• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reasonable price for NM 98?

579 posts in this topic

It's amazing how underestimated Deadpool has been. I can see this surpassing ASM 300 with no problem. ASM has quite a few copies out there as well but that never stopped it from hitting the 1k range in 9.8

I thinks he's got way more going for him than Venom even though I absolutely love Venom, I'll take Pool any day of the week. Top 3 characters have always been Lobo, (yes, lobo) Venom and Deadpool being my first. I'm surprised these sales are actually shocking people. I miss my NM 98 9.9. :sorry:

U had a 9.9? Wow. What did you let it go for? Curious.

Must have been a beauty!

Still have any pics of it?

Sure do. This is the full story. If you look on the forums, there was a pretty popular thread based on it at the time. "Sale of the year" was the thread I believe. I love your sig by the way. (thumbs u

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/Home/4/1/73/1014?articleID=89317

That's really an awesome profit. At the same time though sentimental value is priceless.

Beautiful comic and wish I had the opportunity to just hold a 9.9:)

There are a TON of 9.8's, around 1500 on the census right now and sure to increase with more submissions.

Yowza!... How is this $500 book again?

I guess we can't under estimate the sheer popularity of deadpool.

Looks to be a developing $600 book. One sold recently for $600 according to GPA and one sold in the sales forum for $550 (assume 10% save off of retail because of fees).

I'm guessing the market is going to be $600-$700 within the next three weeks. Buy now if you've been on the fence.

Thanks man. But I'm content with my VF copy. I just can't convince myself to spend $600-$700 on a book with millions of copies made - thousands of which are graded 9.8

I would prefer to go after a graded copy of IM55, raw IH181, or a nice SA Key. ;)

There are a TON of 9.8's, around 1500 on the census right now and sure to increase with more submissions.

Yowza!... How is this $500 book again?

I guess we can't under estimate the sheer popularity of deadpool.

Looks to be a developing $600 book. One sold recently for $600 according to GPA and one sold in the sales forum for $550 (assume 10% save off of retail because of fees).

I'm guessing the market is going to be $600-$700 within the next three weeks. Buy now if you've been on the fence.

Thanks man. But I'm content with my VF copy. I just can't convince myself to spend $600-$700 on a book with millions of copies made - thousands of which are graded 9.8

I would prefer to go after a graded copy of IM55, raw IH181, or a nice SA Key. ;)

Oh lord... did you have to say millions?

Why is it everyone thinks this book has so many copies in high grade? This books print run wasn't all that high for the time and the fact that most copies sat in bargain bins for years makes it less likely that there are a ton of 9.6/9.8s out there. If you look online most of the copies are in the 8.5-9.4 range. 9.8's could easily see $1500 in the next 2-3 years especially if the movie is good. I'm a HUGE fan of ASM 300 but this book will overtake it as the copper king in the next 6-12 months.

Why is it everyone thinks this book has so many copies in high grade? This books print run wasn't all that high for the time and the fact that most copies sat in bargain bins for years makes it less likely that there are a ton of 9.6/9.8s out there. If you look online most of the copies are in the 8.5-9.4 range. 9.8's could easily see $1500 in the next 2-3 years especially if the movie is good. I'm a HUGE fan of ASM 300 but this book will overtake it as the copper king in the next 6-12 months.

There are over 3,000 9.6 and higher slabs of this book.

There are untold numbers not yet in slabs (but the number is likely 2-3 times the slabbed number, based on estimates.)

Why do you think this book isn't quite common in high grade?

It is, by leaps and bounds, the 2nd most common high grade book of the entire 1990's in 9.8 slabs, and 3rd in total of any book, from any era, behind only Spiderman #1 and Wolverine #1 (1982.)

What would it need to be to be considered common in high grade? #1?

Deadpool is a top 3 character in popularity if not #1 as of right now and as of a few years ago it was the only book that had a first appearance of those top 3 that your average collector could afford. I'm shocked the numbers aren't higher than what they are.

