• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you guys press moderns?

507 posts in this topic

Contrary to what people are thinking and what Larry would have you believe. No one in the business of pressing or using it as an advantage in the hobby is the slightest but concerned about this thread. Any opposition to it has more to do with the overall low opinion of the OP.

I get why a lot of the people reading this thread and posting in it would love to have the information. I will tell you most of the information you need is out there if you look for it. Beyond that it's going to take a lot of hands on experience and experimentation to get results and figure out what techniques work best for you.

What I don't get is why anyone in their right mind would post here as if appreciative and friendly with this guy. He doesn't have a golden ticket for you, and even if he did, why in hell would you want to associate with him? Further, why anyone that does business with him would continue to do so. Can you really not tell by his posting style and and the fact that he continually throws out grade school insults what type of person he is? Insults from behind his keyboard no less. Showing no spine at all.

Translation:

Please don't post in this thread.

It threatens me.

:)

No, you can go ahead and post in this thread all you want. Post the winning lotto numbers. Keep it at the top of the board.

As I said no one cares.

I'm not threatened in any way. I guarantee you that.

No, you can go ahead and post in this thread all you want. Post the winning lotto numbers. Keep it at the top of the board.

As I said no one cares.

OK.

Nothing to see here.

Guess we'll be seeing you....

You WILL be missed.

As I said no one cares.

OK.

Nothing to see here.

You WILL be missed.

What no insult, tough guy?

As I said no one cares.

OK.

Nothing to see here.

You WILL be missed.

I'll not take your bait kind Sir...

God bless you.

Today's press sandwich 03-12-14:

First of let's identify exactly what I'm pressing:

Liberator Earth Crisis #1 Larry's Comics shop variant

It is a 32 page comic with a card-stock cover, cheap coated interior paper.

They books look like one step up from print on demand.

It is a god awful print job. I cannot screen a case & find one 9.8

Every book is different. Different thickness, paper / cover stocks. Prepping the press for ea will be different.

We are keeping a log with results. I do a couple of press closures & adjust.

( the pressure applied will be different for more pages & other cover stocks )

It's my goal to apply the minimal amount of pressure & heat necessary to the book to remove the defects .

In this case: A "consistent" 3/4" production grabber mark that is present on the entire run.

I do not want too much heat & pressure. I want to keep the book supple & the same thickness.

Finding the right "formula" is what this trial & error exercise is about.

Rn3Qy14l.jpg

I did a pre-prep step that I received via DM.

Using a crayon, I carefully color the grabber mark from the inside over tissue paper.

I kept increasing pressure to push out the grabber mark.

This pushed the mark to quadruple size & it looked awful.

I was VERY worried.

Then:

Bottom of press pad

Small Diamond box cardboard insert

silicone release paper

book with vellum in-between front cover

This press I'm trying an interior staple page support, a Comic Shop News, one of the newsprint ones, I'm placing the spine of the CSN inward, against the spine of the book. Hopefully it will help prevent the book being squashed knife thin, and help to leave the spine well rounded.

book with vellum in-between back cover ( Vellum Papers are translucent and acid free.)

thin art-board.

silicone release paper

I did six presses with varied results.

The one I was happy with was:

#1-"interior crayon massage"

#2- pressed at 170 degrees for 120 seconds with cover up.

#3- Cool down period in the press until room temperature, allowing the expanded paper to contract & settle.

( This was 1 hour with a floor fan on )

cT9JQTYl.jpg

The final book looks great.

The grabber mark noticeably gone.

The pressed book feels NO different than a non pressed.

I consider the book now in "equilibrium" a settling phase & will place in sturdy bag and board and seal tightly.

More "Thank-You!" packages for valuable thread input are going now!

Keep the info coming.

I'll show you mine....

Haters gonna Hate....

As I said no one cares.

OK.

Nothing to see here.

You WILL be missed.

God bless you.

You've been quick with insults the whole thread, what's stopping you now? Don't use that "trying to get the thread closed" excuse. I won't even respond here.

As I said no one cares.

OK.

Nothing to see here.

You WILL be missed.

God bless you.

You've been quick with insults the whole thread, what's stopping you now? Don't use that "trying to get the thread closed" excuse. I won't even respond here.

God bless you.

Come see me at:

My shop

NYCC 2 DAY

Boston Comicon

NYCC

I'm very accessible.

It would be great to meet you.

Just testing a new photo size.

140 degrees cover up for 120 sec w a cool down.

( with all the padding described above )

Lesson learned.

Wipe & change paper w ea press. ( take care & be neat )

The back has divots due to particle pickup.

