• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reasonable price for NM 98?

579 posts in this topic

Solid article here. From the same site that didn't have him in their top 100 comic book characters. And to make it perfectly clear I'm not a big fan of Deadpool(would rather have a decent copy of GSXM 1 any day over a NM 98 9.8) but his popularity at this moment is undeniable.

No one is disputing that.

But that article is terrible, filled with errors, and more proof that anyone with a website can post anything they want, with no editor to say otherwise.

Example: "And since he first received an ongoing solo series in 1997, he's essentially never been out of the spotlight."

What does "essentially never" mean? His series was cancelled in 2002, as they went in another direction with Agent X. He "essentially" disappeared as Deadpool for over a year. After that, he only appeared in his single title, and it was CABLE & Deadpool for a few years.

And what does that even MEAN, "never been out of the spotlight"? You mean, appearing in a single monthly title is being "in the spotlight"? So, since Cerebus was published continually from 1977 to 2004, does that mean Cerebus was "never out of the spotlight" in that time?

This, from a time when Superman carried 4 titles, Batman carried 5 or 6, Spiderman carried 5 or 6...

He didn't even have his own title, Cable or no, for 7 MONTHS in 2008! He didn't appear anywhere, in any comic, in September and October of that year.

HARDLY "never out of the spotlight", by any stretch of that phrase.

meh

Solid article here. From the same site that didn't have him in their top 100 comic book characters. And to make it perfectly clear I'm not a big fan of Deadpool(would rather have a decent copy of GSXM 1 any day over a NM 98 9.8) but his popularity at this moment is undeniable.

But that article is terrible, filled with errors, and more proof that anyone with a website can post anything they want, with no editor to say otherwise.

Example: "And since he first received an ongoing solo series in 1997, he's essentially never been out of the spotlight."

What does "essentially never" mean? His series was cancelled in 2002, as they went in another direction with Agent X. He "essentially" disappeared as Deadpool for over a year. After that, he only appeared in his single title, and it was CABLE & Deadpool for a few years.

And what does that even MEAN, "never been out of the spotlight"? You mean, appearing in a single monthly title is being "in the spotlight"? So, since Cerebus was published continually from 1977 to 2004, does that mean Cerebus was "never out of the spotlight" in that time?

This, from a time when Superman carried 4 titles, Batman carried 5 or 6, Spiderman carried 5 or 6...

He didn't even have his own title, Cable or no, for 7 MONTHS in 2008! He didn't appear anywhere, in any comic, in September and October of that year.

meh

So then....is your point that Deadpool is an also-ran character with no real or legitimate fan base? (shrug)

-J.

meh

So then....is your point that Deadpool is an also-ran character with no real or legitimate fan base? (shrug)

-J.

Yes, totally. That is absolutely my point. Has-been, washed up, no use for the guy at all.

You could totally deduce that from my critique of the article.

Spot on.

To the younger generation Deadpool is their Spiderman.

+1

My kids both love deadpool as their favorite character in comics. They both want to get deapool costumes for Halloween. In time, if not already, I'm sure they will exist. His popularity is increasing at a rate that I've never seen before with any other character in such a short time with all things considered. Go to any hot topic (if you have one of these in your area) similar to Spencer's, they both have more deadpool shirts, belts, buckles, pins and such, than most characters right now regardless of who they are. It's just incredible. :o

I'm not saying that "by the numbers", he's number one but I am 100% convinced that he's becoming one of Marvels biggest new stars. As far as CGC numbers and the census is concerned, it doesnt matter if there are 1000 more of these than ASM 300 IMHO. Even if there were 5 thousand 9.8 copies, I'm pretty sure there are more than 5 thousand people in the world who would want one. :foryou: Sure, there will be more submitted over time as there will be with most books, but popularity can easily keep this book relevant regardless of how many are out there. Deadpool may not be for everyone and that's understandable but he's very different than most characters out there and that makes him stand out in the crowd.

Solid article here. :jokealert: From the same site that didn't have him in their top 100 comic book characters. And to make it perfectly clear I'm not a big fan of Deadpool(would rather have a decent copy of GSXM 1 any day over a NM 98 9.8) but his popularity at this moment is undeniable.

So isn't that what started your rant? That his popularity isn't up there with your big 4? And now you're changing your tune? I'm confused.

. His popularity is increasing at a rate that I've never seen before with any other character in such a short time with all things considered.

I'm not saying that "by the numbers", he's number one but I am 100% convinced that he's becoming one of Marvels biggest new stars.

And it only took 24 years to happen.....

As far as CGC numbers and the census is concerned, it doesnt matter if there are 1000 more of these than ASM 300 IMHO. Even if there were 5 thousand 9.8 copies, I'm pretty sure there are more than 5 thousand people in the world who would want one. :foryou:

There are more than 5,000 people who want a 9.8 Hulk #181.

