• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saga Of The Swamp Thing

106 posts in this topic

But so far I liked the second issue best #21 with Dr. Woodrow.

so your version has issue #20? that was technically his first book but he was just ending Martin Pasko's run, #21 is considered the start of Moore's run

and its Woodrue ;)

has anybody else read Black Orchid by Neil Gaiman? worth a read and brilliant artwork by Dave McKean

Well I just finished the 3rd comic in the first trade, a couple more to go then I will need volume 2. It is decent so far but I am not to excited about it yet. Are the other volumes better then the first?

The first issue was a little confusing for me...a lot of characters being used that I had no idea about. But so far I liked the second issue best #21 with Dr. Woodrow. I will keep reading.

As for Man-Thing, I have never read his series either. Only thing I read with him was the Giant Sized Spider-Man he guest starred in.

I'd mentioned in one of my earlier posts my friend tried to read it and he quit after the first TPB because he said it felt like he was in the middle of a story and didn't understand what's going on.

That's somewhat true, but everything becomes pretty clear after the first 10-15 issues. It's slow paced and all the background on each character isn't explained in 1 or 2 issues.

I'd stick with it until at least the 3rd TPB. If you don't love it by then, you probably never will.

Swamp Thing #21 is probably one of the ten best single issues in all of comics. It not only started Moore's career in the US, but it practically was the framework for the launch of the Vertigo line. It is often credited as such.

Agreed. It's also the one of the best ret-cons ever done.

The Haunted House issue (with the hammers) is always one that was pretty scary.

so your version has issue #20? that was technically his first book but he was just ending Martin Pasko's run, #21 is considered the start of Moore's run

and its Woodrue ;)

has anybody else read Black Orchid by Neil Gaiman? worth a read and brilliant artwork by Dave McKean

Yup, the one I rented starts with issue #20. I noticed I typed Woodrow and not Woodrue.....

I read a few more issue last night and digging it a bit more. I will read some more, actually finish volume one up today. I will then need to make another trip to the library. Oh yeah, I rented Killing Joke so I will have to read that real quick today!

Oh also I read in the forward to the collection that Wes Craven directed/scripted a Swamp-Thing movie in the early 80's. Anyone seen this movie? Is it any good, worth watching?

I saw it ages ago, barely remember it. What I do remember wasn't good.

Oh also I read in the forward to the collection that Wes Craven directed/scripted a Swamp-Thing movie in the early 80's. Anyone seen this movie? Is it any good, worth watching?

I saw it ages ago, barely remember it. What I do remember wasn't good.

That is what I figured....I think Marvel put out a Man-Thing movie for TV in the mid/late 80's as well?

With all the Marvels you have read, you are probably expecting a bunch of heroes to fight, take 12 pages to figure out they are on the same side, go beat up the bad guy, and then sell some Hostess Pies.

That was the plot of every single Marvel Team-Up ever printed.

Yup, the one I rented starts with issue #20. I noticed I typed Woodrow and not Woodrue.....

I read a few more issue last night and digging it a bit more. I will read some more, actually finish volume one up today. I will then need to make another trip to the library. Oh yeah, I rented Killing Joke so I will have to read that real quick today!

Part of the fun when they 1st came out was Moore bringing such literary richness to old DC characters. Like Jason Woodrue, "Master of the Plant World!" :ohnoez::popcorn:

2f971746-d1b9-4eeb-add4-5965a093a469.jpg

Swamp Thing #21 is probably one of the ten best single issues in all of comics. It not only started Moore's career in the US, but it practically was the framework for the launch of the Vertigo line. It is often credited as such.

But...it wasn't a ret-con. That's why it was so brilliant. Moore discarded nothing that had come before, but kept it all...then turned it inside out, set it on its head, and made it do the danse macabre.

All without undoing one jot of what had come before.

But...it wasn't a ret-con. That's why it was so brilliant. Moore discarded nothing that had come before, but kept it all...then turned it inside out, set it on its head, and made it do the danse macabre.

I thought that was a ret-con? Changing the previously established into something new (Swampy went from person/humanoid to plant).

That's what I always called a retcon. Moore did it better and more clever than most writers. Johns pulled a great one in GL: Rebirth with Parellax.

I thought that was a ret-con? Changing the previously established into something new (Swampy went from person/humanoid to plant).

That's what I always called a retcon. Moore did it better and more clever than most writers. Johns pulled a great one in GL: Rebirth with Parellax.

I tend to agree with RMA's interpretation. If everyone, including Swampy himself (and presumably the writers) THOUGHT he was Alec Holland, and that's how the stories played out, but he really was a plant elemental, then nothing was actually changed, other than a correction of perspective.

It is somewhat of a sharp distinction, but that is what makes it sweet.

and its Woodrue ;)

Black Orchid was a beautiful story.

This really was a golden time for DC (approx 1984-1989)

The underwater vampires issue still creeps me out.

+1 I love that he revisited the flooded town from Saga #3.

I also found Martin Pasko's child killer demon very disturbing in issue #4. Though not written by Moore-this story is straight horror, and I remember being disturbed as a kid reading it. :eek:

:banana: Chris

I read these scattershot, but have most by now. I will check that one out for sure ASAP.

Swamp thing is a green superhero with a small carbon footprint but a large actual footprint.

I think I read this issue more than any other book I bought off of the newsstand / LCS...

tumblr_m0wj84JAzE1qdbrufo1_500_zps8c9e0652.jpg

This one looks fun!

I was pretty busy yesterday and didn't have much time to read during the day. I just finished issue #25 this morning. I liked this issue as well, I have a feeling this issue set up a bigger plot/story to come. It has got me more interested.....

However, one a different note....I did happen to read The Killing Joke in bed before I went to sleep and I still don't understand why many love the comic?! The story to me was okay but overall I didn't find it inspirational or ground-breaking or whatever other things I have heard it called. It was well...mediocre to me. I couldn't care if I ever read it again.

Oh well, back to the Swamp Thing! Have a good day folks!

That golden time for DC went a little beyond 1989 IMHO, with Morrison's Animal Man and Doom Patrol, Milligan's Shade, and Gaiman's Sandman & Books of Magic (just to name a few) that spun on into the early 90s. Veitch's run after Moore was pretty darn good too. Not Moore great, but good. :)

and its Woodrue ;)

Black Orchid was a beautiful story.

This really was a golden time for DC (approx 1984-1989)