• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who leaves feedback first?

187 posts in this topic

As a seller, I have my eBay system setup to automatically leave feedback when I receive feedback from the buyer. This way I know the buyer has received the item, plus it saves me the time of entering feedback manually.

I used to leave feedback as soon as a buyer paid but I've run into a couple of knuckleheads as of late that made me stop that practice. Back in late December I received this rant from a buyer -

"OK, your system is setup so I will NEVER leave you feedback. I will only leave feedback as a buyer when I get feedback first. So you system is gonna screw you and I WILL NEVER BUY FROM YOU AGAIN. BYE, BYE."

Well guess what? His e-check payment bounced even though PayPal said it had cleared. I had to deal with a chargeback from his bank that PayPal covered. Also - he tried to stealth "1" DSR me across the board on a completely separate cancelled transaction he requested. He left positive feedback on the item but managed to leave 1 DSRs on everything including shipping & shipping cost even though the item never shipped + the shipping was free. Some sort of glitch in the eBay system with cancelled transactions. eBay removed all the DSRs right away.

Interesting.... If Paypal says an e-check cleared and then it bounces, who is ultimately responsible? Did they just own up to it or did they fight it?

I guess it's PayPal's fault - but I tell you the guy had issues. He had two separate e-check payments. Both bounced at first and were re-subbed, then they both cleared, but apparently one didn't. I mailed the items as soon as PayPal told me they had cleared.

I'm going through the same exact thing now. Before I ship, I am going to call Paypal and have them tell my by voice that it is OK to ship when both payments are cleared.

As a buyer, I won't leave feedback for the seller unless they give me feedback first. They need that feedback more than I do and feedback left for me should not depend on whether or not I leave positive feedback.

Did I pay on time? Did I cause any communication issues? Then give me feedback.

So in your opinion all the buyers in the "buyers to block" thread are deserving of positive feedback?

EBay is different from a retail store in that the seller is taking on all the risk in the transaction.

What an interesting thing to say... from the buyer's POV - they don't know anything more about you than you do them. How do they know you aren't going to send a box of rocks, or not correctly describe the item?

As a buyer, I won't leave feedback for the seller unless they give me feedback first. They need that feedback more than I do and feedback left for me should not depend on whether or not I leave positive feedback.

So in your opinion all the buyers in the "buyers to block" thread are deserving of positive feedback?

EBay is different from a retail store in that the seller is taking on all the risk in the transaction.

Depends, did they pay on time? As a seller, you are not giving feedback on what happens after they receive the order, only on the buyer's end of the sale. Once the buyer has the order, that is a separate matter.

When I buy something on ebay, I look at the seller's feedback to make sure it is good. When someone buys from me, I usually don't look at their feedback. 98% of the time, by the time I find out someone decided to buy my stuff, they have already paid. When I look for a reputable buyer, dead presidents make great references! Therefore, like I said, sellers need the feedback more than the buyers.

After the deal is over, that's up to ebay to decide….sometimes.

What an interesting thing to say... from the buyer's POV - they don't know anything more about you than you do them. How do they know you aren't going to send a box of rocks, or not correctly describe the item?

Then you contact PayPal, explain to them you received a box of rocks (or the item wasn't as described) and get your money back.

Or, if you're a dishonest buyer you remove the item from the box, replace it with rocks, take a picture, then call PayPal to get your money back.

Depends, did they pay on time? As a seller, you are not giving feedback on what happens after they receive the order, only on the buyer's end of the sale. Once the buyer has the order, that is a separate matter.

When I buy something on ebay, I look at the seller's feedback to make sure it is good. When someone buys from me, I usually don't look at their feedback. 98% of the time, by the time I find out someone decided to buy my stuff, they have already paid. When I look for a reputable buyer, dead presidents make great references! Therefore, like I said, sellers need the feedback more than the buyers.

As a seller (and buyer) you are giving feedback as a reference for the Ebayer. Would you give a good reference to buyer who fraudulently files a claim with PayPal? Would you give a good reference to a buyer who gives you negative or neutral feedback because he felt $15 shipping was too high for a $1000 item? Or would you instead warn other sellers to stay away from that clown?

How would you warn other people though? Sellers can't leave anything but positive FB, and if you post a negative meaning in your positive FB, it will get removed.

-slym

You can't anymore, which is just one more example of how the seller assumes all the risk.

Buyers have:

- A PayPal protection program (that can and *has* been abused by buyers).

- Immunity from negative feedback.

As a seller (and buyer) you are giving feedback as a reference for the Ebayer. Would you give a good reference to buyer who fraudulently files a claim with PayPal? Would you give a good reference to a buyer who gives you negative or neutral feedback because he felt $15 shipping was too high for a $1000 item? Or would you instead warn other sellers to stay away from that clown?

