• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who leaves feedback first?

187 posts in this topic

This is how I look at it:

If this were retail, would you (as the proprietor) wait until the customer left the store, got home, and had a few hours to contemplate their purchase before thanking them, or would you do it right after they paid and before they left the store?

;)

When I have sold on eBay, when a buyer has made a purchase and paid for it, I have emailed and thanked them for their purchase, just like you suggest here.

But if this were retail, and someone came and asked me right after the customer left the store, "Is that person a good customer?", I wouldn't tell them yes at that point, because I just wouldn't know.

Positive feedback is a recommendation, not a "thank you."

In a perfect world, sure. As eBay is set up now? It really is just a "thank you."

-slym

Unless you give me across the board 5 star ratings, I start killing your feedbacks, one comment an hour. And don't try that "you must be hungry, let me send in some pizza" stunt, I'm wise to your tricks.

The clock is ticking.

Umm... what?

-slym

Just wanted to throw that question out there to see what the consensus was.

When you sell your comics (and any other item) on eBay, do you leave FB first or wait until the buyer leaves it ?

What about when you buy from somebody ?

I always post feedback when they pay as a seller, and feedback when the item is received as a buyer. I enough feedback that I'm not worried about trying to get more. But I'm always irked when a feedback is not reciprocated.

If this were retail, would you (as the proprietor) wait until the customer left the store, got home, and had a few hours to contemplate their purchase before thanking them, or would you do it right after they paid and before they left the store?

;)

-slym

When I have sold on eBay, when a buyer has made a purchase and paid for it, I have emailed and thanked them for their purchase, just like you suggest here.

But if this were retail, and someone came and asked me right after the customer left the store, "Is that person a good customer?", I wouldn't tell them yes at that point, because I just wouldn't know.

it is both. I always say 'thank you' in my FB.

I wouldn't shop in your store.

If it was my store and a customer had just paid and left and someone asked me if that was a good customer I would say that is an EXCELLENT customer.

In my world everyone is a good customer until they're not. In your world no one is a good customer until they are. Do you see the difference? It's the difference between a winning attitude and a losing attitude.

If your expectation is for me to give you an unqualified recommendation just because the very first time you brought an item to the counter you actually paid for it, seconds after you paid for it, I wouldn't want you to shop at my store.

Not that I have a store. This is all coming from the perspective of a mostly buyer - I'd say 80-90% of my eBay feedback is as a buyer, not a seller. When I buy something, I don't expect the seller to give me feedback because I have met the bare minimum expected of me - making the payment - just as I don't give the seller feedback once he does the bare minimum - take a package to the Post Office.

Notice that even the folks who say they give feedback as a seller as soon as they get payment also say as a buyer they give feedback after they receive the item AND INSPECT IT. I notice nobody seems to think the buyer should give feedback as soon as they receive a tracking number.

;)

-slym

If it was my store and a customer had just paid and left and someone asked me if that was a good customer I would say that is an EXCELLENT customer.

In my world everyone is a good customer until they're not. In your world no one is a good customer until they are. Do you see the difference? It's the difference between a winning attitude and a losing attitude.

If your expectation is for me to give you an unqualified recommendation just because the very first time you brought an item to the counter you actually paid for it, seconds after you paid for it, I wouldn't want you to shop at my store.

Not that I have a store. This is all coming from the perspective of a mostly buyer - I'd say 80-90% of my eBay feedback is as a buyer, not a seller. When I buy something, I don't expect the seller to give me feedback because I have met the bare minimum expected of me - making the payment - just as I don't give the seller feedback once he does the bare minimum - take a package to the Post Office.

Notice that even the folks who say they give feedback as a seller as soon as they get payment also say as a buyer they give feedback after they receive the item AND INSPECT IT. I notice nobody seems to think the buyer should give feedback as soon as they receive a tracking number.

what can I say? You're a negative Nancy. Ok your cup is half empty. If that works for you and you get more pleasure complaining than having a positive experience, may the force be with you.

My reply to several posters who say FB is BS I defy them to buy something from someone with a FB less than 80. I defy them to say when looking at a $500 purchase, they dont even look at FB. Of course FB is useful. There's just some negative story in your past about it that you can't let go of.

My reply to several posters who say FB is BS I defy them to buy something from someone with a FB less than 80. I defy them to say when looking at a $500 purchase, they dont even look at FB. Of course FB is useful. There's just some negative story in your past about it that you can't let go of.

I buy from newbies and less than ideal feedback sellers constantly. Always have.

I buy from newbies and less than ideal feedback sellers constantly. Always have.

what about totally horrible FB? Since FB is BS.....everyone buys from newbies and minor 'less than ideal' sellers. one negative FB is 'less than ideal'. Would you buy a $500 comic from a guy with 100 FB, 22 negs stating 'scammer, beware', etc? yes or no? If no then FB is useful. If yes, well I don't have to complete that sentence....

As a seller, I leave FB as soon as I get paid.

As a buyer, not until I receive the package and it is inspected, and if any communication is necessary.

-slym

My policy as well. Feedback is deserving to someone who performed his obligation. A buyer's obligation is to pay. A seller's obligation is to ship aptly-described items.

^^

exactly. a buyer doesn't become a 'bad buyer' because there is some fault with the item he receives and he calls the seller on it. if he says the item isn't as described that is his right as a consumer and just like in any retail situation he has the right to correct it.

sellers are in the weak position here-they cant leave neg and the buyer doesn't need their feedback. acting like you're on a level field and withholding feedback is poor strategy.

