• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When you receive a different CGC book than was pictured

244 posts in this topic

What's your point... that because two 9.8s look alike, that ALL 9.8's look alike? As someone posted early in this thread (page 3), that is not the case.

Edit: okay, I guess those weren't moderns, but so what? Are you really saying that all modern 9.8s really are the same? No modern 9.8 can have a damaged case? No modern 9.8 can have SCS? No modern 9.8 can be overgraded? No modern 9.8 can be crooked in the case? No modern 9.8 can have the microchamber paper showing?

Fact is, not all 9.8s are the same, modern or not. The buyer has a right to know if the picture you are showing him is a picture of the actual item for sale.

There is a courtesy extended in informal (as opposed to formal) debate, which is called "the exception that makes the rule." It is understood (that is, it is taken for granted), that, in informal debate, when someone makes a claim, it is not taken to mean "every single possible permutation of the circumstances of that claim, forever and ever", but, rather, that it is a general rule for which exceptions necessarily exist, but which is nevertheless generally true even when exceptions are taken into account.

It does not need to be stated, except to the compulsively literal, in each and every instance. It is taken for granted that "all" = "all (with those exceptions that make the rule.)"

Obviously, a situation (these are the key words here) outside the norm would need to be noted. A cracked case is not normal. It would need to be noted and/or shown.

No one has said "all modern 9.8s are identical" and meant each and every single modern 9.8 that has ever existed, does exist, and will ever exist.

The fact is, however, that the vast, vast majority of modern 9.8s are, in fact, identical for the purpose of showing in a picture.

The rest of this is just mental flossing.

What's your point... that because two 9.8s look alike, that ALL 9.8's look alike? As someone posted early in this thread (page 3), that is not the case.

Edit: okay, I guess those weren't moderns, but so what? Are you really saying that all modern 9.8s really are the same? No modern 9.8 can have a damaged case? No modern 9.8 can have SCS? No modern 9.8 can be overgraded? No modern 9.8 can be crooked in the case? No modern 9.8 can have the microchamber paper showing?

Fact is, not all 9.8s are the same, modern or not. The buyer has a right to know if the picture you are showing him is a picture of the actual item for sale.

Answer to your question is yes. Most if not all modern 9.8's look the same. Do damaged Cgc cases look the same? No. What the problem here is, the seller sold you a damaged Cgc slab. If there was no damage, you couldn't tell the difference between that slab or the picture you saw in the listing except for the Cgc serial number.

This is why we really need a company to slab and grade the CGC slabs. No two pieces of plastic are truly identical.

Buy the plastic, not the label.

There is a courtesy extended in informal (as opposed to formal) debate, which is called "the exception that makes the rule." It is understood (that is, it is taken for granted), that, in informal debate, when someone makes a claim, it is not taken to mean "every single possible permutation of the circumstances of that claim, forever and ever", but, rather, that it is a general rule for which exceptions necessarily exist, but which is nevertheless generally true even when exceptions are taken into account.

It does not need to be stated, except to the compulsively literal, in each and every instance. It is taken for granted that "all" = "all (with those exceptions that make the rule.)"

Obviously, a situation (these are the key words here) outside the norm would need to be noted. A cracked case is not normal. It would need to be noted and/or shown.

No one has said "all modern 9.8s are identical" and meant each and every single modern 9.8 that has ever existed, does exist, and will ever exist.

The fact is, however, that the vast, vast majority of modern 9.8s are, in fact, identical for the purpose of showing in a picture.

The rest of this is just mental flossing.

+1 I am terrible with words. All or most if not all, is just me saying a lot. Wife gets mad when I say "a couple of something" and I mean more than 2.

Most if not all modern 9.8's look the same. Do damaged Cgc cases look the same? No. What the problem here is, the seller sold you a damaged Cgc slab. If there was no damage, you couldn't tell the difference between that slab or the picture you saw in the listing except for the Cgc serial number.

... and the white fluff sealed inside the case, and the microchamber paper showing.

Seems like you just made my point for me. A photo is best. If you can't provide a photo of the actual item, disclose that fact to the buyer.

Edit: BTW, no, I'm not the person who bought this particular item. That was the OP.

Use "several" for now on. You'll always be covered that way.

Good idea. If I grab a handful of m&ms I usually say "I only had a couple of them".

Yeah I wouldn't do that if I were you.....

I bought 3 modern 9.8s from the user Ryan on here that has tank comics on ebay and I had noticed going back through all his completed listings he had used all the same pictures for the books I had gotten already, but I had seen high positive feedback and found him here, so had no problems with buying them. Though I could see if people didn't do investigating and see everything is legit, they may not like it much.

Most if not all modern 9.8's look the same. Do damaged Cgc cases look the same? No. What the problem here is, the seller sold you a damaged Cgc slab. If there was no damage, you couldn't tell the difference between that slab or the picture you saw in the listing except for the Cgc serial number.

... and the white fluff sealed inside the case, and the microchamber paper showing.

Seems like you just made my point for me. A photo is best. If you can't provide a photo of the actual item, disclose that fact to the buyer.

Edit: BTW, no, I'm not the person who bought this particular item. That was the OP.

I didn't prove your point. If the paper is showing and there is fluff inside the case, completely different story. That is cause for a reslab and people should disclose paper showing of stuff inside the case. You dancing around my point is proving my point.

I didn't prove your point. If the paper is showing and there is fluff inside the case, completely different story. That is cause for a reslab and people should disclose paper showing of stuff inside the case. You dancing around my point is proving my point.

Unfortunately, not every seller shares the same decency and moral standards that you do, and wont disclose out of the norm anomalies.

I'm sure you've seen an auction where the seller specifically states, "the item you will receive is the exact one shown in the display photos", or something to that effect. It's not hard to fathom that sellers started saying this because buyers had been cheated in the past, and are now concerned as to whether or not the display photo was a photo of the actual item.

All I can say Is that If I have 10 CGC 9.8 modern books, and they are identical, I'm still going to scan every single one. Main reason being, I don't want a buyer returning a book because the slab number is different, or there is a slight scratch on the case that I didn't notice before, or whatever. When it comes to refunds, and unhappy customers, presenting a photo of the actual item is ALWAYS a very good preventative measure.

Well I think we can all agree that if it weren't for the cracked case and the annoying paper right in front I most likely would never have even thought to compare it to the the posting, and therefore would never have realized it wasn't the image shown.

My problem with the whole thing is that in my head I see the guy getting this back from CGC and saying "darn, this looks awful, let me sell it on ebay using a different photo and hopefully the chump on the other end doesn't notice." And I coulda been that chump.

Nobody likes being a chump. Well anyways its going back.

I wouldn't quite go that far. I think what this thread illustrates is that even honest sellers and buyers don't always agree on what constitutes a flaw that needs to be disclosed. That's why photos matter. Your seller may not have been trying to pull a fast one. He may just not think that the flaws in question are a big deal.