Hmm, he isn't on this list:

10 comic characters to watch in 2014

Or in the top 20 on this list:

Top 100 Comic Characters

Not top 20 in this list:

50 Greatest Comic Characters

He is number 33 on this list:

2014 Monthly Comic Sales

And not on this list:

14 Characters to Watch in 2014

So yeah, top 3 is kinda hard to believe... :baiting:

(shrug)

Deadpool is a top 3 character in popularity if not #1 as of right now and as of a few years ago it was the only book that had a first appearance of those top 3 that your average collector could afford. I'm shocked the numbers aren't higher than what they are.

Hmm, he isn't on this list:

10 comic characters to watch in 2014

Or in the top 20 on this list:

Top 100 Comic Characters

Not top 20 in this list:

50 Greatest Comic Characters

He is number 33 on this list:

2014 Monthly Comic Sales

And not on this list:

14 Characters to Watch in 2014

So yeah, top 3 is kinda hard to believe... :baiting:

(shrug)

Hmmmm....I'm not a Deadpool freak, but I'm not sure most of these lists are rrelevant or necessarily dis-prove bighaley's point.

First, all the lists were made prior to the movie confirmation. That alone is a major game changer.

Second, both "characters to watch in 2014" lists are populated with characters that would be either eye rolling or abominable to many collectors, and many are previously irrelevant/unknown characters that are appearing in a movie or TV show this year. Deadpool does not need either to be "watchable". He already was popular. And many of the characters will fade back into comic book obscurity without their movies. But these lists are meant to be debated not considered sacrosanct.

Third, one of the lists out right calls Harley Quinn DC's "answer" (read: rip off) to Deadpool. So their number 3 character is a rip off of Deadpool, who somehow doesn't make their list at all?

Fourth, one of the lists is many years old. It's too stale to be relevant.

Fifth, one of the lists has Constantine at number 3. Come on.

Sixth, Deadpool is the wolverine to younger collectors. This cannot be denied. As these younger collectors' paychecks grow , NM 98 will grow. Harley Quinn is similarly popular, but her "first appearance" in BA 12 really isn't. Her first appearance was in a cartoon, and BA 12 isn't even her ret-con into the DCU. ASM 300 is the first appearance of a villain. NM 98 is a true (anti) hero first appearance book. It should be worth more than BA 12 and ASM 300, IMO, because other than the turtles, he's had the greatest impact on the hobby. He's Marvel's most popular character of the last 20 years. Too bad they don't own the movie rights to him.

Well hindsight is always 20/20. Just ask the people who made those 2014 lists rfoii linked. :insane:

-J.

hm

You make an interesting point.

Screw you, Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and Wolverine!

:sumo:

Third, one of the lists out right calls Harley Quinn DC's "answer" (read: rip off) to Deadpool. So their number 3 character is a rip off of Deadpool, who somehow doesn't make their list at all?

Huh.

That's interesting.

Because when Harley was created, and for well over a decade after, Deadpool was a nothing character that no one cared about.

It's interesting, then, that she is a "ripoff" of a character that nobody cared about for the majority of both of their existences.

It should be worth more than BA 12 and ASM 300, IMO, because other than the turtles, he's had the greatest impact on the hobby. .

Ok, I'll bite...how so?

Deadpool was a character that everyone forgot about for most of his existence. Turtles, on the other hand, was a several hundred million dollar property within 6 years of their creation, spawned literally dozens of imitators, and created an entire genre craze (B&W.)

THAT is impact.

Yes, I'm aware that you said "other than the Turtles"...but comparing Deadpool to the Turtles isn't going to get very far.

What did Deadpool change? What did Deadpool inspire? What did Deadpool do to fundamentally alter the course of comics?

"Popularity", especially for this Johnny-Come-Lately, isn't "impact."

To the younger generation Deadpool is their Spiderman.

Says who?

And who is this "younger generation"?

And why was Deadpool ignored for 17-18 years after his first appearance?

Spiderman was a hit right out of the box. And I mean, right out of the box. Spiderman fueled the imaginations of "the younger generation" instantly.

