• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you guys press moderns?

507 posts in this topic

@Transplant,

can i ask you this, what is your goal in this thread?

You are the worst offender by far in this thread. Other than Public Service Announcements on how evil Larry is, what are you trying to achieve here? Just straight up trolling, or is there an ultimate end?

*shrug*

I'm a dink.

I get that.

Tip: If you contribute to this thread with feedback & info it will make the haters go away.

These guys aren't in here because you're a dink, or because some moderns will be ruined. Those arguments are pure sophistries.

I ruined about eight moderns today.

They were given out as freebies for fans to *gasp*.....read.

READ!

Larry,

Could you expand on exactly HOW you "ruined" eight modern books? Very curious as I believe we can learn a great deal from failures, perhaps as much as we can from the successes.

Thanks.

@Transplant,

You are the worst offender by far in this thread. Other than Public Service Announcements on how evil Larry is, what are you trying to achieve here? Just straight up trolling, or is there an ultimate end?

I've already stated my position on both the thread and the OP. Am I not allowed to participate in this forum and this thread?

*shrug*

I'm a dink.

I get that.

Tip: If you contribute to this thread with feedback & info it will make the haters go away.

These guys aren't in here because you're a dink, or because some moderns will be ruined. Those arguments are pure sophistries.

READ!

Larry,

Could you expand on exactly HOW you "ruined" eight modern books? Very curious as I believe we can learn a great deal from failures, perhaps as much as we can from the successes.

Thanks.

You have to read the thread.

yesterday "pitting" was one of the main problems.

I'll try to be more clear today with results moving forward.

thanks!

*shrug*

I'm a dink.

I get that.

READ!

Larry,

Thanks.

You have to read the thread.

yesterday "pitting" was one of the main problems.

I'll try to be more clear today with results moving forward.

thanks!

Yes, please do be more clear. Reading is sometimes very difficult for some on this forum.

Thanks for responding!

@Transplant,

I've already stated my position on both the thread and the OP. Am I not allowed to participate in this forum and this thread?

Of course, as long as you are not trying to derail, telling other people what they can or can't do, or trolling, then I'd be the first one fighting for your free speech as well.

@Transplant,

Of course, as long as you are not trying to derail, telling other people what they can or can't do, or trolling, then I'd be the first one fighting for your free speech as well.

My first post herein.

I imagine this will be my only post in this thread as I anticipate Larry will deem my involvement as antagonistic. When I first came to the boards, I was very much part of a movement that wanted to discuss what pressing was, how it was done and to have pressing history disclosed when selling. The NOD was an attempt by others to educate the collecting public on pressing and other types of restoration performed on books that might not be disclosed to a buyer. I, and many others who did a far better job, fought long and hard to encourage sellers to disclose pressing and other things to buyers.

What was the end result? A far, far greater number of people began pressing books. The education to the buying public translated to the practical effect that many buyers began to see the monetary value in having it done themselves. For many in the NOD, this was an ironic outcome as they could have been best described as being anti-pressing, perhaps vehemently so.

This thread appears on its face to be started with the intention of exposing some dark cabal of pressing secret keepers. That's not, in and of itself, a bad thing. There have certainly been threads of a similar ilk here before. But I think the real outcome of this thread is going to be a host of amateurs doing shoddy press jobs based on incomplete information.

With due respect to ZaCrew and the informative post he offered, that post is a prime example. He described a humidity bath and neglected to mention putting something on the lid to keep this warm water from condensing and dripping down onto the comic. Whoops. That could be an expensive lesson/oversight.

The people who charge money to perform this service for others are able to do so for 2 reasons: 1) They have the skill to press and 2) They will have developed more advanced techniques than what have been described here. They have experience and technical know-how and they're insured.

More power to the people who want to discuss it here, but I think the practical effect is going to be many more books damaged by bad pressing. Just ask Hooks about how well his waffle iron learning curve went. :eek:

I await your showing me where I was "trying to derail, telling other people what they can or can't do, or trolling". That post was intended to be my only one in the thread and then Larry started being Larry.

