• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 March Madness Comic Grading Tournament - Round of 128

322 posts in this topic

For instance, the infamous Tomahawk book from the Nik memorial grading contest of a few years ago was another comic that flummoxed many, many people. As I recall, it was a 7.0 or thereabouts that looked more like a 5.0 or worse.

Sure, and like I said, you will always have some marginally graded books. I disagreed with the Lois Lane, but that's the way the CGC cookie crumbles.

But that's not what we're talking about here. The Avengers 181 was a process decision that amounted to pure guesswork, and determining, from a scan, whether that chunk missing from the book was a) production related or b) damage related. It had absolutely nothing to do with the grade, but the process CGC used to determine *what* that big missing chunk really was.

That is not a grading exercise, and comes down to guessing correctly on which end CGC places the missing chunk. If it's damage then it's a 4-5 but if it's production, then it's a 8.5-9.2. That's a huge swing on a judgement call.

Big difference, and that missing chunk is impossible to quantify without the book in hand.

You need these "tomatoe" books so that it weeds out contestents.

Sure, but this "gotcha, tomato surprise" stuff makes me feel like I'm on Jeopardy and near the end of the show, Alex Trebek leaves and Will Ferrell comes out and the board changes to categories like "How Many Tomatoes Can These US Presidents Eat?".

For instance, the infamous Tomahawk book from the Nik memorial grading contest of a few years ago was another comic that flummoxed many, many people. As I recall, it was a 7.0 or thereabouts that looked more like a 5.0 or worse.

Maybe someone can dig up that thread

Link

Round6-rnd6001.jpg

The famous Nik bump! :acclaim:

Can someone tell me what a "chip out" is? Is that production related, I take it?

Chip out is a production related term. I have never seen it used on that side of the book (the open side). I have only ever seen it used on the spine side where obvious production flaws occur much more frequently.

Bindery tears and chips on the spine side are common on literally thousands of books. Marvel chipping is common but not on this generation of book. I have to say I disagree with the term used and would consider it a flaw but not by any means production related.

Having said all this I would like to thank Christian for a great tournament what little I got to see of it :cry: but I will definitely be here next year or if you run a fall classic (hint hint) I would be up for that too!

Thanks Christian!foryou.gif

Oh and in case there are a bunch of behind the scene people that I am not aware of, thanks to you too! You did a wonderful job!foryou.gif

Maybe someone can dig up that thread

Link

Round6-rnd6001.jpg

10 minutes?

Pfffffttttttt. Slacker.

You need these "tomatoe" books so that it weeds out contestents. Your supposed to have curveballs especially when there's a contest with over 100 people. Some people got it right, so obviously it's not an impossible book. Can't have 4 easy books, there would be countless ties and Galactus knows what else. We deal with it. Avengers book was screwy, got it! Noted, move along.

I appreciate all the hard work that was put into this! Contest is a blast, surprised I advanced.

I'm sure some people got them right because of a WAG. The only one that really made sense was the BB. Maybe it's photoshop and they're really PGX graded.

so I take it if you got a :signfunny: in your PM when you submitted grades, I'm assuming it was for the Avengers grade being way off of what it actually was?

I think he's just having fun with most people.

So basically anyone who gets a win in the next round is guaranteed a prize right?

pretty much

so I take it if you got a :signfunny: in your PM when you submitted grades, I'm assuming it was for the Avengers grade being way off of what it actually was?

:lol: Not sure what I was seeing on that AVE. Besides the missing chunk, the back cover corners and some other odds and ends.

AVE

B&B

PPSS

X-MEN

pretty much

:lol: Not sure what I was seeing on that AVE. Besides the missing chunk, the back cover corners and some other odds and ends.

AVE

B&B

PPSS

X-MEN

The more I looked at the corner of the AVE. the lower the grade got. :frustrated:

AVE 6.0

B&B 1.0

PPSS 9.4

X-MEN 8.0

I have to say, that Avengers book was a great choice for this contest. Love it! (thumbs u

See, some people love "tomato surprise" books - different strokes for different folks.

While everyone is entitles to their opinion, I have to disagree that these are "tomato surprise" books. This tournament has been very well planned and organized so I'm guessing(moon can correct me if I'm wrong) that these books were picked for the contest before they returned from CGC. I think that a book like the Ave is always going to be tough to grade which is why I would put it into a tournament like this. So whatever grade it comes back as is not the organizers fault which takes the tomato surprise theory out of play. They may have been just as surprised as us.

And if I'm wrong and they picked it as a purposefully tricky book, well kudos to those who guessed right.

Having a great time either way!