• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you guys press moderns?

507 posts in this topic

People have a problem with the messenger not the message. Where do you suggest everyone goes with this? What is the solution?

Eventually someone is going to reinforce that it is the style and history of Larry's posts that is problematic.

So you could make life difficult for him by also being an Internet tough guy. You will be no better than him for it.

If that's your take on my posts, then you've completely misunderstood my argument. I'm not arguing against Larry.

Nope. I get what you are saying. I guess I was just trying to say the arguments in this thread are circular and dumb. E.g You smell! No you smell! No you do, no backsies.

Edit: I don't find it easy to articulate on a smartphone, it's slower than a proper keyboard and i have poor signal so I actually thought that last post failed.

CGC need to design an App for smartphones for these forums.

Make it tapatalk compatible

I talked to arch about that a while back. No plans to do it. I think you lose ad revenue that way.

Basically this is going nowhere fast.

People have a problem with the messenger not the message. Where do you suggest everyone goes with this? What is the solution?

Eventually someone is going to reinforce that it is the style and history of Larry's posts that is problematic.

So you could make life difficult for him by also being an Internet tough guy. You will be no better than him for it.

Ooh ooh I know. You could somehow try and censor people on this forum for stuff like grade school insults or releasing variants you don't like or for not learning that they annoyed you last time they posted and not to do that again. You would be much much worse.

Tldr: the arguments here are pointless and resolve nothing, but I reserve the right to change my mind if Larry pisses me off. This is the internet after all.

:signfunny:

AND to top it off.....

*shrug*

I'm a dink.

I get that.

Tip: If you contribute to this thread with feedback & info it will make the haters go away.

These guys aren't in here because you're a dink, or because some moderns will be ruined. Those arguments are pure sophistries.

I ruined about eight moderns today.

They were given out as freebies for fans to *gasp*.....read.

READ!

And this was my point all along. Why are you changing release paper on every book, a sheet of release paper could last a year, and you're getting pebbling, and pock marks and ruined 8 moderns today alone. Perfect your methods and then tell the entire boards your findings and how to do it, I won't say a word, but you have to know that at least a couple of people have bought a press since this thread started and are using all your techniques you have listed here, that's what I have a problem with and that's it, not your posting style or anything else.

Jim

why you so worried about what other people do? press , not press, ruin the books, got 9.8 books, <<<

Just got caught up in the thread, all the Off-Topic stuff is starting out pace the actual on topic stuff. I think its fair to say:

1.) Some people dont like Larry

2.) Some people think this thread is a bad idea.

Now that we have that established, why don't those who dont like the thread stop repeating the same things, their part has been said, its on the record, time to move on.

As for Larry's pressing, I think its great to see progress, learning, and mistakes in real time. I think anyone who owns an actual comic business, and see the pictures of what he is pressing, has got to see the merit of his endeavor.

Why should he pay someone else to do something he is capable of doing himself, doubly so when he is fixing and saving stock that has been ruined before it even arrived to him. Not only is it logical, smart, and obvious, but the fact that he is sharing the whole experience in a public way is a positive thing.

Obviously lots of people are interested, these forums arent someone's personal fiefdom. Free internet, free country, free forum, free speech, PERIOD.

I like this thread. I think it's interesting to see what seems to be working and what doesn't.

One thing I'm seeing is that there is a waviness to the book after the press. I'm thinking that could possibly be due to the fact that it's a newer comic and possibly too much humidity. (lots of ink?) (shrug)

I don't collect moderns, so I'm only guessing.

Larry, have you tried cooling the book down out of the press?

Maybe place the book in between 2 pieces of glass, wood, sheet metal, etc... and place a full short box on top (shrug) Maybe try letting it cool longer?

Just my 2 cents :)

*edit:

I guess I'm just not understanding the reason behind leaving the book in the press to cool down. Why not cool it down another way, so you can use the press to press another right away.

Maybe place the book in between 2 pieces of glass, wood, sheet metal, etc... and place a full short box on top (shrug) Maybe try letting it cool longer?

*edit:

I guess I'm just not understanding the reason behind leaving the book in the press to cool down. Why not cool it down another way, so you can use the press to press another right away.

I was wondering about that too then I read up on some other threads. It appears the concensus is to leave it be on the press so as not to allow for any premature or nonuniform expansion of the book.

Just got caught up in the thread, all the Off-Topic stuff is starting out pace the actual on topic stuff. I think its fair to say:

1.) Some people dont like Larry

2.) Some people think this thread is a bad idea.

Now that we have that established, why don't those who dont like the thread stop repeating the same things, their part has been said, its on the record, time to move on.

As for Larry's pressing, I think its great to see progress, learning, and mistakes in real time. I think anyone who owns an actual comic business, and see the pictures of what he is pressing, has got to see the merit of his endeavor.

Why should he pay someone else to do something he is capable of doing himself, doubly so when he is fixing and saving stock that has been ruined before it even arrived to him. Not only is it logical, smart, and obvious, but the fact that he is sharing the whole experience in a public way is a positive thing.

Obviously lots of people are interested, these forums arent someone's personal fiefdom. Free internet, free country, free forum, free speech, PERIOD.

I'll get behind that.

huffington post had an article about college kids having anal sex. Yuk!!!

*edit:

I was wondering about that too then I read up on some other threads. It appears the concensus is to leave it be on the press so as not to allow for any premature or nonuniform expansion of the book.

Makes sense. Was just a thought as the book would literally be hot off the press. And I would assume it would remain hot even for a little while.

What is the motivation behind the negative comments?

