• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who leaves feedback first?

187 posts in this topic

I always leave feedback once the buyer leaves it for me. I do that in order to avoid any fishy business the buyer might try to pull.

so if he's planning fishy business withholding FB prevents it somehow???

dang I was gonna try to rip the seller off for $200 but I NEED THAT FEEDBACK so I guess I won't....

Huh????

As a buyer I leave feed back once the transaction is complete. To date I've never left negative feed back. All my transactions have resolved one way or another. As a seller I used to leave feed back as soon as I was paid but due to recent experiences, I'll leave feed back once the transaction is complete. I don't like eBay's system for feed back. I feel like the buyer has too much control and the seller is unprotected.

I always leave feedback once the buyer leaves it for me. I do that in order to avoid any fishy business the buyer might try to pull.

dang I was gonna try to rip the seller off for $200 but I NEED THAT FEEDBACK so I guess I won't....

Huh????

How many more times do we need to explain this?

Buyers do not need feedback, sellers do. As a seller, if you want that precious feedback, you better leave it for the buyer first.

If the buyer tries any fishy business, you let eBay or Paypal fix it. Leaving a buyer negative feedback does absolutely nothing! No one is looking at a buyer's feedback before selling to them.

Period…end of story…that all she wrote…we can close the thread now.

Folks, this is just an opinion piece. There is no right way or wrong way (at least as discussed here) to leave FB. As much as I am in agreement with the majority here, the people who want to wait, are going to wait. They have their system and it works for them - who are we to question it?

:shrug:

So, no closing the thread, as that would give others who have yet to respond no chance to offer their opinions.

-slym

Darkstar has it right on the first page. If you are a seller and leave feedback prior to the buyer leaving feedback, you are not acting wisely.

If you leave feedback first singing the praises of prompt payment and then the buyer does the feedback extortion thing, leaves bad feedback or is just plain difficult to deal with then you are looking pretty foolish for leaving a positive first.

As a buyer, you should leave positive feedback as quickly as possible - if you are satisfied - so that the seller knows the transaction is good and their books can be closed on the deal.

If you are not happy with what you got, try to work it out with the seller. I usually go for a refund and ship the item back - rarely do I have to do that because I mainly buy shipping supplies on eBay. I rarely buy any books on eBay - just don't have the time to browse around.

Folks, this is just an opinion piece. There is no right way or wrong way (at least as discussed here) to leave FB. As much as I am in agreement with the majority here, the people who want to wait, are going to wait. They have their system and it works for them - who are we to question it?

So, no closing the thread, as that would give others who have yet to respond no chance to offer their opinions.

-slym

But we don't need anymore opinions. We got 17 pages already saying the same exact thing over and over and over…

If anyone has an opinion, they can read all those and either keep the same thinking or change their mind. But this thread is going nowhere.

Huh????

Buyers do not need feedback, sellers do. As a seller, if you want that precious feedback, you better leave it for the buyer first.

If the buyer tries any fishy business, you let eBay or Paypal fix it. Leaving a buyer negative feedback does absolutely nothing! No one is looking at a buyer's feedback before selling to them.

EXACTLY

I really do not understand why this is so difficult to compute.....Slym is right this is going nowhere. It's like trying to warn a buddy to stop calling some chick because it's gonna turn her off but he won't listen and he keeps doing it and she DUMPS him.

Or something.

PS if a seller leaves pos FB first then the buyer leaves neg that doesn't make the seller look like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person...WTH?

:roflmao:

But we don't need anymore opinions. We got 17 pages already saying the same exact thing over and over and over…

If anyone has an opinion, they can read all those and either keep the same thinking or change their mind. But this thread is going nowhere.

Welcome to Comics General!

-slym

Welcome to Comics General!

-slym

:signfunny:

Huh????

I disagree. As a seller I always check the feedback of potential/paying buyers I ship to. Not necessarily to cancel the transaction (haven't had to yet) but on whether I actually need to pull out my camera and video tape my packaging of the comics at the post office for evidence. This takes effort and time which is sometimes worth more than the sale. Buyer feedback also influences the best offer price I'm willing to let a book go at. I'm much more willing to let a book go at a lower price if the buyer has 100+ 99% positive feedback or if the negs/neutrals are not too bad. However, I have declined high offers for a zero feedback international buyer. Just too risky for me.

As a buyer I wait until I receive and thoroughly inspect the comic to report my satisfaction and I don't care if a seller waits or doesn't leave feedback at all but I'll request positive feedback after leaving it first if I haven't received it.

As a seller, the transaction isn't fully complete until the buyer has the book in hand and reports his satisfaction. If this were a store and the buyer can hold the comic, visually inspect it and look through it and then buy it, I can see their satisfaction immediately. This isn't achieved until the book arrives so I don't declare the transaction complete until I hear back. I also don't transfer paypal funds to my bank account until I receive positive feedback (not necessary but helps me keep track). I inform my buyers that if they have ANY issues to contact me immediately. I always give the buyers 2 options: return for full refund or partial refund that we both agree on. I always offer free shipping so I expect that the buyer pays for return shipping since he didn't have to pay for shipping the first time unless the mistake was egregiously my fault.

