• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Alter, or Not to Alter?

45 posts in this topic

Hi all -

A quick question... that I really can't believe I'm asking! Got this great piece in the mail yesterday... so happy to add it to my collection!

Tuska2.jpg

I'm planning to take it to get framed this weekend, but last night my son asked me - "don't you want to just carefully erase the "To Larry" on there? Since you're not Larry?"

I told him absolutely no... you don't touch the art. But I have to admit it's nagged at me a bit today. I mean, I bought it from Larry. So for him, it was great that it said "To Larry." I don't really care either way, so I'm fine leaving it. But would it matter if it were erased? Like I said, I was definitively NO last night... and I think I still am that way.

But before I take it to the framer, I guess I just wanted to make sure I'm correct and that I'm not being hard-headed here.

Thoughts?

Frank

Or you can change your name to Larry.

I don't know... I used to love the show M*A*S*H*, so even today, someone saying "Hello, Larry" still gives me chills....

If you get that joke, by the way, you are OLD. Like me.

I'm not a commission guy, but that piece is great!

I didn't think I was either.. but when I saw it, I couldn't resist. I had my money targeted for another page of published art... but I couldn't pass this up. I know people always say this? But it looks even better in person. It's really phenomenal.

I would leave it. It's part of its history/provenance.

Absolutely. I wouldn't even think about altering it - it's an integral part of the history and provenance of the piece.

LEAVE IT ALONE. :sumo::makepoint:

End of the day, it doesn't really bother me... and my bigger fear is that since the piece was drawn in 1999 I am afraid that if I erased it, it would result in an area that was a different color that would draw the eye or something.

But since I'm putting it behind glass this weekend, the time to ask the question was now.

Thanks for the input everyone!!!

To the framers!!!

Yeah, I would and I have erased things like that before! Erase! It's not like it was published.

malvin

I think I'm in the minority here with Malvin. I have not erased any of my pieces, but if I could do so without making it look like something was there, I would erase it. For this particular piece, I think it's too close to the art, I'd probably let it be - but myself, I'm not a fan of personalization on original art.