• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Comments Regarding the JIM 83

390 posts in this topic

As of today the seller has agreed to compensate me for all this. He has offered to compensate me in a refund. He has stated that he will do the right thing regarding the JIM 83.

He hasn't read my PM yet from 3 days ago :whatev:

As of today the seller has agreed to compensate me for all this. He has offered to compensate me in a refund. He has stated that he will do the right thing regarding the JIM 83.

Just curious, but now that it's going to come back with a blue label, will you lose anything on the GPA of the slabbed book from what you bought it for raw? I guess you won't know until the grade comes back, but I wouldn't accept a refund for anything less than the price of the book now. I'm guessing the guy that sold it to you got pretty pissed that he didn't try to get the blue label. I'm sure he feels burned from buying a restored book and selling it raw, when he could have submitted and made more?

2c

You are way behind in your reading. The seller to Green Army Men bought it as a Purple Label, resubbed and got the Blue label. He then deslabbed it and sold it as a raw VF. In summary, he made the most money of all here.

What? I though Green Army Men bought it raw and subbed it to get the blue label? I'm confused, so comicsrlife bought it purple, cracked it, subbed it to get a blue, then cracked it again to sell it raw? hm

Another book in the run....

JusticeLeaugeofAmerica2Front_zpsa2ccd12c.jpg

JusticeLeagueofAmerica2Back_zps6bc98c01.jpg

Nice book. Back in the mid-80s Bob Overstreet told me a subscription copy could not grade higher than VG - no matter how nice it was. Most of us have always agreed with this.

So comicsrlife bought it purple, cracked it, subbed it to get a blue, then cracked it again to sell it raw? hm

Yes. Incredible isn't it ?!? What still befuddles me is why comisrlife told Spider-Dan he got the blue. Not a smart move at all.

Nice book. Back in the mid-80s Bob Overstreet told me a subscription copy could not grade higher than VG - no matter how nice it was. Most of us have always agreed with this.

Gary-

Don't you agree that it depends on how bad the book looks? If you have 2 copies of the same book and one book has a very light sub crease that looks like a 9.4 at first glance and another one has a heavy sub crease that looks like a 4.5, that the better looking one must grade higher as 10 out of 10 people would pick the 9.4 looking one, for the exact same price, every time?

I don't think you can just say that a certain defect, such as a sub crease, must not be allowed in a higher grade than 4.0, unless it's a very high grade like 8.0. The look of the book, when it comes to grading, is very important. Now a book with a missing back cover or a centerfold would be a 0.5 and I don't think anyone would disagree. For example, I would rather have a light sub crease on a high grade book, than a high grade book with ink smeared all over the cover, as that ink covers up the art where the light sub crease does not.

The Nova Scotia More Fun #54 comes to mind. I bought it off Jim Payette (who I, and many others, think is a very fair grader) in the mid 90's and he graded it a 7.0. The book had a non color breaking sub crease on the front cover, but looked like a 9.2. I had no problem with the grade he gave it (I was known as a very strict grader back "in the day") and paid 2X grade to guide for it. I sold it years later as a 7.0 or a 6.5 (can't remember) making a heavy profit and the collector I sold it to was thrilled to get the book and never said to me or even implied that the book was over graded.

Just my 2c

BTW....it was great seeing you at C2E2! I am looking forward to dinner with you and all our friends at the Chicago show. :headbang:

Gary-

Don't you agree that it depends on how bad the book looks? If you have 2 copies of the same book and one book has a very light sub crease that looks like a 9.4 at first glance and another one has a heavy sub crease that looks like a 4.5, that the better looking one must grade higher as 10 out of 10 people would pick the 9.4 looking one, for the exact same price, every time?

I don't think you can just say that a certain defect, such as a sub crease, must not be allowed in a higher grade than 4.0, unless it's a very high grade like 8.0. The look of the book, when it comes to grading, is very important. Now a book with a missing back cover or a centerfold would be a 0.5 and I don't think anyone would disagree. For example, I would rather have a light sub crease on a high grade book, than a high grade book with ink smeared all over the cover, as that ink covers up the art where the light sub crease does not.

The Nova Scotia More Fun #54 comes to mind. I bought it off Jim Payette (who I, and many others, think is a very fair grader) in the mid 90's and he graded it a 7.0. The book had a non color breaking sub crease on the front cover, but looked like a 9.2. I had no problem with the grade he gave it (I was known as a very strict grader back "in the day") and paid 2X grade to guide for it. I sold it years later as a 7.0 or a 6.5 (can't remember) making a heavy profit and the collector I sold it to was thrilled to get the book and never said to me or even implied that the book was over graded.

Just my 2c

BTW....it was great seeing you at C2E2! I am looking forward to dinner with you and all our friends at the Chicago show. :headbang:

Steve. :hi:

My own interpretation has also been that sub-creases are only allowed within the VG range, although to me that means that VG+ (4.5) can be a valid grade. My take would be that a light sub-crease would be hitting that sort of mark (dependent upon the absence of other damage, obviously), whereas a heavy-duty, god-awful looking heavy fold would be lower, VG or VG-.

It's a defect - IMHO and also in Overstreet's - that has always had a 'ceiling'. like a popped staple, or water damage. (thumbs u

Equally confusing was... that the better looking one must grade higher as 10 out of 10 people would pick the 9.4 looking one, for the exact same price, every time?

Is grading tied to purchasing behaviors? Or "independent" of retailing influences?

'Only what's in front of you' vs. 'based on consumer reactions'.

??? Sometimes it seems grading is just... unknowable. Like a language you can never learn.

Equally confusing was... that the better looking one must grade higher as 10 out of 10 people would pick the 9.4 looking one, for the exact same price, every time?

Is grading tied to purchasing behaviors? Or "independent" of retailing influences?

"Only what's in front of you" vs. "based on how buyer's react".

??? Sometimes it seems grading is just... unknowable. Like a language you can never learn.

It makes sense to me. If you have a book with a sub crease plus 9 other defects that grades 4.0, shouldn't a book with a sub crease and no other defects grade higher?

It makes sense to me. If you have a book with a sub crease plus 9 other defects that grades 4.0, shouldn't a book with a sub crease and no other defects grade higher?

Isn't that why they invented the Qualified label? So a higher grade can be given and an unusual defect highlighted?

Isn't that why they invented the Qualified label? So a higher grade can be given and an unusual defect highlighted?

I've always hated the qualified label. Grade the book, not what it would be if it didn't have a particular defect.

Gary-

Just my 2c

"non color breaking" should be a key distinction in a discussion of how any crease affects a grade.