The real question is...if there were 5,000 9.8s on the census, how much would it cost to obtain one...?

hm

Solid article here. :jokealert: From the same site that didn't have him in their top 100 comic book characters. And to make it perfectly clear I'm not a big fan of Deadpool(would rather have a decent copy of GSXM 1 any day over a NM 98 9.8) but his popularity at this moment is undeniable.

So isn't that what started your rant? That his popularity isn't up there with your big 4? And now you're changing your tune? I'm confused.

Rant...?

hm

"My" big 4? "Changing my tune"?

hm

Is there a reason for the sarcastic buzzwords?

You're not confused, you're annoyed, and so you have purposely "misread" my statement.

But let me clarify, for the sake of the people reading at least: No one is disputing Deadpool's popularity. He is, quite obviously, very popular at the moment.

But it's not an all-or-nothing choice.

Is he more popular than Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Wolverine...? Or even Green Lantern, Iron Man, the Avengers, or Wonder Woman?

No.

He's not even in the same galaxy as those stars.

Those characters are, across the board, exponentially more popular than Deadpool.

Does that mean Deadpool is NOT popular? Of course not. He is, very popular. He is, clearly, the most popular character...now, finally...from Marvel from the last 40 years. That wasn't always so, but it is now.

My issue with your statements isn't that he is popular. He is. My issue with your statements is that he is a "top 3, maybe #1 most popular character", and that he is "the younger generation's Spiderman."

Bit of a difference, there, and important.

RockMyAmadeus you say that we're the ones that are taking this thing personally. You sure it's not the other way around or are your replys just for the sake of arguing?

Oh, quite sure. My replies are for the sake of education, and keeping the record straight. When people attempt to re-write history, I'll say something.

It's truly nothing personal, as you'll note from my lack of referring to your posts as "rants", and other such emotional buzzwords.

And, you should probably let other people speak for themselves. I'm pretty sure they're capable of doing so.

There are no board spokesmen, on any topic. No need to post what "we" think, about anything. I don't even know who the "we" is you're referring to, since you're the only person I have said to not take correction personally.

hm

. His popularity is increasing at a rate that I've never seen before with any other character in such a short time with all things considered.

I'm not saying that "by the numbers", he's number one but I am 100% convinced that he's becoming one of Marvels biggest new stars.

As far as CGC numbers and the census is concerned, it doesnt matter if there are 1000 more of these than ASM 300 IMHO. Even if there were 5 thousand 9.8 copies, I'm pretty sure there are more than 5 thousand people in the world who would want one. :foryou:

The real question is...if there were 5,000 9.8s on the census, how much would it cost to obtain one...?

hm

24 years vs 70 years for your 4 characters is hardly fair. Considering they had 3 times the length of time to develop, they should be more popular and also considering all the focus they have been given by DC to develop is also relevant information. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's super man or batman, I AM stating that he's getting insanely popular though. (thumbs u

On the Hulk 181 side (copies on the census) , I agree that it will have an influence on the price points. It doesn't mean that the books will be any less popular though. All books cool off here and there but for some strange reason, some time ago, many people thought we would never see any real boost in huk 181 9.8 output and that was a mistake. Book went from mid 20ks to 10k today (if that). That still doesn't negate the fact that people want one. (like myself) :cloud9:

Rant...?

hm

"My" big 4? "Changing my tune"?

hm

Is there a reason for the sarcastic buzzwords?

You're not confused, you're annoyed, and so you have purposely "misread" my statement.

But let me clarify, for the sake of the people reading at least: No one is disputing Deadpool's popularity. He is, quite obviously, very popular at the moment.

But it's not an all-or-nothing choice.

Is he more popular than Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Wolverine...? Or even Green Lantern, Iron Man, the Avengers, or Wonder Woman?

No.

He's not even in the same galaxy as those stars.

Those characters are, across the board, exponentially more popular than Deadpool.

Does that mean Deadpool is NOT popular? Of course not. He is, very popular. He is, clearly, the most popular character...now, finally...from Marvel from the last 40 years. That wasn't always so, but it is now.

My issue with your statements isn't that he is popular. He is. My issue with your statements is that he is a "top 3, maybe #1 most popular character", and that he is "the younger generation's Spiderman."

Bit of a difference, there, and important.

I see your points RAM but it's called what's trending my friend. No one is trying to take away from history. 3 years from now Deadpool might return to obscurity but for right now it's his 15 minutes.

hm

Since we're on the subject, I'm curious to see how long it will be before we see up arrows on hulk 181 9.8 copies again rather than the seemingly slow but steady drop they still seem to be doing. I better hurry and grab one soon.. :insane:

hm

24 years vs 70 years for your 4 characters is hardly fair. Considering they had 3 times the length of time to develop, they should be more popular and also considering all the focus they have been given by DC to develop is also relevant information.

Except that Superman, Batman, and Spiderman were all instant hits. It didn't take 70, or 50, or even 24 years for those characters to become icons. It took a handful of years, at most.

Deadpool's breakout year was probably 2009. That means, from 1990 to 2008, Deadpool was a background character, ho-hum, nothing special.

