• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So is this board mainly full of high end collectors?

184 posts in this topic

Don't rile him up, people. Unless you want to be defeated. lol

right?

What?

Right? They'll get defeated

mandy.jpg

You're trying too hard.

I'm making progress. Much closer to 25K now.

Watch me pass you up...

I was never offered to you. (tsk)

I got a PM

There is a thead out there that has kav conceding to me.

I have been trying not to be online so much, but don't think that the sleeping giant cannot awaken.

-slym

Slym can defeat me

I shall go the West... and remain at rest.

-slym

I'll take the Eastern quadrant

I must confess that I am a little confused about your reply here. The truth is that I have recently been informed by my Fiancee that the collection I have had since I was a kid is a little too massive for the two bedroom apartment that we have just moved into. Because of this I am having to narrow down my focus of the comics that I am going to collect instead of just picking up whatever might interest me. I am currently going through some of the old comics that I do not really have a huge interest in keeping (either because the series ended, was not as good as what I had hoped, The issues are not as collectible as I thought they would be back in the day, or other reasons) and find myself with a large box of comics that I am checking the values for. As I suspected, most of these issues are not worth what I paid for them back when I first purchased them so I am trying to decide what I need to do with them to free up room to buy more comics that I actually want.

I originally entertained the idea of trying to sell them online but after being on these boards for a day or two I think it would be an insult to try to off load most of these low value books on E-Bay or some other site so I am most likely just going to take them to my local shop and sell them for pennies just to get rid of them and make some more room.

How big is your collection? when you were younger, were you only buying new books or did you also buy back issues?

I must confess that I am a little confused about your reply here. The truth is that I have recently been informed by my Fiancee that the collection I have had since I was a kid is a little too massive for the two bedroom apartment that we have just moved into. Because of this I am having to narrow down my focus of the comics that I am going to collect instead of just picking up whatever might interest me. I am currently going through some of the old comics that I do not really have a huge interest in keeping (either because the series ended, was not as good as what I had hoped, The issues are not as collectible as I thought they would be back in the day, or other reasons) and find myself with a large box of comics that I am checking the values for. As I suspected, most of these issues are not worth what I paid for them back when I first purchased them so I am trying to decide what I need to do with them to free up room to buy more comics that I actually want.

I originally entertained the idea of trying to sell them online but after being on these boards for a day or two I think it would be an insult to try to off load most of these low value books on E-Bay or some other site so I am most likely just going to take them to my local shop and sell them for pennies just to get rid of them and make some more room.

How big is your collection? when you were younger, were you only buying new books or did you also buy back issues?

I honestly could not tell you how big my collection actually is. At one point I could have told you the exact number of books that I have but I have not know that number for many years. I honestly never thought my collection was that big. Then I started taking them out of the boxes when we were unpacking. They had been in storage in waterproof containers for several years. Currently I am looking at a 5 shelf bookcase that is overflowing with them as well as a two drawer filing cabinet and another huge tote sitting in the corner of the room that I have no room for. That is also not counting the over 200+ comics that are sitting beside my desk right now that I am currently going through to get rid of.

I will come back to you guys one day soon with an actual number.

As for your back issue question. Yes I own back issues of the comics that I actually cared about (X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, some Green Lantern, a few Superman here and there) If I had to guess I would say that most of my comics are from the 90's but I know I have some mid to early 80's comics in my collection as well. Because of my limited budget as a kid I did not really have the money to lay down for any huge purchases.

Sadly I am now in my 30's and not much has changed. I am still tight on money but out of all of the hobbies I tried as a kid I have to say that collecting comics was the one that I loved the best. I do not know how a person on a tight budget can collect in this day and age with the price of books but I am going to try.

- Figure out your budget

- Decide on your focus. If you look at everything, you'll want everything.

- Know the price of the books you're after. I'm still missing issues in 80's Hulk, 80's Cap, 80-90's Thor, and such things. They're readily available at $3-5 each, but I know I don't have to pay that much, so I'm willing to wait to finish my runs until I find them in discount bins or volume purchases.