Yes it is a reference. But if the buyer tries anything shady or just stupid, usually it is handled by eBay or Paypal afterwards and then any feedback is usually removed. Especially if the ebay/paypal judgement is to return the item for a full refund, all feedback from that transaction becomes null.

As far as warning the sellers about a bad buyer…you can't. Again by the time I am made aware I have a buyer, they have already paid. If I already have their money, why do I care about their feedback? They cause problems later, it goes back to ebay or paypal, like I said above. (I usually just use Buy It Now instead of an auction, which is why my example sounds so instantaneous.)

Yes it is a reference. But if the buyer tries anything shady or just stupid, usually it is handled by eBay or Paypal afterwards and then any feedback is usually removed. Especially if the ebay/paypal judgement is to return the item for a full refund, all feedback from that transaction becomes null.

As far as warning the sellers about a bad buyer…you can't. Again by the time I am made aware I have a buyer, they have already paid. If I already have their money, why do I care about their feedback? They cause problems later, it goes back to ebay or paypal, like I said above. (I usually just use Buy It Now instead of an auction, which is why my example sounds so instantaneous.)

Based on quite a few accounts I've read (on this forum and others), it is NOT so easy for the seller to fend off fraudulent claims. And even if you successfully defend your money and your feedback as a seller, you still had to deal with the hassle and that doesn't even address my point.

You agreed that positive feedback is a reference for the Ebay member. Do you believe an Ebay buyer who attempts fraud or who leaves erroneous negative feedback is deserving of a good reference? Would you personally recommend your friends and other sellers to do business with him?

How would you warn other people though? Sellers can't leave anything but positive FB, and if you post a negative meaning in your positive FB, it will get removed.

You can't anymore, which is just one more example of how the seller assumes all the risk.

Buyers have:

Okay, so I don't see how this helps you here:

I guess you are saying, don't use eBay at all?

:shrug:

-slym

Buyers have:

-slym

OK, you can't leave negative feedback to buyers anymore. I fail to see how that rebuts my arguments about when you should leave feedback.

"I guess you are saying, don't use eBay at all?"

I didn't say don't use Ebay at all. I said, "As a seller (and buyer) you are giving feedback as a reference for the Ebayer. Would you give a good reference to buyer who fraudulently files a claim with PayPal? Would you give a good reference to a buyer who gives you negative or neutral feedback because he felt $15 shipping was too high for a $1000 item? Or would you instead warn other sellers to stay away from that clown?"

Based on quite a few accounts I've read (on this forum and others), it is NOT so easy for the seller to fend off fraudulent claims. And even if you successfully defend your money and your feedback as a seller, you still had to deal with the hassle and that doesn't even address my point.

You agreed that positive feedback is a reference for the Ebay member. Do you believe an Ebay buyer who attempts fraud or who leaves erroneous negative feedback is deserving of a good reference? Would you personally recommend your friends and other sellers to do business with him?

You can live your life a few different ways. Wary that everyone you meet is a criminal and treat them as such.. pushing away the 99% that are good people.

Or treat everyone as a good citizen until they've proven otherwise.

Yes, you come across scammer and d-bags, but they're >1%.. I'd rather not assume that everyone is part of that group.

I'll say it ONE MORE TIME. leaving pos FB for a buyer is a STRATEGY. Deserve's got nothing to do with it....

eastwood4.jpg

Buyers have:

-slym

OK, you can't leave negative feedback to buyers anymore. I fail to see how that rebuts my arguments about when you should leave feedback.

"I guess you are saying, don't use eBay at all?"

I didn't say don't use Ebay at all. I said, "As a seller (and buyer) you are giving feedback as a reference for the Ebayer. Would you give a good reference to buyer who fraudulently files a claim with PayPal? Would you give a good reference to a buyer who gives you negative or neutral feedback because he felt $15 shipping was too high for a $1000 item? Or would you instead warn other sellers to stay away from that clown?"

a reference? so if i'm selling an item i keep track of bidders and check their feedback constantly for...for WHAT, exactly???

Y'know just in case the buyer pays with purple money, really is not named "comicbookjunkie_251", or doesn't happen to like Cream of Wheat.

I love Cream of Wheat and I refuse to sell to those who don't like Cream of Wheat!

imagine a game where two guys face off. one guy is allowed to say nice things or slap the other guy, the other is only allowed to say nice things or nothing. If the guy who can only say nice things says nothing, the other guy can slap him.

that's the game we're playing. Now does my strategy make sense?

Does it matter if the one guy is a jerk and doesn't deserve a nice comment?