Superman was a hit instantly. Action Comics #1 was a sellout. Batman was a hit instantly. The two characters essentially created the entire superhero genre, from literally nothing.

Spiderman was a hit instantly. There is merchandising from 1963, the first year of his title's publication. There are Spiderman costumes from 1963.

Are there Deadpool costumes from 1991, the first (full) year of Deadpool?

Is there even a Deadpool title from 1991? 1992? It took nearly 7 years for DP to get his own ongoing.

The others didn't need three times the length of time to develop.

On the Hulk 181 side (copies on the census) , I agree that it will have an influence on the price points. It doesn't mean that the books will be any less popular though. All books cool off here and there but for some strange reason, some time ago, many people thought we would never see any real boost in huk 181 9.8 output and that was a mistake. Book went from mid 20ks to 10k today (if that). That still doesn't negate the fact that people want one. (like myself) :cloud9:

The book went from "$20k to $10k" for the same reason that an MS65 1881-S Morgan dollar went from $1500 to $100: it was a simple function of the census.

The book didn't cool off. Not at all. The $20k+ prices weren't real. That is, yes, people paid those prices...but they were a reflection of the census numbers, not what the book actually was worth in that grade. Now that the census has stabilized for many of these books, we will not see likewise drops in value.

This is a function of the census that a lot of people don't understand. When there are few copies on the census, people pay more than the book is actually "worth" just to own one.

And yes, the census for New Mutants #98 has long since stabilized. There are more than enough copies floating around that we won't see census related drops in value any time soon.

I see your points RAM but it's called what's trending my friend. No one is trying to take away from history. 3 years from now Deadpool might return to obscurity but for right now it's his 15 minutes.

lol

Ok. Thank you for the lesson on trending. I don't know if I've heard that concept before.

;)

lol

Ok. Thank you for the lesson on trending. I don't know if I've heard that concept before.

;)

Trolls need refresher courses every once in a while too. :baiting: I'm done feeding this one. :headbang:

lol

;)

Trolls need refresher courses every once in a while too. :baiting: I'm done feeding this one. :headbang:

No, you didn't take the discussion personally and get upset, not at ALL....

:cloud9:

lol

;)

No, you didn't take the discussion personally and get upset, not at ALL....

:cloud9:

lol

I love when new boardies try to school longtime boardies/collectors/dealers on the intricacies of the market and the historical contexts of the characters involved.

Deadpool is a top 3 character in popularity if not #1 as of right now and as of a few years ago it was the only book that had a first appearance of those top 3 that your average collector could afford. I'm shocked the numbers aren't higher than what they are.

Hmm, he isn't on this list:

10 comic characters to watch in 2014

Or in the top 20 on this list:

Top 100 Comic Characters

Not top 20 in this list:

50 Greatest Comic Characters

He is number 33 on this list:

2014 Monthly Comic Sales

And not on this list:

14 Characters to Watch in 2014

So yeah, top 3 is kinda hard to believe... :baiting:

(shrug)

Hmmmm....I'm not a Deadpool freak, but I'm not sure most of these lists are rrelevant or necessarily dis-prove bighaley's point.

First, all the lists were made prior to the movie confirmation. That alone is a major game changer.

Second, both "characters to watch in 2014" lists are populated with characters that would be either eye rolling or abominable to many collectors, and many are previously irrelevant/unknown characters that are appearing in a movie or TV show this year. Deadpool does not need either to be "watchable". He already was popular. And many of the characters will fade back into comic book obscurity without their movies. But these lists are meant to be debated not considered sacrosanct.

Third, one of the lists out right calls Harley Quinn DC's "answer" (read: rip off) to Deadpool. So their number 3 character is a rip off of Deadpool, who somehow doesn't make their list at all?

Fourth, one of the lists is many years old. It's too stale to be relevant.

Fifth, one of the lists has Constantine at number 3. Come on.

Sixth, Deadpool is the wolverine to younger collectors. This cannot be denied. As these younger collectors' paychecks grow , NM 98 will grow. Harley Quinn is similarly popular, but her "first appearance" in BA 12 really isn't. Her first appearance was in a cartoon, and BA 12 isn't even her ret-con into the DCU. ASM 300 is the first appearance of a villain. NM 98 is a true (anti) hero first appearance book. It should be worth more than BA 12 and ASM 300, IMO, because other than the turtles, he's had the greatest impact on the hobby. He's Marvel's most popular character of the last 20 years. Too bad they don't own the movie rights to him.

Well hindsight is always 20/20. Just ask the people who made those 2014 lists rfoiii linked. :insane:

-J.

zzz

Here are my replies to your "points"

"First" - order of operations.

"Second" - your first point...

"Third" - (shrug)

"Fourth" - took the first few hits on "most popular comic characters 2014" from Google, Google never lies.

"Fifth" - (shrug)

"Sixth" - I thought Wolverine was the Wolverine to younger collectors. Or do his last 7 movie appearances since 2000 not count (including multiple solo films)? Also, don't like arguments that essentially begin with "this cannot be denied." I deny it. There, your argument is invalid!

:hi: