• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who leaves feedback first?

187 posts in this topic

I have read a lot of these discussions on eBay and a lot of buyers come up with the same answer that their part of the transaction is done at the pay button. If so, then the seller's part of the transaction is done as soon as the package hits the buyer's mailbox.

You will notice that I said, "end of transaction". Even for the buyer the transaction is not over until he/she is satisfied with the product. Comparing eBay to a retail store doesn't work, because the buyer has product in hand before they leave the store. Because of the way the transaction is handled through the mail and receiving item(s) sometime after purchase it has to be judged on that. The transaction involves choosing, purchasing, payment, delivery, and inspection of product. So many things can go wrong either by accident or by some type of scam by either buyer or seller. When all is said and done and both the buyer and seller are happy with the transaction, then they can leave feedback rating that transaction.

As a seller, I leave FB as soon as I get paid.

As a buyer, not until I receive the package and it is inspected, and if any communication is necessary.

-slym

My policy as well. Feedback is deserving to someone who performed his obligation. A buyer's obligation is to pay. A seller's obligation is to ship aptly-described items.

^^

exactly. a buyer doesn't become a 'bad buyer' because there is some fault with the item he receives and he calls the seller on it. if he says the item isn't as described that is his right as a consumer and just like in any retail situation he has the right to correct it.

sellers are in the weak position here-they cant leave neg and the buyer doesn't need their feedback. acting like you're on a level field and withholding feedback is poor strategy.

Granted bad buyers exist. But feedback is a useless weapon against them, so why even draw it from the scabbard? Giving FB upon payment at least sets the buyer in a good frame of mind in case something does go awry. Use the tool for what it can do, not what it can't. You think a bad buyer suffers if you don't leave FB? Do you really think that?

This is how I look at it:

If this were retail, would you (as the proprietor) wait until the customer left the store, got home, and had a few hours to contemplate their purchase before thanking them, or would you do it right after they paid and before they left the store?

;)

-slym

When I have sold on eBay, when a buyer has made a purchase and paid for it, I have emailed and thanked them for their purchase, just like you suggest here.

But if this were retail, and someone came and asked me right after the customer left the store, "Is that person a good customer?", I wouldn't tell them yes at that point, because I just wouldn't know.

Positive feedback is a recommendation, not a "thank you."

it is both. I always say 'thank you' in my FB.

I wouldn't shop in your store.

If it was my store and a customer had just paid and left and someone asked me if that was a good customer I would say that is an EXCELLENT customer.

In my world everyone is a good customer until they're not. In your world no one is a good customer until they are. Do you see the difference? It's the difference between a winning attitude and a losing attitude.

I have read a lot of these discussions on eBay and a lot of buyers come up with the same answer that their part of the transaction is done at the pay button. If so, then the seller's part of the transaction is done as soon as the package hits the buyer's mailbox.

You will notice that I said, "end of transaction". Even for the buyer the transaction is not over until he/she is satisfied with the product. Comparing eBay to a retail store doesn't work, because the buyer has product in hand before they leave the store. Because of the way the transaction is handled through the mail and receiving item(s) sometime after purchase it has to be judged on that. The transaction involves choosing, purchasing, payment, delivery, and inspection of product. So many things can go wrong either by accident or by some type of scam by either buyer or seller. When all is said and done and both the buyer and seller are happy with the transaction, then they can leave feedback rating that transaction.

this argument has been made. You are arguing what is fair. I am arguing what is reality. Reality is buyers hold all the cards and you should give proper respect while everything is still good. Failing to do so may insult buyer, and have consequences. I'll say it again-think of it as a game. buyer is in the better position, withholding FB is a poor move.

this argument has been made. You are arguing what is fair. I am arguing what is reality. Reality is buyers hold all the cards and you should give proper respect while everything is still good. Failing to do so may insult buyer, and have consequences. I'll say it again-think of it as a game. buyer is in the better position, withholding FB is a poor move.

Giving into a buyer's improper demand is not respect. That is like giving into a child when he throws a tantrum for what he wants. Buyers are MAKING sellers bend to their will and the more we give into it the more they want.

Giving into a buyer's improper demand is not respect. That is like giving into a child when he throws a tantrum for what he wants. Buyers are MAKING sellers bend to their will and the more we give into it the more they want.

You can rail about how unfair the game is or you can play it skillfully, make a ton of money, and have 100% feedback. What's your pleasure?

I often get the argument that buyers will 'take advantage' of you if you put their satisfaction ahead of everything else. These sellers who tell me that have endless tales of woe doing things their way, and battling buyers. I have no dissatisfied customers, an not being taken advantage of, and have great luck selling. Sometimes it blows me away what my items sell for. It's like buyers can sense i'm on their side and I have great success with them. A combative attitude of us vs them simply does not work well in a retail setting of any kind.

ps giving FB upon payment costs you nothing. What are you talking about demands/tantrums etc? See this is a mindset you have-an us vs them thing and it is coloring how you see the world.

and pps-definitely the more I give the more they don't want. I always say for partial refunds 'whatever amount you think fair' and it's always some nominal amount. Often I double what theyve asked for just because I think it should be more. I dont buy the argument-at all-that the more you do for people the more they'll demand. Human nature seems to be-in my experience-the better you treat people, the better they treat you....