Granted bad buyers exist. But feedback is a useless weapon against them, so why even draw it from the scabbard? Giving FB upon payment at least sets the buyer in a good frame of mind in case something does go awry. Use the tool for what it can do, not what it can't. You think a bad buyer suffers if you don't leave FB? Do you really think that?

Clearly you suffer, and that's a good enough reason for me... :baiting:

what about totally horrible FB? Since FB is BS.....everyone buys from newbies and minor 'less than ideal' sellers. one negative FB is 'less than ideal'. Would you buy a $500 comic from a guy with 100 FB, 22 negs stating 'scammer, beware', etc? yes or no? If no then FB is useful. If yes, well I don't have to complete that sentence....

lol Because an extreme example makes the case? If I can afford to gamble at the time then it's not an issue. I doubt your example would be allowed to list on eBay.

lol Because an extreme example makes the case? If I can afford to gamble at the time then it's not an issue. I doubt your example would be allowed to list on eBay.

either FB is BS or it's not. If it is, there is no 'extreme case'. If it's not why the anti-FB attitude? I suspect the people who propose fb is BS maybe get a lot of negs. That's a motive for saying it's 'BS'. Can't think of any other one.

As a seller, I leave FB as soon as I get paid.

As a buyer, not until I receive the package and it is inspected, and if any communication is necessary.

-slym

My policy as well. Feedback is deserving to someone who performed his obligation. A buyer's obligation is to pay. A seller's obligation is to ship aptly-described items.

^^

exactly. a buyer doesn't become a 'bad buyer' because there is some fault with the item he receives and he calls the seller on it. if he says the item isn't as described that is his right as a consumer and just like in any retail situation he has the right to correct it.

sellers are in the weak position here-they cant leave neg and the buyer doesn't need their feedback. acting like you're on a level field and withholding feedback is poor strategy.

Granted bad buyers exist. But feedback is a useless weapon against them, so why even draw it from the scabbard? Giving FB upon payment at least sets the buyer in a good frame of mind in case something does go awry. Use the tool for what it can do, not what it can't. You think a bad buyer suffers if you don't leave FB? Do you really think that?

Clearly you suffer, and that's a good enough reason for me... :baiting:

non sequiter

If I had a store, I'd like for customers to bring items to the counter and pay for them quickly. Sounds like a decent customer to me.

-slym

Absolutely, as far as it goes. But if asked by the guy in the store next door if that customer that I don't know from Adam who just purchased an item is a good customer or not, I've got no idea - he's been a good customer so far, but it's way too soon to give a recommendation like that. Which is basically what I would say if asked, "Don't know, so far so good."

But given that YOU started the "Blocked eBay buyer list" thread here (which currently has 43 pages), I suspect you already know this.

either FB is BS or it's not. If it is, there is no 'extreme case'. If it's not why the anti-FB attitude? I suspect the people who propose fb is BS maybe get a lot of negs. That's a motive for saying it's 'BS'. Can't think of any other one.

No negative feedback here. There is no buyer feedback which makes buyer feedback BS. Who said seller feedback was BS? It certainly is not very good but BS is a stretch.

If I had a store, I'd like for customers to bring items to the counter and pay for them quickly. Sounds like a decent customer to me.

-slym

Absolutely, as far as it goes. But if asked by the guy in the store next door if that customer that I don't know from Adam who just purchased an item is a good customer or not, I've got no idea - he's been a good customer so far, but it's way too soon to give a recommendation like that. Which is basically what I would say if asked, "Don't know, so far so good."

But given that YOU started the "Blocked eBay buyer list" thread here (which currently has 43 pages), I suspect you already know this.

by this logic no one is a good customer because any one could one day screw you. I don't want to live like that. Too negative, man.

;)

-slym

what can I say? You're a negative Nancy. Ok your cup is half empty. If that works for you and you get more pleasure complaining than having a positive experience, may the force be with you.

You assume a lot there, kav, just because I don't give praise for a buyer doing the absolute minimum requirements for a transaction. I think in all my time on eBay, I've only given non-positive feedback twice, and both were neutrals. I expect the best of people, but don't give praise they haven't yet earned.

But given your stated attitude here, can I assume that as a buyer you give positive feedback as soon as the seller sends you a tracking number? You know, so that if there is a problem later on that you've built some goodwill and they might treat you better when you aren't happy with things later? Or are you a negative Nancy who assumes that the book is overgraded or the box is empty?

;)

-slym

You assume a lot there, kav, just because I don't give praise for a buyer doing the absolute minimum requirements for a transaction. I think in all my time on eBay, I've only given non-positive feedback twice, and both were neutrals. I expect the best of people, but don't give praise they haven't yet earned.

But given your stated attitude here, can I assume that as a buyer you give positive feedback as soon as the seller sends you a tracking number? You know, so that if there is a problem later on that you've built some goodwill and they might treat you better when you aren't happy with things later? Or are you a negative Nancy who assumes that the book is overgraded or the box is empty?

do i really have to reply to that ridiculous question? Sigh. Ok I don't need the goodwill if I am a buyer-I hold all the cards. I can get a refund if I need one....this is not rocket science...

one more time I'll say it-why withhold FB as a seller when it accomplishes nothing and may irritate the buyer, who holds all the cards? This is simple game theory-a move which has no benefit and possible detriment against an opponent in a stronger position is a bad move.