3eK8px8.jpg

Contrary to what people are thinking and what Larry would have you believe. No one in the business of pressing or using it as an advantage in the hobby is the slightest but concerned about this thread. Any opposition to it has more to do with the overall low opinion of the OP.

I get why a lot of the people reading this thread and posting in it would love to have the information. I will tell you most of the information you need is out there if you look for it. Beyond that it's going to take a lot of hands on experience and experimentation to get results and figure out what techniques work best for you.

What I don't get is why anyone in their right mind would post here as if appreciative and friendly with this guy. He doesn't have a golden ticket for you, and even if he did, why in hell would you want to associate with him? Further, why anyone that does business with him would continue to do so. Can you really not tell by his posting style and and the fact that he continually throws out grade school insults what type of person he is? Insults from behind his keyboard no less. Showing no spine at all.

I have no dealings whatsoever with Larry when it comes to transactions and I have no intention of owning a press right now. I actually find him a bit like interactive tabloid journalism, and to me comics are just a hobby that I enjoy so I don't take any of this too seriously. Why bother starting a feud? Is Larry a crook or just unprofessional at times? I am sure that pressing is out there to discover for all if you look for it but I find it fun to read about how someone is discovering it for themselves in a convenient place where I don't have to go out of my way. If I have any serious questions about it I will probably ask them and find my own way through.

Yes he continually throws out grade school insults but are they honestly hurting anyone? Water off a duck's back. In fact far less insulting than a lot of the abuse thrown his way. He's not hiding anywhere either, probably the least anonymous person on the boards bar none. How do you honestly show "spine" on an international forum? If you disagree with someone do you challenge them to a duel in person? Maybe a boxing match? Do you PM them for their address so you can insult them to their face... maybe travel 300 miles to call them a dingleberry? I wouldn't put it past Larry actually doing that last one.

... you are entitled to your opinion, I just think the statements lack credibility. e.g it's a bit much to say you speak for everyone. Maybe they don't want to be represented by you.

At the end of the day you would be better off staying on-topic and discussing his pressing methods rather than becoming some form of nanny State in this thread.

I have no dealings whatsoever with Larry when it comes to transactions and I have no intention of owning a press right now. I actually find him a bit like interactive tabloid journalism, and to me comics are just a hobby that I enjoy so I don't take any of this too seriously. Why bother starting a feud? Is Larry a crook or just unprofessional at times? I am sure that pressing is out there to discover for all if you look for it but I find it fun to read about how someone is discovering it for themselves in a convenient place where I don't have to go out of my way. If I have any serious questions about it I will probably ask them and find my own way through.

Yes he continually throws out grade school insults but are they honestly hurting anyone? Water off a duck's back. In fact far less insulting than a lot of the abuse thrown his way. He's not hiding anywhere either, probably the least anonymous person on the boards bar none. How do you honestly show "spine" on an international forum? If you disagree with someone do you challenge them to a duel in person? Maybe a boxing match? Do you PM them for their address so you can insult them to their face... maybe travel 300 miles to call them a dingleberry? I wouldn't put it past Larry actually doing that last one.

... you are entitled to your opinion, I just think the statements lack credibility. e.g it's a bit much to say you speak for everyone. Maybe they don't want to be represented by you.

At the end of the day you would be better off staying on-topic and discussing his pressing methods rather than becoming some form of nanny State in this thread.

Is Larry a crook or just unprofessional at times?

I prefer Larry is sophomoric at times.

:)

Anyway...

trying a new technique.

I'm changing the insert between covers to comic art board.

Hoping it gives a stronger back up to cover to lay down.

It's thicker than velum & razor sharp so it can be inserted flush w crease of comic.

Q2tmWZLl.jpg

145 degrees for 120 seconds w cool down on this bad girl:

FhvCKGd.jpg

Well said.

Yeah. That's what it's about. meh

Never mind that Larry has had far more controversial posts in the past, this is the first thread in modern where you've shown up to express this concern. lol

I have to agree with this 100%. It seems that there are a few people definitely trying to get Larry to take the bait and get this thread closed. Most of them would have predicted that it would be closed already but they are underestimating peoples curiosity on this subject.

If you don't like it don't read it.... simple.

Ok, one more for today:

Day Men #1 Larry's Comics shop variant

It is a 32 page comic with a light coated thicker than average coated cover.

The entire run has a production fold? in the lower right hand corner.

I know that it has been pressed out by others because I have seen slabs without it.

dss3k5n.jpg

EkWZBuQ.jpg

I'm going to try the crayon trick I used earlier to remove the fold, but I understand the pros use a bone folder with silicone release paper.

YtNTyMil.jpg

My press is only heated from above unlike dry mount presses so I'm going to start with bottom up, flip & end w cover up before cool down.

145 degrees for 1 minute ea

Book is cooling now