What kind of feedback to you leave for a seller that sold you two limited edition signed art prints that were obviously good fakes, except for the part that they are not even close to being serigraphs or authentic. When you call him out on it, he threatens legal action with his 5000+ feedbacks as proof they are real.

My solution: I boxed them, sent them to the FBI Art Fraud/Theft division in California.... That's my feedback.

What kind of feedback to you leave for a seller that sold you two limited edition signed art prints that were obviously good fakes, except for the part that they are not even close to being serigraphs or authentic. When you call him out on it, he threatens legal action with his 5000+ feedbacks as proof they are real.

My solution: I boxed them, sent them to the FBI Art Fraud/Theft division in California.... That's my feedback.

Well it's off topic we're discussing whether a seller should leave FB immediately after payment.

why didn't you just open a case and get refund through ebay/paypal?

I rarely leave any feedback. Occasionally when I get a request I'll take the time. I stopped believing in the feedback system when they limited sellers from leaving negatives.

I rarely leave any feedback. Occasionally when I get a request I'll take the time. I stopped believing in the feedback system when they limited sellers from leaving negatives.

when sellers could leave neg FB buyers were completely unprotected-you get ripped off, you leave a neg, you get a neg. that was just wrong.

I completely believe in the FB system-if someone has negs I dont buy. It's very helpful. If they do a poor job and have low detailed seller ratings they get penalized.

Without sellers, there are no buyers. I've been on ebay since 1998. I don't devalue my part of the transaction because some think "buyers hold all the cards" They do not. It's a two-way street. I don't care if they leave feedback for me. I don't care if I leave it. Buyer pays, I ship, they're happy, I'm happy, the end.

Why not just change the BS feedback system to the even more BS "like" Facebook garbage. Then peeps could feel all snuggly about themselves.

when sellers could leave neg FB buyers were completely unprotected-you get ripped off, you leave a neg, you get a neg. that was just wrong.

I completely believe in the FB system-if someone has negs I dont buy. It's very helpful. If they do a poor job and have low detailed seller ratings they get penalized.

lol

Completely unprotected. That's a stretch.

Unless you give me across the board 5 star ratings, I start killing your feedbacks, one comment an hour. And don't try that "you must be hungry, let me send in some pizza" stunt, I'm wise to your tricks.

The clock is ticking.

Well it's off topic we're discussing whether a seller should leave FB immediately after payment.

why didn't you just open a case and get refund through ebay/paypal?

For the $400 I lost I can potential save another 5000 buyers from getting ripped off. I usually leave feedback AFTER they've received the item and I know they are happy with it. Since feedback is skewed into the buyer direction, using it as a gauge to know if the buyer is good or not is long gone. You can report them, but has EBay really done anything but cull sellers? After you leave positive feedback I'm not sure you can report them. I have to look next time.

I often get the argument that buyers will 'take advantage' of you if you put their satisfaction ahead of everything else. These sellers who tell me that have endless tales of woe doing things their way, and battling buyers. I have no dissatisfied customers, an not being taken advantage of, and have great luck selling. Sometimes it blows me away what my items sell for. It's like buyers can sense i'm on their side and I have great success with them. A combative attitude of us vs them simply does not work well in a retail setting of any kind.

Totally agree with this. The worst experiences I've had are just non paying bidders, the horror stories are just that and they are few and far between. The terrible stories just strike a chord with people so they remember and repeat them. A lot of it can be avoided if you just follow the rules. Lots of pictures, print your labels from eBay and most of all - be nice.

ebay's fee is much less than rent on a store location or whatever....all around i think it's great.

While this is true, I personally still think it is excessive. Web space basically costs equipment & the electricity to run it, so why hasn't eBay dropped their prices instead of raising them? At least offer some discount to good sellers, like dropping the PayPal 3%?

But like another large company, the eBay seems to be a monopoly (as far as auction sites go) without any real competition, so they can do whatever they want.

/ :signrant:

-slym

eBay is always rolling out new programs, refining them or scrapping them. This costs money, the building costs money, people costs money. They are located in Silicon Valley, a lot of the people that work there are very much in demand and could be working at a lot of other places - they deserve to be paid. And like what was said before, even with the fees, it's a fraction of what you would have to pay if you owned a storefront, you are always open and can sell your goods to an exponentially larger group of people.

If you remember - there used to be a LOT of auction sites. They all failed because it's difficult to build a marketplace and design rules that are reasonably fair and is able to attract buyers. No buyers no business. Buyers won't transact at a site they don't think is safe and unfortunately, this means that sometimes there are abuses but by and large most people are honest and you just need to follow the rules. Do unfair things happen - you bet, but the same things happen in a storefront as well... robbery, theft... the list goes on and on.