• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reasonable price for NM 98?

579 posts in this topic

I'm thinking $600 will be the new ballpark figure going forward until we get a trailer or casting announcement for the movie. Maybe $650

I'm going to put it between $700-$750.

-J.

The question is....would you be a buyer at these lofty prices?

Especially considering that there are already well over 3K copies out there in CGC 9.6 condition or higher, with literally thousands more yet to come as a result of this movie announcement.

For comparison purposes, how many copies of Marvel Preview 4 and 7 do we have out there in CGC 9.6 or better, especially considering that GOTG is already a monster hit movie franchaise now with guaranteed sequels yet to come? hm

I'm thinking $600 will be the new ballpark figure going forward until we get a trailer or casting announcement for the movie. Maybe $650

-J.

Especially considering that there are already well over 3K copies out there in CGC 9.6 condition or higher, with literally thousands more yet to come as a result of this movie announcement.

For comparison purposes, how many copies of Marvel Preview 4 and 7 do we have out there in CGC 9.6 or better, especially considering that GOTG is already a monster hit movie franchaise now with guaranteed sequels yet to come? hm

The difference is that deadpool is already an established property with exiting demand for the book prior to any movie. He is already marvel's most popular and successful creation of the last twenty years. Granted, the book has received a sizable "movie bump" but the book was already rising regardless.

MP 4 and 7 were completely irrelevant books featuring little known or regarded characters and "only" received interest because of the movie. While the books won't be in the dollar bin again, they have already given back half their value in the last few weeks alone, and I anticipate a continued decline as additional copies of them hit the census and hit the market. That's because there is no legitimate demand for the books to sustain them in the absence of the movie, and a successful movie still has not changed that.

I'm not calling NM 98 an "investment book" by any means but there is a sizable deadpool fan base already, people wanted the book already, if anything the movie announcement has created a greater urgency for fans to acquire the book before the likes of movie speculators inflate the price out of reach. And it will be that fan base that provides a certain floor under prices, regardless of whether there is a movie or not IMO.

-J.

I have a feeling the census will show a HUGE increase in the 9.2-9.6 range.

9.8's are somewhat tuff to obtain considering the amount produced.

Just my opinion.

There are a TON of 9.8's, around 1500 on the census right now and sure to increase with more submissions.

-J.

The difference is that deadpool is already an established property with exiting demand for the book prior to any movie. He is already marvel's most popular and successful creation of the last twenty years. Granted, the book has received a sizable "movie bump" but the book was already rising regardless.

MP 4 and 7 were completely irrelevant books featuring little known or regarded characters and "only" received interest because of the movie. While the books won't be in the dollar bin again, they have already given back half their value in the last few weeks alone, and I anticipate a continued decline as additional copies of them hit the census and hit the market. That's because there is no legitimate demand for the books to sustain them in the absence of the movie, and a successful movie still has not changed that.

I'm not calling NM 98 an "investment book" by any means but there is a sizable deadpool fan base already, people wanted the book already, if anything the movie announcement has created a greater urgency for fans to acquire the book before the likes of movie speculators inflate the price out of reach. And it will be that fan base that provides a certain floor under prices, regardless of whether there is a movie or not IMO.

-J.

I somewhat disagree on your perspective in terms of it not being a "investment book".

I remember buying this book in July 2013 at my LCS for 350 + tax of course. NM 98 CGC 9.8

I got rid of it and bought it back for around the mid 440-450 range. About 100 dollar difference in a year or so time frame (i had to sweet talk the price down of course).

It hasn't stopped going ^ its going to rise and possibly hit the 700-850 before too much longer.

It would be crazy to not consider this an investment book. What else do you need. The hype and prices speak for themselves.

The movie speculation has been here for a couple of years. Now that's it's official, the sky is the limit.

There are a TON of 9.8's, around 1500 on the census right now and sure to increase with more submissions.

Yowza!... How is this $500 book again?

I guess we can't under estimate the sheer popularity of deadpool.

I have a feeling the census will show a HUGE increase in the 9.2-9.6 range.

9.8's are somewhat tuff to obtain considering the amount produced.

Just my opinion.

I meant considering the amount of books actually published (not sure if it was ever figured out), but it was quite a few. Thousands obviously. There was a damn good thread about the numbers for this book. I'll try and search for the link. Makes for an interesting read.

Anyway.

Now, out of all those books, there are only 1500+ in 9.8.

I don't know. Maybe it's me, but in the sports card world that's not too many considering the amount produced. Maybe comic boojs work differently I don't know.

I agree. There are a TON of them out there not graded.

I think when the hoarders start sending in their copies MOST will grade from 9.2-9.6 range and SOME will hit the 9.8 mark yes. It's gonna happen eventually.

Guess all we can do is keeps eyes on the census and c how it turns out.

-J.

-J.

I somewhat disagree on your perspective in terms of it not being a "investment book".

I remember buying this book in July 2013 at my LCS for 350 + tax of course. NM 98 CGC 9.8

I got rid of it and bought it back for around the mid 440-450 range. About 100 dollar difference in a year or so time frame (i had to sweet talk the price down of course).

It hasn't stopped going ^ its going to rise and possibly hit the 700-850 before too much longer.

It would be crazy to not consider this an investment book. What else do you need. The hype and prices speak for themselves.

The movie speculation has been here for a couple of years. Now that's it's official, the sky is the limit.

I'm reluctant to call a book that has already seen a "movie bump" an "investment book". That doesn't mean there still isn't money to be made on it in the short term though.

I also agree that we will see a greater increase in numbers in the 9.0-9.6 range much more than the 9.8 grade as well, if for no other reason than because people will tend to slab the more obvious 9.8 candidates first, and then the lower graded copies subsequent to that if/when they begin to gain steam as well.

-J.

-J.

-J.

I'm reluctant to call a book that has already seen a "movie bump" an "investment book". That doesn't mean there still isn't money to be made on it in the short term though.

I also agree that we will see a greater increase in numbers in the 9.0-9.6 range much more than the 9.8 grade as well, if for no other reason than because people will tend to slab the more obvious 9.8 candidates first, and then the lower graded copies subsequent to that if/when they begin to gain steam as well.

-J.

I have 6 or 7 copies, all of which should grade 9.2 minimum, that I've been meaning to get graded. (I've never submitted anything to CGC yet but I have a stack of books I've been meaning to.) Will probably do that very soon.

Looks to be a developing $600 book. One sold recently for $600 according to GPA and one sold in the sales forum for $550 (assume 10% save off of retail because of fees).

I'm guessing the market is going to be $600-$700 within the next three weeks. Buy now if you've been on the fence.

Looks to be a developing $600 book. One sold recently for $600 according to GPA and one sold in the sales forum for $550 (assume 10% save off of retail because of fees).

I'm guessing the market is going to be $600-$700 within the next three weeks. Buy now if you've been on the fence.

Two more...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MUTANTS-98-CGC-9-8-WHITE-pages-1st-appearance-Deadpool-/141045035197?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20d6f070bd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-CGC-NM-M-9-8-/221489734607?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3391d123cf