I'd rather leave 0 feedback than leave premature positive feedback if the buyer turns out to be a scammer which misleads all other sellers on ebay. if the buyer leaves positive feedback then tries to scam, at least you have something to work with when pleading your case to ebay and paypal. Sellers leaving feedback first is like saying you're welcome before they say thank you. For trusted buyers and repeat buyers I'll grant them that privilege and leave feedback first but not for strangers.

I liken the Seller's feedback kind of the way a TCP connection "three-way handshake" works.

Host A :blahblah: ------------------sends request to --------------------> :whatev: Host B

Buyer ----------------sends money to Seller ------------> Seller

Host A :whatev: <-----------sends reply to A--------------------- :blahblah: Host B

Buyer <--------------Sends package to Buyer------------------ Seller

Host A :blahblah: ---------sends an acknowledgement of the reply------> :whatev: Host B

Buyer --------Leaves positive feedback for seller or raises concern----> Seller

Host A: :whatev: <-----Sends Data. connection established------- :blahblah: Host B

Buyer <-------Leaves positive feedback or resolution/refund-------- Seller

I may be crazy, but, when I sell, I leave feedback for the buyer as soon as they pay. It's burned me, but, in my opinion, once someone has given you their money, they've done their job.

As a buyer, I try to leave feedback as soon as the transaction is completed. If I get what I ask for, I leave positive feedback. Sometimes a return is needed, so I leave feedback after the return. If the return is handled well, I leave positive feedback, even if there was a problem. Good sellers have issues, just as bad sellers do. Good sellers work them out and that should be noted.

Huh????

I disagree. As a seller I always check the feedback of potential/paying buyers I ship to. Not necessarily to cancel the transaction (haven't had to yet) but on whether I actually need to pull out my camera and video tape my packaging of the comics at the post office for evidence. This takes effort and time which is sometimes worth more than the sale. Buyer feedback also influences the best offer price I'm willing to let a book go at. I'm much more willing to let a book go at a lower price if the buyer has 100+ 99% positive feedback or if the negs/neutrals are not too bad. However, I have declined high offers for a zero feedback international buyer. Just too risky for me.

As a buyer I wait until I receive and thoroughly inspect the comic to report my satisfaction and I don't care if a seller waits or doesn't leave feedback at all but I'll request positive feedback after leaving it first if I haven't received it.

As a seller, the transaction isn't fully complete until the buyer has the book in hand and reports his satisfaction. If this were a store and the buyer can hold the comic, visually inspect it and look through it and then buy it, I can see their satisfaction immediately. This isn't achieved until the book arrives so I don't declare the transaction complete until I hear back. I also don't transfer paypal funds to my bank account until I receive positive feedback (not necessary but helps me keep track). I inform my buyers that if they have ANY issues to contact me immediately. I always give the buyers 2 options: return for full refund or partial refund that we both agree on. I always offer free shipping so I expect that the buyer pays for return shipping since he didn't have to pay for shipping the first time unless the mistake was egregiously my fault.

I'd rather leave 0 feedback than leave premature positive feedback if the buyer turns out to be a scammer which misleads all other sellers on ebay. if the buyer leaves positive feedback then tries to scam, at least you have something to work with when pleading your case to ebay and paypal. Sellers leaving feedback first is like saying you're welcome before they say thank you. For trusted buyers and repeat buyers I'll grant them that privilege and leave feedback first but not for strangers.

I liken the Seller's feedback kind of the way a TCP connection "three-way handshake" works.

Host A :blahblah: ------------------sends request to --------------------> :whatev: Host B

Buyer ----------------sends money to Seller ------------> Seller

Host A :whatev: <-----------sends reply to A--------------------- :blahblah: Host B

Buyer <--------------Sends package to Buyer------------------ Seller

Host A :blahblah: ---------sends an acknowledgement of the reply------> :whatev: Host B

Buyer --------Leaves positive feedback for seller or raises concern----> Seller

Host A: :whatev: <-----Sends Data. connection established------- :blahblah: Host B

Buyer <-------Leaves positive feedback or resolution/refund-------- Seller

rather than go through this elaborate web of move countermove analysis research etc i merely give fb when i'm paid. i have 100% fb and it has never harmed me in the slightest to do so. this appraoch just seems time consuming and paranoid but whatever makes you happy I guess.

but maybe i will start leaving neg FB if seller withholds from now on-just to prove i'm right that it's a dumb move and now that I know the thinking that's behind it.

but maybe i will start leaving neg FB if seller withholds from now on-just to prove i'm right that it's a dumb move and now that I know the thinking that's behind it.

lol! :roflmao:

Very interesting strategy my friend. A defeated strategy, but a very unexpected one to say the least.

How long after paying would you wait to leave that negative feedback? 1 day or 1 hour or 1 min? What would you leave for the negative comment? "Free fast ship, as described, pkg safe, SELLER WAITED TOO LONG TO LEAVE FB!!!"

Or would you just make mess up?

I would give him a fair amount of time-like 40 minutes or so.

And I would just say something simple like 'very difficult seller. seems to have an agenda'.

that should do it....

I would give him a fair amount of time-like 40 minutes or so.

And I would just say something simple like 'very difficult seller. seems to have an agenda'.

that should do it....

"Seller admitted to being the shooter on the 'Grassy Knoll'"

-slym

my solution to this-no FB. if seller wants to be stubborn, and he needs FB more than me, he gets none.