• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ms Marvel 1 hype

44 posts in this topic

I've asked CGC as to why they dont include MSH 13 as the first Carol Danvers. They didnt reply other than stating I can submit a request with the issue and they might add it. I would argue that Carol Danvers first appearance warrants distinction. Arguably the "biggest" female in Marvel.

Seriously?

She does have the pedigree to be the biggest female commodity in Marvel's universe. I don't see anyone else that could have that title.

Scarlett Witch, Jean Grey and Storm are perhaps a distant close second, life status notwithstanding. Black Widow is just a sidekick, always will be.

EDIT - Although, I don't think there's been any speculation surrounding Deathlok's first appearance since he was introduced on AoS...

There has been speculation on AoS 25 the last 30 days, check GPA.

I've asked CGC as to why they dont include MSH 13 as the first Carol Danvers. They didnt reply other than stating I can submit a request with the issue and they might add it. I would argue that Carol Danvers first appearance warrants distinction. Arguably the "biggest" female in Marvel.

Seriously?

She does have the pedigree to be the biggest female commodity in Marvel's universe. I don't see anyone else that could have that title.

Scarlett Witch, Jean Grey and Storm are perhaps a distant close second, life status notwithstanding. Black Widow is just a sidekick, always will be.

In terms of the films, I can easily see Black Widow getting a solo film. She's an established character played by a very popular actress (who wouldn't pay to go see Scarlett running around in that outfit). At the very least you would need to establish Ms Marvel to non-comic audiences as she is currently an unknown.

I was reacting more to Ms Marvel being the biggest female in the comic universe. The names you mentioned, plus people like Sue Storm, Gwen Stacy, and Betty Ross, to name a few, are arguably much more important to Marvel history (even though the latter two have no super powers). In other words, how does the Marvel universe change without Ms Marvel? Probably not very much. How much does it change if these other female characters weren't introduced? Their absences would have much greater effects.

Seriously?

In terms of the films, I can easily see Black Widow getting a solo film. She's an established character played by a very popular actress (who wouldn't pay to go see Scarlett running around in that outfit). At the very least you would need to establish Ms Marvel to non-comic audiences as she is currently an unknown.

I was reacting more to Ms Marvel being the biggest female in the comic universe. The names you mentioned, plus people like Sue Storm, Gwen Stacy, and Betty Ross, to name a few, are arguably much more important to Marvel history (even though the latter two have no super powers).

I think you're probably right about a Black Widow film - her on-screen character does absolutely nothing for me, but she does something for lots of people.

Maybe Black Widow could easily translate into something along the lines of AOS on TV - but who knows. I'm sure a solo film will come along. Maybe ScarJo will take a turn on TV and show up on Daredevil. I'd watch that.

Seriously?

I was reacting more to Ms Marvel being the biggest female in the comic universe. The names you mentioned, plus people like Sue Storm, Gwen Stacy, and Betty Ross, to name a few, are arguably much more important to Marvel history (even though the latter two have no super powers).

I think you're probably right about a Black Widow film - her on-screen character does absolutely nothing for me, but she does something for lots of people.

Maybe Black Widow could easily translate into something along the lines of AOS on TV - but who knows. I'm sure a solo film will come along. Maybe ScarJo will take a turn on TV and show up on Daredevil. I'd watch that.

Black Widow could easily do solo films with some sort of single mission espionage plot to flesh out the character and tie into Marvel's other films. I have no trouble seeing that, it is just whether or not they would want to and could get Scarlett to sign on for it. Without her the character alone probably wouldn't support a big budget film, but with her it would be a blockbuster.

I just watched AOS, and I don't think Sky is going to be melded into Ms. Marvel - first - without spoiling too much - there's no correlation of Sky to Carol Danvers and second, I don't think they would damage the continuity of Ms. Marvel by shoe-horning a completely different person into the character.

I believe they would have no problem playing fast and loose with a Carol Danvers character, but I don't think they would go so far as to use someone completely different and very un-Danvers-like in the role - not to mention if they plan on building her into a mini-franchise or part of the Avengers 2 (which I absolutely do not see Chloe Bennet being a part of)

[in other words, how does the Marvel universe change without Ms Marvel? Probably not very much. How much does it change if these other female characters weren't introduced? Their absences would have much greater effects.

By that logic, Aunt May is the most important female character in the MU.

Or maybe because it's not Carol Danvers, it's an Asian? Muslim? girl in the new Ms Marvel series

I refuse to recognize that as valid. I also read the story behind it, not a fan of that either.