Hi guys,

Modifications I'm making today based on recommendation's of other novice pressers:

#1-trimming the overlaps of support board, center guard, & silicone to go past the book by no more that 1/4 inch ( was told it prevents waves and ripples )

#2-starting with front cover up spine to the back of press & finishing with back cover up spine to the back of press

Today I'm pressing:

Fantastic Four #2

It is a 32 page comic with the cheap wavy cover stock , cheap coated interior paper.

This one came in a half filled Diamond box with NO packing material. Virtually every shop in the world receives books like these. Damages.

The mission: remove the folds & production marks

FhFzFIa.jpg

I'm wiping down the press & using new materials to avoid "getting pebbling, and pock marks."

#1-The foam/rubber base of my power heat press.

#2-Cardboard insert from a single Diamond box topped w comic art paper

#3- silicone release paper

#4-back comic cover.

#5-between the front cover and the first page art board placed carefully to spine, trimmed to extend a quarter inch on three sides.

#6-interior staple page support, a newsprint Comic Shop News placed in the spine of the book. ( To help prevent the book being squashed knife thin, and help to leave the spine well rounded. )

#7-between the back cover and the last page art board placed carefully to spine, trimmed to extend a quarter inch on three sides.

#8-silicone release paper

#9-front comic cover

#10-Cardboard insert from a single Diamond box topped w comic art paper

Close and feel the pressure. ( I'm building up a tactile sense with practice )

Because my press is only heated from above, I'm going to try flipping the book.

145 degrees for twenty five seconds cover down.

145 degrees for twenty five seconds cover up.

Cool down in press to room temperature. ( two hours )

d6ODjOU.jpg

results: meh.

I don't think I used enough heat.

it's Cleaner.

Minor production marks gone, nice flat, supple.

Main fold still very visible.

record data & try another...

@Transplant,

My first post herein.

I imagine this will be my only post in this thread as I anticipate Larry will deem my involvement as antagonistic. When I first came to the boards, I was very much part of a movement that wanted to discuss what pressing was, how it was done and to have pressing history disclosed when selling. The NOD was an attempt by others to educate the collecting public on pressing and other types of restoration performed on books that might not be disclosed to a buyer. I, and many others who did a far better job, fought long and hard to encourage sellers to disclose pressing and other things to buyers.

What was the end result? A far, far greater number of people began pressing books. The education to the buying public translated to the practical effect that many buyers began to see the monetary value in having it done themselves. For many in the NOD, this was an ironic outcome as they could have been best described as being anti-pressing, perhaps vehemently so.

This thread appears on its face to be started with the intention of exposing some dark cabal of pressing secret keepers. That's not, in and of itself, a bad thing. There have certainly been threads of a similar ilk here before. But I think the real outcome of this thread is going to be a host of amateurs doing shoddy press jobs based on incomplete information.

With due respect to ZaCrew and the informative post he offered, that post is a prime example. He described a humidity bath and neglected to mention putting something on the lid to keep this warm water from condensing and dripping down onto the comic. Whoops. That could be an expensive lesson/oversight.

The people who charge money to perform this service for others are able to do so for 2 reasons: 1) They have the skill to press and 2) They will have developed more advanced techniques than what have been described here. They have experience and technical know-how and they're insured.

More power to the people who want to discuss it here, but I think the practical effect is going to be many more books damaged by bad pressing. Just ask Hooks about how well his waffle iron learning curve went. :eek:

I await your showing me where I was "trying to derail, telling other people what they can or can't do, or trolling". That post was intended to be my only one in the thread and then Larry started being Larry.

And "Transplant" is being "Transplant"

@Transplant,

My first post herein.

And "Transplant" is being "Transplant"

:acclaim:

One more...

changing Modifications I'm making today based on recommendation's of other novice pressers:

#1-trimming the overlaps of support board, center guard, & silicone to go past the book by no more that 1/4 inch ( was told it prevents waves and ripples )

#2-starting with front cover up spine to the back of press one side only

I'm pressing:

Manifest Destiny #1

It is a 28 page comic with the matte Image cover stock , coated interior paper.

This is a stunning copy except for a grabber mark. I can't ship the book online, because the grabber mark will cause trouble.

The mission: remove grabber mark & turn copy into a 9.8 candidate & submit it to CGC.

qwe0czJ.jpg

urtxpxT.jpg

I'm going to open the cover.

Find the indent on the inside.

lay down tracing paper.

With a crayon trace the indent, gradually applying pressure to push it out.

YAfKMWi.jpg

I'm wiping down the press & using new materials to avoid "getting pebbling, and pock marks."

#1-The foam/rubber base of my power heat press.

#2-Cardboard insert from a single Diamond box topped w comic art paper

#3- silicone release paper

#4-back comic cover.

#5-between the front cover and the first page art board placed carefully to spine, trimmed to extend a quarter inch on three sides.

#6-interior staple page support, a newsprint Comic Shop News placed in the spine of the book. ( To help prevent the book being squashed knife thin, and help to leave the spine well rounded. )

#7-between the back cover and the last page art board placed carefully to spine, trimmed to extend a quarter inch on three sides.

#8-silicone release paper

#9-front comic cover

#10-silicone release paper

(I'm not using the Diamond board )

Close and feel the pressure. this is slightly thicker than the Marvel. ( I'm building up a tactile sense with practice )

155 degrees for one hundred fifty seconds cover up. No flip.

Cool down in press to room temperature. ( one hour )

LhDccQu.jpg

ifflzbw.jpg

results: beautiful

Production mark gone....

paper flat, soft supple.

Jaw droopingly beautiful.

I'll submit this book any day of the week...

Damn.

record data & try another...

Larry, it still looks like a line/crease up the spine a millimeter or two in - is that the suppost board, still? One person has suggested that it isn't necessary to use this, have you tried that out since you have gotten more confident in your abilities?

-slym

*shrug*

I'm a dink.

I get that.

READ!

And this was my point all along. Why are you changing release paper on every book, a sheet of release paper could last a year, and you're getting pebbling, and pock marks and ruined 8 moderns today alone. Perfect your methods and then tell the entire boards your findings and how to do it, I won't say a word, but you have to know that at least a couple of people have bought a press since this thread started and are using all your techniques you have listed here, that's what I have a problem with and that's it, not your posting style or anything else.

Jim

why you so worried about what other people do? press , not press, ruin the books, got 9.8 books, <<<

I don't care what people do, I just despise giving bad/wrong information to people. Wreck as many books as you want, I could care less, but do it because you were given the right info and effed up, not because you were given half cocked info. That's all.

Jim

:baiting: come on Jim throw out one tip ! you obviously know something about pressing. just a little one?

Good thread, some interesting information shared, but nothing that makes me want to go out and try this myself. I have my first order in with CFP and will see how it goes from there.

I could see how a business owner would want to do this, as most moderns get shipped with non-CBCs and wavy covers these days....

Larry, it still looks like a line/crease up the spine a millimeter or two in - is that the suppost board, still? One person has suggested that it isn't necessary to use this, have you tried that out since you have gotten more confident in your abilities?

-slym

I think that is light reflection, not a line.

I have no interest in ever pressing a book myself or getting a book pressed by others but find this thread fascinating. It is interesting having someone post a trial and error while learning a new trade craft. The apparent animosity that lingers in here between parties and the posting of this skill is interesting as well I suppose.

-slym

I think that's the photo...

I haven't tried without it, only reduced the thickness.

I'm using art board ( it's much thinner than a backing board )

Larry in regards to the photos, I know you are using a cellphone.

I would suggest you find a location you can capture both pre and post press results at the same angle and distance. This will make you see how dramatic or not the change is (this should also help with changes in the lighting between each pressed book for giving those streaks etc and reduce another variable.

*Not sure what you have access to wise but my GPS stand I can use on a flat surface to hold the phone in place, snap the photo pull off the phone do my stuff for a while and then put it back into the gps holder and snap again.