No character...not a single one...since Superman and Batman...had the kind of instant impact that Spiderman did. Spiderman is easily the most important creation in comics since 1939 (and yes, that includes Cap, Wonder Woman, Wolverine, etc.) It's not even contestable. Spiderman is the single most important character that Stan Lee or Marvel ever created.

But....Deadpool didn't even make a ripple when he first appeared. Everyone was Cable-mad, and would be for quite some time. It took DP 3 YEARS to make any sort of impact, and that died out fairly quickly. Domino was a bigger reason for New Mutants #98 demand than DP.

So how can it be that Deadpool is "the Spiderman of the younger generation"?

hm

Let's not re-write history, folks....

Says who?

Spiderman was a hit right out of the box. And I mean, right out of the box. Spiderman fueled the imaginations of "the younger generation" instantly.

No character...not a single one...since Superman and Batman...had the kind of instant impact that Spiderman did. Spiderman is easily the most important creation in comics since 1939 (and yes, that includes Cap, Wonder Woman, Wolverine, etc.) It's not even contestable. Spiderman is the single most important character that Stan Lee or Marvel ever created.

But....Deadpool didn't even make a ripple when he first appeared. Everyone was Cable-mad, and would be for quite some time. It took DP 3 YEARS to make any sort of impact, and that died out fairly quickly. Domino was a bigger reason for New Mutants #98 demand than DP.

hm

You obviously haven't been to your LCS in the last 12 months. No one is arguing that Deadpool has had a greater impact on the industry than Superman Batman Spiderman and Wolverine. You'd be a fool to think that. Those are icons. But, as far as popularity goes with the 'younger generation' meaning under age 25 deadpool is the guy right now and has been for a while. If he wasn't those NM 98 submissions would be MUCH less. But I guess most people sent in their copies because they like Domino..

Says who?

hm

You obviously haven't been to your LCS in the last 12 months.

Let's not make silly absolute statements. It's ok to disagree without getting upset. Honest. Don't take a challenge of your posts as a personal attack.

As far as your statement that one need only "go to their LCS to confirm DP's popularity." I suspect you haven't been to even 1% of the LCSs in the world, which would make it rather tough to make this statement.

Suffice it to say, not every LCS is DP mad.

No one is arguing that Deadpool has had a greater impact on the industry than Superman Batman Spiderman and Wolverine.

Are you sure....?

You'd be a fool to think that. Those are icons. But, as far as popularity goes with the 'younger generation' meaning under age 25 deadpool is the guy right now and has been for a while. If he wasn't those NM 98 submissions would be MUCH less. But I guess most people sent in their copies because they like Domino..

Again...sarcasm is unnecessary.

Quite obviously, DP is very, very popular right now. I'm certainly not disputing that. I am disputing the "Deadpool is the younger generation's Spiderman" and "DP is the top 3 most popular characters right now, if not #1" claims, for the reasons stated above. DP has been around since the "younger generation", as you define it, was born. He doesn't belong to that generation. He belongs quite solidly to the Copper Age. That he has become very popular lately has little to do with "the younger generation" (those under 25, as defined by you), and has much to do with "the middle generation", those people who were "the younger generation" when NM #98 came out (like myself.)

Remember....YOU were the one who compared DP to Spiderman...you have to be prepared to back up these claims, and not re-write history.

And most people aren't sending in their copies because they like Domino OR Deadpool...they're sending in their copies because they like MONEY.

Not sure how Deadpool would be a fan favorite of younger kids. I have 4 kids and the last thing I'm doing is buying a comic for my child where the main character has swords, a knife, and guns and goes around killing people monthly. Maybe teenagers have a liking for him.

There's a lot in this statement. When I was in my late teens and early 20s, the Punisher, Cable, and other anti-heroes were all the rage. I think the reason they were so popular with people in that age range is that action is more accessible than diplomacy, especially in a visual medium. So it wouldn't be surprising that Deadpool would be more popular with younger people than with middle-aged people, who might prefer something more nuanced.