• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants 87

237 posts in this topic

Not my image, but:

NewMutants86.jpg

This is not the whole last page however.

As far as his appearance in the story, he is on the final page, face shadowed and only the right side of his body ( sitting down ) is shown.

Then this teaser is directly below it.

It's still a cameo ( if we are still calling it that )

What's the first appearance if it's not that?

UXM 201

What's that? When he was a baby? Retcons don't count.

I am confused, why would his first apperance in comics not mean something?

Nathan Summers first appeared in Uncanny Xmen # 201. This is his first appearance, period. Just because he is a baby and isnt running around with 100 liefeld guns doesnt mean it doesnt count.

Retcon? I think you are confused with what that word means. Nobody changed anything about what happened to Baby Nathan, they continued his story. He was sent to the future so he wouldnt die, and then came back as an adult who called himself Cable. There is no Retcon here. Uncanny X-men 201 is the first apperance of Nathan Summers, who becomes Cable.

If Avengers 181 is important as the first apperance of Scott Lang ( Antman 2 ).....

If Marvel Super Heroes 13 is important for being the first appearance of Carrol Danvers ( Ms. Marvel )

and so on...

Then Uncanny X-men # 201 must be important for being the first appearance of Nathan Summers.

Edited by Silverdream

What's the first appearance if it's not that?

UXM 201

What's that? When he was a baby? Retcons don't count.

I am confused, why would his first apperance in comics not mean something?

Nathan Summers first appeared in Uncanny Xmen # 201. This is his first appearance, period. Just because he is a baby and isnt running around with 100 liefeld guns doesnt mean it doesnt count.

Retcon? I think you are confused with what that word means. Nobody changed anything about what happened to Baby Nathan, they continued his story. He was sent to the future so he wouldnt die, and then came back as an adult who called himself Cable. There is no Retcon here. Uncanny X-men 201 is the first apperance of Nathan Summers, who becomes Cable.

If Avengers 181 is important as the first apperance of Scott Lang ( Antman 2 ).....

If Marvel Super Heroes 13 is important for being the first appearance of Carrol Danvers ( Ms. Marvel )

and so on...

Then Uncanny X-men # 201 must be important for being the first appearance of Nathan Summers.

My bet is that when Nathan Summers was introduced in #201, it wasn't with the idea that he would become a character named Cable.

After Cable became big and they had to give him an origin, the writer(s) thought "hey, let's make him the Cyclops baby from the future".

Not a true "ret-con", I suppose, if you stick to the definition. But, what else do you call it?

Nathan Summers first appeared in Uncanny Xmen # 201. This is his first appearance, period.

But he's not Cable and he's a freaking baby with no lines, no character and no personality.

If Nathan had appeared as an adult or even a teenager over a series of issues, I might agree that the "First Nathan Summers" might be more important, but no one really cares about "First Baby Nathan" in X-Men 201.

Exactly. It's not quite as weak as Web #18 (or whatever that "Venom" appearance is), but it's in the neighborhood.

Again, I ask, what should that be called? I call it a ret-con, for lack of a better term.

So now Uncanny X-Men 201 is the first appearance of the character we would know as Cable in NM 87?

oooookay?

Apparently.

Madelyn_Pryor_008.jpg

And this is "Venom"

1317152-Web18Venom.jpg

Edited by chrisco37

So now Uncanny X-Men 201 is the first appearance of the character we would know as Cable in NM 87?

oooookay?

Apparently.

Madelyn_Pryor_008.jpg

And this is "Venom"

1317152-Web18Venom.jpg

Venom is doing 'venomy' things like trying to kill spider man and turning off spiderman's spidey sense. He's venom.

Nathan Summers is not doing Cable-y things, he's just a baby. He's not Cable yet.

It would be like Anakin Skywalker vs darth vader. If Star Wars was originally presented in order, Episode 1 would be the first appearance of Anakin Skywalker, and Episode 3 would be the first appearance of Darth Vader.

Edited by Revat

Venom is doing 'venomy' things like trying to kill spider man and turning off spiderman's spidey sense. He's venom.

Nathan Summers is not doing Cable-y things, he's just a baby. He's not Cable yet.

It would be like Anakin Skywalker vs darth vader. If Star Wars was originally presented in order, Episode 1 would be the first appearance of Anakin Skywalker, and Episode 3 would be the first appearance of Darth Vader.

Man, that was one of the nerdiest post I've ever read lol (j/k).

I agree 100% though...

1st Nathan Summers - UX-Men 201

1st Cable - NM 87

Man, that was one of the nerdiest post I've ever read lol (j/k).

I agree 100% though...

1st Nathan Summers (Cable) - UX-Men 201

1st Cable - NM 87

fixed that for ya! (I've got two HG copies) ;):insane:

Not my image, but:

NewMutants86.jpg

This is not the whole last page however.

As far as his appearance in the story, he is on the final page, face shadowed and only the right side of his body ( sitting down ) is shown.

Then this teaser is directly below it.

It's still a cameo ( if we are still calling it that )

Let's see the whole page . . . anyone? hm

One article recommended someone that was interesting, though he has played two Marvel characters previously.

FAN CAST: Who should play Cable in the upcoming X-Force movie?

cable.jpg

At 6'4" tall, he definitely would stand out from most actors and actresses.

he was on dexter, right? ukranian mobster.

I'm sure that #87 had broken out before #100 hit stands though.

It absolutely had. The problem being encountered is that people "remember" that it was "the hottest thing since sliced bread" during the New Mutants run, before #100.

It wasn't.

Ghost Rider, McFarlane Spidey, X-Tinction Agenda itself, all dominated the headlines from this time period (the summer and early fall of 1990.)

As fall progressed, it was all about Lobo and the continuing X-Tinction Agenda.

As fall turned to winter, all of a sudden we had three new huge surprises: Superman #50 and Batman #457 in October, and Robin #1 in November.

Supes #50 was almost instantly a $25 book (because the printruns for Supes at this time were pretty low...Cap City orders were an abysmal 22,250 copies!), Bats #457 was a $10 book, and Robin #1 was a $20 book.

All three books, of course, instantly going into second printings.

Not to say no one was paying attention to New Mutants #87...they were. But it took a back seat during 1990 to other, bigger caliber books. In fact, other than #87, you could still find the other books in the run, prior to #100, for a little more than cover price.

In fact, here's an ad from East Coast Comics, that appeared in New Mutants #99 (a full year after #87):

003-72.jpg

004-65.jpg

(No New Mutants #99s were harmed in the making of these scans.)

Something that's been mentioned once or twice, but mostly overlooked, is that LIEFELD was actually the big ticket draw to the title, more than Cable, at least for a while, and this is reflected in those prices (and, in fact, in the Overstreet Updates). #86 - $10, #87 - $7.

So, assuming the ads had to be finalized say, a month before printing...that means that East Coast Comics had, and was willing to sell, copies of New Mutants #87 for a mere $7 at the same time #98 was hitting the stands.

Kinda puts the stake in the heart of the' "New Mutants #87 was a $25 wall book in 1990", no? After all...if readers could pick up #99, and see the ad, and send in a check or money order and buy a copy for $7 (all orders were limited to one copy, min order $15, S&H $3)...why would they pay $25 for one? Especially in an era where grade consciousness was fairly non-existent...?

hm

It all changed with #100.

:cloud9:

of course, if that add was placed 2-3 months before 99 came out then maybe they wouldn't honor the $7 price at that point?

hamm isn't built enough. the ukranian mobster guy is physically imposing, sort of. either way nobody is going to be the steroid freak cable is in the comics, which is probably good.