• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you guys press moderns?

507 posts in this topic

I do not have any customers on the CGC forum...

Untrue.

Who do I sell to via the forum?

Maybe some of you visit the shop, but there's no pressed or CGC books in the shop.

I've never sold a slab at the empire.

not once.

Ah, okay. I misread. I thought you meant selling generally, not specifically slabbed/pressed books.

I just started playing around.

Bought a vertical t-shirt press.

adjustable heat.

Set at 180 for 150seconds

sheet metal base.

non-contact paper on bottom & top.

Took out 6 MINOR non-color breaking spine ticks from a Sheltered #1 SE

9.4 to 9.8 canidate

I'll post video's for tips from anyone doing this.

(thumbs u

I just started playing around.

Bought a vertical t-shirt press.

adjustable heat.

Set at 180 for 150seconds

sheet metal base.

Took out 6 MINOR non-color breaking spine ticks from a Sheltered #1 SE

9.4 to 9.8 canidate

I'll post video's for tips from anyone doing this.

(thumbs u

Now I'm at:

playing around a bit w my vertical t-shirt press.

adjustable heat.

Set at 150 for 150 seconds

Rubber base w artboard.

Velum separating the covers.

Center protection added

Cool down to room temperature

Easily turning 9.4's to 9.8 candidates

( can I do anything besides taking an already nm book & making it a bit better? No. There are pro's for that :)

Swing by sometime.

I'll show off.

I'm going to create a professional quality video & post it right here.

Today's press sandwich 03-11-14:

First of let's identify exactly what I'm pressing:

Captain Marvel #1

It is a 32 page new Marvel comic with the really thin cover stock that is rumored to be made of still green wood/paper.

For the past six months these are consistently the worst condition new books in any retailers shipment.

Every book is different. Different thickness, paper / cover stocks. Prepping the press for ea will be different.

We are keeping a log with results.

( the pressure applied will be different for more pages & other cover stocks )

It's my goal to apply the minimal amount of pressure & heat necessary to the book to remove the defects .

In this case: A light vertical production grabber mark & a couple non color spine tics / bends.

I do not want too much heat & pressure. I want to keep the book supple & the same thickness.

Finding the right "formula" is what this trial & error exercise is about.

EJwdUGAl.jpg

Bottom of press pad

art board

silicone release paper

book with vellum in-between front cover

This press I'm trying an interior staple page support, a Comic Shop News, one of the newsprint ones, I'm placing the spine of the CSN inward, against the spine of the book. Hopefully it will help prevent the book being squashed knife thin, and help to leave the spine well rounded.

book with vellum in-between back cover ( Vellum Papers are translucent and acid free.)

thin art-board

I just pressed at 150 degrees for 120 seconds with cover up.

Cool down period in the press until room temperature, allowing the expanded paper to contract & settle.

( This was 1 hour forty minutes )

wKiHeudl.jpg

I consider the book now in "equilibrium" a settling phase & will place in sturdy bag and board and seal tightly.

"Thank-You!" packages for valuable thread input began shipping yesterday.

Feel free to post or DM feedback

Great work, buying a new house soon and creating a master comic room. I would like to purchase a presser, and thanks to Larry and this thread he has convinced me. Great job and any video I can get from you on the techniques you developed would be greatly appreciated. Also, any information on the best presser out there as well, thanks ...

Great work, buying a new house soon and creating a master comic room. I would like to purchase a presser, and thanks to Larry and this thread he has convinced me. Great job and any video I can get from you on the techniques you developed would be greatly appreciated. Also, any information on the best presser out there as well, thanks ...

Also, any information on the best presser out there as well, thanks ...

It's certainly not me.

Probably one of the dingle berries in this thread that feel threatened by somebody making a sausage with their own recipe...

It's certainly not me.

Probably one of the dingle berries in this thread that feel threatened by somebody making a sausage with their own recipe...

:gossip: I think he was asking for someone to recommend a good pressing machine. ;)

It's certainly not me.

:gossip: I think he was asking for someone to recommend a good pressing machine. ;)

Ha Haaa,

yeah, considering I'm three days into this, can't really help him.

Word on the street is dry mount press...

It's certainly not me.

So just to be clear, this thread is learning how to press or about mocking fellow collectors/boardies?

It's certainly not me.

So just to be clear, this thread is learning how to press or about mocking fellow collectors/boardies?

Probably a little of both.

Clear?

It's certainly not me.

Clear?