As far as clearing out issues you don't want, consider that you paid for the enjoyment of the book as if you went to the movies. That is, you paid $3 for a story, and you got $3's worth of entertainment out of it. The collectible aspect is entirely seperate. You've gotten your money's worth out of each book, so any value you get in resale is gravy. The return will be minimal, so keep what still gives you some enjoyment, and get rid of anything that gives you no enjoyment.

The truth is that I have recently been informed by my Fiancee that the collection I have had since I was a kid is a little too massive for the two bedroom apartment that we have just moved into.

Don't you mean ex-fiancee?

Really! You had the comics before her. Let her know they were there first!

(:

-slym

The truth is that I have recently been informed by my Fiancee that the collection I have had since I was a kid is a little too massive for the two bedroom apartment that we have just moved into.

lol! well, all things considered I really did need to go through my collection and thin it out a little. Like I said in an earlier post, I did not realize how big my actual collection was until I actually had to start moving it. Then I had to face the fact that my "small" comic book collection was not nearly as small as I had originally thought.

Comic selling aside, My fiancée is definitely a keeper because she is a geek just like I am. Her taste are just a little different from my own. She collects Japanese comics (Manga) and has for many years. The plus side to this is she can not be too hard on me for my hobby because she has one of her own. She has had to thin out her manga collection a little to help us deal with this move so I feel it only fair that I do the same.

To be perfectly honest, even though I got enjoyment out of reading these volumes I seriously doubt that I will ever read through them again (the ones that I thought I would are being kept) and they have no collectable value. That means that all they are doing is taking up extra space that we do not really have.

I am going to consider this a new start for myself. I am not going to live in the past. I am going to get rid of these books and then narrow my focus to work within my budget and hopefully regain the enjoyment of the greatest hobby that I ever had and become a better collector then I was as a teenager.

Besides, if she asks me to get rid of too much of my collection the American comics will not be the only thing going and I really do not want to see a grown woman cry :)

I honestly could not tell you how big my collection actually is. At one point I could have told you the exact number of books that I have but I have not know that number for many years. I honestly never thought my collection was that big. Then I started taking them out of the boxes when we were unpacking. They had been in storage in waterproof containers for several years. Currently I am looking at a 5 shelf bookcase that is overflowing with them as well as a two drawer filing cabinet and another huge tote sitting in the corner of the room that I have no room for. That is also not counting the over 200+ comics that are sitting beside my desk right now that I am currently going through to get rid of.

I will come back to you guys one day soon with an actual number.

As for your back issue question. Yes I own back issues of the comics that I actually cared about (X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, some Green Lantern, a few Superman here and there) If I had to guess I would say that most of my comics are from the 90's but I know I have some mid to early 80's comics in my collection as well. Because of my limited budget as a kid I did not really have the money to lay down for any huge purchases.

Sadly I am now in my 30's and not much has changed. I am still tight on money but out of all of the hobbies I tried as a kid I have to say that collecting comics was the one that I loved the best. I do not know how a person on a tight budget can collect in this day and age with the price of books but I am going to try.

Are the ones on the bookshelf stored in longboxes? You can fit quite a few longboxes into a small closet. When I lived in an apartment (with my wife), I fit my entire collection into a closet in the spare bedroom. And we had tons of other mess around. Still had plenty of space

(:

-slym

Amen! Tell her if she don't like em,there is the door.I assure you she will let you keep your collection.Keep your balls my friend,and don't let her get the upper hand.Or else you will be cowering for just about everything.I get 50/50 relationships,but don't let her control you.

(:

-slym

Amen! Tell her if she don't like em,there is the door.I assure you she will let you keep your collection.Keep your balls my friend,and don't let her get the upper hand.Or else you will be cowering for just about everything.I get 50/50 relationships,but don't let her control you.

Best way to get a girl to cheat on you is lose your balls.