• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manipulation Record Expungement?

196 posts in this topic

Looking for several recent threads detailing new manipulation practices released upon the hobby.

Does anyone know what happened to these threads...I can't seem to find them?

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

Insane press and flip Avengers 1

hm

I presume these could be retrieved from the matrix by the more tech savy among us. Maybe hard copies of these threads could be produced for distribution.

MasterChief,

I know how to view the threads, not sure if that's what you are asking.

I can't seem to view them.

When I click the links I'm getting a UBB error, which states "Access Denied".

Any idea what gives? (shrug)

Because the threads were locked and then later deleted. The link is still there, but as you can see, there is no substance to them.

IDK what MediumLover gets to see, however.

-slym

Are you certain they were locked? I don't remember them getting locked.

I know the Cole Schave thread was never locked.

Many, if not all pages of those threads are accessible

If you're thinking Google's cache feature, you'd be lucky to get one page from each of those threads. If you're thinking something entirely different, post it. The search feature never really worked, and now it's completely useless.

That Avengers 1 thread was very good and informative... it's too bad that information has been removed / erased.

+1

If the intent was to scrub this information, the people behind the decision are a disgrace to the hobby. Shame.

Google the thread title and choose "cached"from the drop down box.

You can only see the cached page.

I tried looking for the cached insane press and flip avengers thread

First time I tried it I was able to bring up page one and then page two. I had to search for each page separately. Now when I try it, it's bringing me to page 26 and won't let me see any other page in the thread.

???

Sadly, it's not unusual for CGC to delete threads that may show CGC is a negative light.

There was once a great Classic CGC Threads which listed Classic threads from this Board.

If you look through the linked thread, most of the controversial threads have disappeared.

Google's/Yahoo's algorithm which stores copies of web pages never stores pages using the "fpart=all" variable - which represents the "all" link at the end of trailing page links. This makes it impossible to page through a forum thread page-by-page using the cache feature.

Sadly, it's not unusual for CGC to delete threads that may show CGC is a negative light.

There was once a great Classic CGC Threads which listed Classic threads from this Board.

If you look through the linked thread, most of the controversial threads have disappeared.

Historically, you're right, there is precedence. However the fact CGC acknowledged the problems with RSR themselves through a company statement on their website makes that announcement, the claims they made to address the seriousness of the problem disingenuous, and the coordinated removal of all points of origin/reference for their discovery, troubling.

Evidently, the online feedback cycle which made it possible for these discoveries, the time/thought that went into the public service/awareness aspects, and the way this information trickles external to these boards through crowd sourcing can't be conflicted with corporate's mandate to make money.

Simply put, whoever decided these pages needed to be inaccessible/purged only cares about saving face, and doesn't care about the hobby.

I noticed this recently as well. I tried to find the Cole Shave thread through the post I made in it. My post count is X, but the number of posts in my post history is X-1. The one missing post is from the Cole Shave thread. If the thread is not deleted, it is doing a pretty good imitation of being deleted. I've only entered the CGC part of the hobby in 2013. I will tell you it is very hard to be new collector and keep up with all the shenanigans in this hobby. Makes a person not want to be part of the hobby...

I realise that this is CGC's message board and they are entitled to do what they like with it.

However, the fact that they appear to have selectively removed many threads that contained information that could put them in a bad light actually makes them look worse in my eyes than the information that was in the threads.

I noticed this recently as well. I tried to find the Cole Shave thread through the post I made in it. My post count is X, but the number of posts in my post history is X-1. The one missing post is from the Cole Shave thread. If the thread is not deleted, it is doing a pretty good imitation of being deleted. I've only entered the CGC part of the hobby in 2013. I will tell you it is very hard to be new collector and keep up with all the shenanigans in this hobby. Makes a person not want to be part of the hobby...

It makes a person not want to be a part of the Third Party Grading portion of the hobby. I'm beginning to focus more on ungraded books...

It makes a person not want to be a part of the Third Party Grading portion of the hobby. I'm beginning to focus more on ungraded books...

Yup, higher grade raw and mid grade readers :cloud9:

:o

What a Revoltin' Development! :sumo:

I started the Spine Realignment Therapy thread to educate folks (including CGC since they obviously didn't know what Mark Wilson, et al were pulling over on them) and protect the consumer. I suspect the JIM 83 "it's trimmed...it's not trimmed...it's a 6.0...no, it's a 7.0...no, it's a 6.0" thread made CGC sensitive to the perception that they may not know what they're doing anymore, so they swept those other threads/issues under the rug and into the abyss of the interwebs. Unfortunately, those all old threads demonstrated that the JIM 83 fiasco was not an isolated incident, but rather, illustrative of a pattern of the shysters always being one step ahead of the graders at CGC. Oh well, I hope Mark Zaid can get them to re-instate those informative threads. :wishluck:

That is what I meant. I was on a tear buying up CGC books I wanted to hold for a long time for about 6 months in 2013 (ASM #1, FF #1, Avengers #1, high grade bronze and minor key silver). By the end of the year I was already selling some. I am selling more now and will probably eventually unload nearly all of them. I am much happier owning raw books.