• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 March Madness Comic Grading Tournament - Round of 128

322 posts in this topic

I think this one threw almost everyone for a loop.

But that was the point, but it's also what I dislike most about these "contests".

Books chosen especially because they're a big "Tomato Surprise". :boo:

If you don't like the contest why did you enter? :baiting:

Everyone's in the same boat in guessing the grades... (shrug)

Well said and I agree with you rjpb! I personally would never consider that copy of Avengers a 9.2

Question: How many people in the world would pay CGC 9.2 GPA dollars for that book?

Answer: Zero

So it's not a 9.2 by any logical definition.

And who wouldn't absolutely freak out if that CGC 9.2 book arrived in the mail after purchasing it without seeing a scan of it first?

Not that I'd purchase a book without being able to see it, but I can see there being an expectation about the condition of a book when it is graded at 9.2. For me, I would assume that it would have to be nearly flawless with the exception of a corner ding or a small stress in the spine. That is just too severe for 9.2.

I have to say, that Avengers book was a great choice for this contest. Love it! (thumbs u

I went all incense and mind altering music when grading this round.

Avengers was a pristine book with a production flaw. I'd buy it all day long as a 4.5-6.0. But I felt I was being generous grading it a 9.0. I knew from my experience that CGC would be kind to it but I'd never buy a CGC 9.2 with a corner missing. I tried going CGC on the Xmen and was overly generous. I had a hulk 1 with similar defects so figured 1.5 on the B&B but I groot I take into account the key factor and I think the B&B was just an uglier book. Great read though :banana: PPSSM was a generous 9.8, I pegged it 9.6 but on the iPhone waffled at 9.8.

All comics look prettier on an iPhone :lol:

I think that is they key. Comicdey has experience, and that is the best learning tool. I have spend a lot of time reading and collecting comics, but not so much paying attention to grade. I hope become better as time goes and and do better in the contest next year. It was fun while it lasted!

If you don't like the contest why did you enter?

a) because I thought it would start in March (my late-April is busy!) and that I'd be eliminated by late-April.

b) because I didn't know the lengths they would go to provide "gotcha" tomato surprise books.

c) because I thought it might be fun.

But don't let me rain on anyone's parade, and while I don't like Kreskin freakshow :boo: books in a grading tournament, others probably love the crazy surprise and shock at seeing these ludicrous grades.

If you've done these grading contests before, you wouldn't actually be surprised. I guess experience with slabbed examples does count for something... (shrug)

Grading by scan is an inexact science...

If you don't like the contest why did you enter?

a) because I thought it would start in March (my late-April is busy!) and that I'd be eliminated by late-April.

b) because I didn't know the lengths they would go to provide "gotcha" tomato surprise books.

c) because I thought it might be fun.

But don't let me rain on anyone's parade, and while I don't like Kreskin freakshow :boo: books in a grading tournament, others probably love the crazy surprise and shock at seeing these ludicrous grades.

But you are raining on this parade.

Can't you see how valuable this contest is in terms of community building and pure enjoyment? Can't you see how much time and effort and expense Blow/Christian contributes to this contest - sending books to CGC, managing this thread, viewing all the pms and tabulating the results and generally answering questions? Can't you see that books like the 'tomato surprise books' exist in the wild and comparing your grade to CGC's grade is an opportunity to learn?

I know you're a pretty negative guy but please, try to appreciate how hard Christian works to put this contest on, how well run and enjoyable it is, and how negative and navel gazing your comments are. Please, try saying something kind and unqualified.

If you've done these grading contests before, you wouldn't actually be surprised.

I think I did the first one with Nik, and that was it, and I don't think he had any "tomato surprise" books like the Avengers 181.

There are always grades you disagree with, but this was more a leap of faith on whether CGC decided the missing chunk out of the book was production or damage. You guessed wrong (and with a scan, all you can do is guess) then you're toast.

I got the grader notes for the Avengers book:

Grader Notes: Right Top Front Cover Chip Out

ave_zpsdb0af742.jpg

I think it would make more sense if the book got a green label with that note on the label. But that's just my view. In the end, it's not a hidden defect so it doesn't make much of a difference.

I have to say, that Avengers book was a great choice for this contest. Love it! (thumbs u

See, some people love "tomato surprise" books - different strokes for different folks.

It's all in fun.

Best way to handle a curveball... don't miss the fastball.

See, some people love "tomato surprise" books - different strokes for different folks.

Enough people figured it out and If I could get close, anybody can with a little bit of effort and practice.

I could have been dead wrong too. If that corner hadn't been production related (whether you agree with CGCs stance on production flaws or not), my 9.0 guess would have been way, way wrong.

(shrug) Again, this is a "guess the CGC grade" contest. Not a "this is how I would have graded it contest"

For instance, the infamous Tomahawk book from the Nik memorial grading contest of a few years ago was another comic that flummoxed many, many people. As I recall, it was a 7.0 or thereabouts that looked more like a 5.0 or worse.

Maybe someone can dig up that thread

For instance, the infamous Tomahawk book from the Nik memorial grading contest of a few years ago was another comic that flummoxed many, many people. As I recall, it was a 7.0 or thereabouts that looked more like a 5.0 or worse.

Maybe someone can dig up that thread

Link

Round6-rnd6001.jpg

Yep, I remember that one. Statistically, almost everyone missed that one and there were very few bullseyes...

I remember that one too. Graded it a 5.0 myself.

And yet I just got back a 7.5 Cap 6 variant cover that looked like a 9.6. :pullhair:

Enough people figured it out and If I could get close, anybody can with a little bit of effort and practice.

I could have been dead wrong too. If that corner hadn't been production related (whether you agree with CGCs stance on production flaws or not), my 9.0 guess would have been way, way wrong.

(shrug) Again, this is a "guess the CGC grade" contest. Not a "this is how I would have graded it contest"

I told you with my initial comment...when I spoke out of turn of course doh! that book was a mind-f*@&! :censored::devil::o:insane:

You need these "tomatoe" books so that it weeds out contestents. Your supposed to have curveballs especially when there's a contest with over 100 people. Some people got it right, so obviously it's not an impossible book. Can't have 4 easy books, there would be countless ties and Galactus knows what else. We deal with it. Avengers book was screwy, got it! Noted, move along.

I appreciate all the hard work that was put into this! Contest is a blast, surprised I advanced.