. I have no idea who it is, but this series rocks!

Whoever the killer is, he must really get around! He's even been by the Marvel Universe to try to kill Spidey's wife, Mary Jane.

60930948398.245.gif

UH OH MARVEL GONNA SUE DC FOR STEALING A STORY IDEA & HAMPERING MARVELS ABILITY TO MARKET IT IN ONLINE GAMES & OTHER ELECTRONIC MEDIA

I just reread #6 and spotted something interesting: Look at Jean Lorings picture on the cover of TIME magazine, and then at the images of her in the story on the same page and others. See the difference? Her eyes are solid blue on TIME, but not on all the drawings of her in "real life". In discussing this in the LCS I was informed that this was mentioned as a possible coloring mistake on another board to the writer - - who answered that there were NO coloring mistakes in any of the issues.

So it would appear that Jean Loring is not who she says she is.

However - - what kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person shapeshifter, or imposter would get the eye color wrong?? That clearly doesnt make any sense, even as a tipoff... curiouser and curiouser...

I just reread #6 and spotted something interesting: Look at Jean Lorings picture on the cover of TIME magazine, and then at the images of her in the story on the same page and others. See the difference? Her eyes are solid blue on TIME, but not on all the drawings of her in "real life". In discussing this in the LCS I was informed that this was mentioned as a possible coloring mistake on another board to the writer - - who answered that there were NO coloring mistakes in any of the issues.

However - - what kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person shapeshifter, or imposter would get the eye color wrong?? That clearly doesnt make any sense, even as a tipoff... curiouser and curiouser...

I saw that too, and wasn't that the eye-color change the "mark" of The Top?

I haven't gone back to check out the other books yet, but if that's the case, and this whole thing is based on some obscure villain that hasn't even APPEARED in the book... well, that won't make Khaos very happy.

apparently even Batman didnt either...

of course, it all deoends on who's writing him at th etime. Sometimes he's all-knowing, othert time, like in WAR GAMES, he cant even recognize his own grand plan when its happening right in front of him!

Kudos for you aman! thumbsup2.gif

I was re-reading the issues yesterday, and noticed the many recurring images of that Time magazine cover. Figured it had to be a central motif, like the happy face in Watchmen. But was clueless on what it meant.

What did click was the fact that Jean was co-owner of the Atom patents, until she was signing them back over solely to Ray in one of the first issues. Now, once something is patented, it becomes a matter of public record, so we'd have to make a leap that "Jean" also had access to the secret technology that lets the Atom do his stuff. But if so, "Jean" has the means to the crime (telephonic medulla stomp). But what's the motive ? To know that, we would need to know who "Jean" really is.

Since you flagged the importance of the magazine cover, I wonder if the title of the mag is also significant: Is Time a clue Meltzer is dropping us?

In one of the early IC issues, someone remarks that Atom-foe Chronos is present, even though he's now dead. The response was something like: well, he says he's the one from just few minutes before his death... damn I hate time-travellers!

I don't want to push my earlier Reverse-Flash theory too hard, but... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Strike that last part: The magazine with Jean on the cover is called "Persons," not Time. (It's the DCU equivalent of People...) Never Mind. sorry.gif

I personally think that the father of the kid is one of two people:

1) the Top, and that Golden Glider let Captain Boomerang think that the kid was Digger's. She hooked up with Digger, found out she was pregnant by the Top (possibly when he was in possession of Barry's father's body), had the kid and they decided to put it up for adoption...

or

2) Barry Allen. That GG was so horny when she used the magic diamond on the Flash to make him fall in love with her (and be completely in her control) in Flash #302 that she decided to "try him out" before she helped the Top take over Barry's body in #303... to test the equipment... literally. Since Barry was brainwashed he conveniently doesn't remember... the diamond made him think she was his supposedly deceased wife Iris, so he definitely would have been "happy" to see her (and get it on). Then she and the Top are defeated, GG hooks up with Digger, they do it, she learns she's pregnant and she tells him the kid was his. Things aren't working out after the kid is born and they decide to put it up for adoption.

I didn't tumble to this until re-reading the series this weekend, but when Boomerang Jr. first finds out he has speed, he asks Digger: Golden Glider isn't my mom, is she? and Digger agrees that no, GG is not. So paternity isn't the issue, it's maternity. Junior gets his handiness with a boomerang from dear ol dad, and presumably his speed from his mom.

Who are the female speedsters in the DCU? Did Johnny Quick have a daughter?

Or with all the body and mind switching going on in the Identity Crisis back-story, was there some gender-swapping at work as well? 893whatthe.gif

I personally think that the father of the kid is one of two people:

1) the Top, and that Golden Glider let Captain Boomerang think that the kid was Digger's. She hooked up with Digger, found out she was pregnant by the Top (possibly when he was in possession of Barry's father's body), had the kid and they decided to put it up for adoption...

or

2) Barry Allen. That GG was so horny when she used the magic diamond on the Flash to make him fall in love with her (and be completely in her control) in Flash #302 that she decided to "try him out" before she helped the Top take over Barry's body in #303... to test the equipment... literally. Since Barry was brainwashed he conveniently doesn't remember... the diamond made him think she was his supposedly deceased wife Iris, so he definitely would have been "happy" to see her (and get it on). Then she and the Top are defeated, GG hooks up with Digger, they do it, she learns she's pregnant and she tells him the kid was his. Things aren't working out after the kid is born and they decide to put it up for adoption.

I didn't tumble to this until re-reading the series this weekend, but when Boomerang Jr. first finds out he has speed, he asks Digger: Golden Glider isn't my mom, is she? and Digger agrees that no, GG is not. So paternity isn't the issue, it's maternity. Junior gets his handiness with a boomerang from dear ol dad, and presumably his speed from his mom.

That exchange makes very little sense, really. How would anyone know that Boomerang was the DAD but not that GG was the kid's MOM?

It makes no sense. It would seem to me that maternity is far easier to "prove" (or at least have conclusive evidence for), than paternity.

Right, either it is a lie by Cap Boomerang and a mis-direction by Meltzer, or it is a half-truth: as you say, Cap was 'at the helm' of somebody, maybe Flash, while GG was simply the host for somebody else.

Of course, all this assumes Flash powers are inherited, which itself doesn't make a whole lot of sense as they were the result of a chemical accident, except that's the way it works in the DCU: Impulse is the future descendent of Barry Allen if I recall correctly.

Hmmm.