Larry is a self admitted dink. To me he is like that guy that talks smack in Fantasy football . I live for the smack talk it keeps it real . He says what he wants he does not sugar coat it and that's real ! like him or hate him, he is not afraid of post counts or what comic books you sell. I like that !! Is he always right ---NO is he wrong --------ALOT ! but if you take it for what it is, its just funny smack talk. Look at his posts he does not have 1000 posts saying "nice book" or "WOW" .

As for the pressers out there saying " OMG they are going to buy presses and do it wrong", did you guys start out perfect? Why are you smart enough to press your own books but others are not? OMG I only have 300 posts so I probably should not try to press my own books. I thought this form was a learning community that teaches each other about comics and gives information and deals to other members? Half of you are high end big book guys that hate moderns so who cares ! I really respect some of the great books you guys have and read your posts and generally agree with most of you on comics.

Larry is a retailer he has the right , especially with the condition of newer comics to be able to get better grades and maximize his profit?

OR..... lets just go into Larry's shop and buy the latest hot modern (HA) for a buck because its banged up, Then take it home and press it out and make the gains on that book. we don't even have labor costs or have to pay insurance or taxes. matter of fact Larry should just give it to us for free. I don't really think he wants to spend $2,000.00 bucks to get them pressed elsewhere. He probably would just sell them as discounted books to get rid of them before they went cold..

As for the pro pressers, they have put in there time and are masters, as a master I don't think they should have any fear. half of the moderns that might be pressed because of this thread would not get sent to them anyways because of costs. I am pretty confident they will do the same business. They will probably do more business fixing the failed attempts !

This does not mean I pick a side this is just my opinion of what I thought this community was.

Contrary to what people are thinking and what Larry would have you believe. No one in the business of pressing or using it as an advantage in the hobby is the slightest but concerned about this thread. Any opposition to it has more to do with the overall low opinion of the OP.

I get why a lot of the people reading this thread and posting in it would love to have the information. I will tell you most of the information you need is out there if you look for it. Beyond that it's going to take a lot of hands on experience and experimentation to get results and figure out what techniques work best for you.

What I don't get is why anyone in their right mind would post here as if appreciative and friendly with this guy. He doesn't have a golden ticket for you, and even if he did, why in hell would you want to associate with him? Further, why anyone that does business with him would continue to do so. Can you really not tell by his posting style and and the fact that he continually throws out grade school insults what type of person he is? Insults from behind his keyboard no less. Showing no spine at all.

:D Its funny you had to make sure everyone knew that though.

Well, I certainly hope this is staying on the topic for you guys. Here you go. I don't know these guys but they seem to have some knowledge and skills. I'm sure there is a lot that can be learned either way.

They've been promoting this for a while now here on the boards but I don't recall any opposition in their threads, attempts to get it shut down, or threatened individuals attacking them. Strange how that is.

Well, I certainly hope this is staying on the topic for you guys. Here you go. I don't know these guys but they seem to have some knowledge and skills. I'm sure there is a lot that can be learned either way.

They've been promoting this for a while now here on the boards but I don't recall any opposition in their threads, attempts to get it shut down, or threatened individuals attacking them. Strange how that is.

they are selling those next week as a 3 part series. There was some controversy on his thread but in general he is nice.

*shrug*

I'm a dink.

I get that.

Tip: If you contribute to this thread with feedback & info it will make the haters go away.

These guys aren't in here because you're a dink, or because some moderns will be ruined. Those arguments are pure sophistries.

I ruined about eight moderns today.

They were given out as freebies for fans to *gasp*.....read.

READ!

And this was my point all along. Why are you changing release paper on every book, a sheet of release paper could last a year, and you're getting pebbling, and pock marks and ruined 8 moderns today alone. Perfect your methods and then tell the entire boards your findings and how to do it, I won't say a word, but you have to know that at least a couple of people have bought a press since this thread started and are using all your techniques you have listed here, that's what I have a problem with and that's it, not your posting style or anything else.

Jim

why you so worried about what other people do? press , not press, ruin the books, got 9.8 books, <<<

I don't care what people do, I just despise giving bad/wrong information to people. Wreck as many books as you want, I could care less, but do it because you were given the right info and effed up, not because you were given half cocked info. That's all.

Jim

Any pressing tips out there ?

Do NOT press with dirty paper & press.

I'm embarrassed to have learned that lesson twice.

Today.

:)

145 degrees is where I'm at. higher seems unnecessary for what I'm doing.

I have four beautiful moderns lined up for tomorrow.

Chatting up a couple retailers tonight, picking their brains.

Larry,

The main issue I see with what you are doing is the pace... Is really worth it to do 8 books/day? If they have to sit in the press for 60 minutes to cool off, it's a killer, isn't it? You need a room full of those suckers.

Today.

Larry,

The main issue I see with what you are doing is the pace... Is really worth it to do 8 books/day? If they have to sit in the press for 60 minutes to cool off, it's a killer, isn't it? You need a room full of those suckers.

I figure that you have to learn to walk before you can run.

Just want to learn the basic process.

I'm pretty certain a better system will develop.

Tweaking tomorrow.

Today.

Larry,

Tweaking tomorrow.

Do you ever sleep. lol

Today.

Larry,

Tweaking tomorrow.

This is exactly what my LCS shop did, Larry. He bought one press and practiced on it forever until he knew what worked for him. Once he was happy with his results, and his results were consistent, he started buying more presses to increase his volume.

I dont see how a video that people are selling behind a sign-up wall, is really comparable to a "walk with me while I learn this, and I'll share what I find with you" do it yourself public forum discussion.

I dont see how a video that people are selling behind a sign-up wall, is really comparable to a "walk with me while I learn this, and I'll share what I find with you" do it yourself public forum discussion.

I believe you might have missed the point of that post.