I would have like it much better if they created a new character. Taking the name "Ms Marvel" simply tells me the creators are lazy and don't want to earn readers, rather they want to try to "trick" an existing fan base.Carol Danvers being "promoted" to Captain Marvel is different as here we have one established character changing their name.

Or maybe because it's not Carol Danvers, it's an Asian? Muslim? girl in the new Ms Marvel series

I refuse to recognize that as valid. I also read the story behind it, not a fan of that either.

I would have like it much better if they created a new character. Taking the name "Ms Marvel" simply tells me the creators are lazy and don't want to earn readers, rather they want to try to "trick" an existing fan base.Carol Danvers being "promoted" to Captain Marvel is different as here we have one established character changing their name.

Ah but this thread "Ms Marvel 1 hype" has only mentioned Carol Danvers, suggesting that none of the contributors have actually read the book.

I was merely pointing that out

[in other words, how does the Marvel universe change without Ms Marvel? Probably not very much. How much does it change if these other female characters weren't introduced? Their absences would have much greater effects.

She always has been. (shrug)

Ah but this thread "Ms Marvel 1 hype" has only mentioned Carol Danvers, suggesting that none of the contributors have actually read the book.

I was merely pointing that out

I read the new Ms. Marvel and I really don't mind the concept - but again, they would be hamstringing their newly retrofitted character by making Skye the new Ms. Marvel rather than Kamala Khan.

I think the introduction of the Kree into AOS is merely to introduce the species to the viewers and not much is to be read into it at this point. Carol Danvers was psychofrakulated by a Kree weapon - she was not infused with Kree blood. And with Coulson also being infused with it, I think it's safe to say that it will be a plot device, but nothing directly related to the MU.

Seriously?

I was reacting more to Ms Marvel being the biggest female in the comic universe. The names you mentioned, plus people like Sue Storm, Gwen Stacy, and Betty Ross, to name a few, are arguably much more important to Marvel history (even though the latter two have no super powers). In other words, how does the Marvel universe change without Ms Marvel? Probably not very much. How much does it change if these other female characters weren't introduced? Their absences would have much greater effects.

The argument could be made for or against each character.

Sue Storm is part of FF, nothing more, she's not a stand alone entity

Gwen was a girlfriend, didnt really affect anyone outside of ASM

Betty Ross, arguably little to no effect outside of Hulk.

Carol Danvers has interacted with seemingly everyone. The impact of her presence is a topic of debate, but her importance, at least IMO is not questionable. She was a pretty big player in the "recent" huge cross overs, Civil War and Secret Invasion. Point is you could pick up seemingly any title and Ms Marvel was in it somewhere and sometime with a significant role. I dont think you can say the same of the others.

I dunno, Still dont ever recall her sans the family. Regardless, my view is biased, Carol Danvers is my fav. :cloud9:

I think Sue Storm was integral in the Age of Ultron storyline (I didn't read it, just skipped around) and she was without the rest of the team. But I don't see Sue Storm being a stand-alone character like Carol Danvers.

Carol, Tigra and Spider-Woman. Ms. Marvel is doing well, but I'd love to see the other two make a comeback, too.

She's definitely on the list. (thumbs u

Maybe it is just me, and the fact that I'm not a giant fan of all these female characters from the Bronze age that are suddenly hot, but I have trouble seeing Ms. Marvel really taking off in a film. First off the name isn't going to resonate with moviegoers who aren't comic fans. They'd probably find it a bit obvious considering the name of the company. Others who have a passing knowledge of comics might expect a character right out of Whiz comics.

Granted, I also would never have expected the Guardians of the Galaxy to get their own film, so what do I know. In any event, Marvel has plenty of sure-thing material to get through before they need to start trolling C level characters that few people outside of comic shops have ever heard of. There is also the issue of their new ret-con of the character, and as others have posted it would be somewhat backwards to make a movie that didn't support a current book. If they were planning that sort of film then why not go with Danvers as Ms. Marvel?

She's definitely on the list. (thumbs u

Maybe it is just me, and the fact that I'm not a giant fan of all these female characters from the Bronze age that are suddenly hot, but I have trouble seeing Ms. Marvel really taking off in a film. First off the name isn't going to resonate with moviegoers who aren't comic fans. They'd probably find it a bit obvious considering the name of the company. Others who have a passing knowledge of comics might expect a character right out of Whiz comics.

Granted, I also would never have expected the Guardians of the Galaxy to get their own film, so what do I know. In any event, Marvel has plenty of sure-thing material to get through before they need to start trolling C level characters that few have ever heard of.

The GotG shocked the heck out of me too. I actually have ZERO desire to see that movie. Wonder if I'll miss anything.