That you lack social skills, constantly berate boardies in general and have a past of homophobic and sexist remarks? Yes, crystal clear.

It's certainly not me.

Clear?

That you lack social skills, constantly berate boardies in general and have a past of homophobic and sexist remarks? Yes, crystal clear.

I think its time for Strawberry Shortcake to make an appearance.

It's certainly not me.

Clear?

Ok, well I guess what could have been a interesting discussion for people who do actually want to learn more about pressing is actually just a agenda for you to berate people. Yup, perfectly clear. I'm out (thumbs u

This thread reminds me of how things change and how that can affect people's pockets. When I first got into financing in the 1980s, I had a competitive advantage over my competitors. We financed people with credit issues. No big deal today but in the late 80s through the mid 90s, not many finance companies and almost no banks were doing this type of financing.

I took my knowledge of this from Texas into the midwest and changed from the finance side to the car business. This again gave me an advantage over the competition because I knew and had something that others didn't yet know or couldn't quite grasp. It was a great time and I greatly benefitted from being in the right place at the right time. Unfortunately, my competition learned what I already knew and they leveled the playing field. It didn't change the level of my success but it did make it a little more work to achieve the same results.

I certainly don't blame people who do this for a living for having a resistance to others learning but at the same time, very few master a craft so I also wouldn't worry about being overwhelmed by competition. If I had a book of any great value, I certainly wouldn't try this on my own. I do however like it for the cheapies. 2c

Today's press sandwich 03-12-14:

First of let's identify exactly what I'm pressing:

Liberator Earth Crisis #1 Larry's Comics shop variant

It is a 32 page comic with a card-stock cover, cheap coated interior paper.

They books look like one step up from print on demand.

It is a god awful print job. I cannot screen a case & find one 9.8

Every book is different. Different thickness, paper / cover stocks. Prepping the press for ea will be different.

We are keeping a log with results. I do a couple of press closures & adjust.

( the pressure applied will be different for more pages & other cover stocks )

It's my goal to apply the minimal amount of pressure & heat necessary to the book to remove the defects .

In this case: A "consistent" 3/4" production grabber mark that is present on the entire run.

I do not want too much heat & pressure. I want to keep the book supple & the same thickness.

Finding the right "formula" is what this trial & error exercise is about.

Rn3Qy14l.jpg

I did a pre-prep step that I received via DM.

Using a crayon, I carefully color the grabber mark from the inside over tissue paper.

I kept increasing pressure to push out the grabber mark.

This pushed the mark to quadruple size & it looked awful.

I was VERY worried.

Then:

Bottom of press pad

Small Diamond box cardboard insert

silicone release paper

book with vellum in-between front cover

This press I'm trying an interior staple page support, a Comic Shop News, one of the newsprint ones, I'm placing the spine of the CSN inward, against the spine of the book. Hopefully it will help prevent the book being squashed knife thin, and help to leave the spine well rounded.

book with vellum in-between back cover ( Vellum Papers are translucent and acid free.)

thin art-board.

silicone release paper

I did six presses with varied results.

The one I was happy with was:

#1-"interior crayon massage"

#2- pressed at 170 degrees for 120 seconds with cover up.

#3- Cool down period in the press until room temperature, allowing the expanded paper to contract & settle.

( This was 1 hour with a floor fan on )

cT9JQTYl.jpg

The final book looks great.

The grabber mark noticeably gone.

The pressed book feels NO different than a non pressed.

I consider the book now in "equilibrium" a settling phase & will place in sturdy bag and board and seal tightly.

More "Thank-You!" packages for valuable thread input are going now!

Keep the info coming.

I'll show you mine....

Haters gonna Hate....

Contrary to what people are thinking and what Larry would have you believe. No one in the business of pressing or using it as an advantage in the hobby is the slightest but concerned about this thread. Any opposition to it has more to do with the overall low opinion of the OP.

I get why a lot of the people reading this thread and posting in it would love to have the information. I will tell you most of the information you need is out there if you look for it. Beyond that it's going to take a lot of hands on experience and experimentation to get results and figure out what techniques work best for you.

What I don't get is why anyone in their right mind would post here as if appreciative and friendly with this guy. He doesn't have a golden ticket for you, and even if he did, why in hell would you want to associate with him? Further, why anyone that does business with him would continue to do so. Can you really not tell by his posting style and and the fact that he continually throws out grade school insults what type of person he is? Insults from behind his keyboard no less. Showing no spine at all.