• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

It's a shame that books with fanned pages will be outcast. I received a batch 8 raw mid grade books. None pressed and the x-men 10 id put around a FN/FN+ has fanned pages on front and back due to a shrunken cover. I first had to make sure it wasn't trimmed and it wasn't, cover cut matched the interior cut. So this does happen naturally.

It's a shame that books with fanned pages will be outcast. I received a batch 8 raw mid grade books. None pressed and the x-men 10 id put around a FN/FN+ has fanned pages on front and back due to a shrunken cover. I first had to make sure it wasn't trimmed and it wasn't, cover cut matched the interior cut. So this does happen naturally.

Can we see a scan or two? They may look natural, unlike the RSRed Hulk #1.

It is actually not a RSR, back cover looks like the front.

Seriously? So not only shrunken, but a more brazen XL shrinking? Nice. :facepalm:

I would draw a sharp distinction between books where the paper peaks out at the top of the right side and then angles inwards towards no exposure at the bottom and books where there is an abnormal display of paper all down the right side.

The former is natural aging. the latter is not. :sumo:

I might also add that books that have the interior pages visible above the right of the top edge of the cover appear manipulated.

WOW, man this is one SWEET hulk 1

hulk1.jpg

It's too bad about that top label starting to peel up on one end. :baiting:

This cannot be natural. I'm sure it used to be a perfectly attractive 6.0 or 6.5, but now you can buy it ugly for a few more thousand bucks.

Edit: that spot between the l and the k in the title should be distinctive enough to fingerprint the book to find it in its former slab (if there was one).

Seriously? So not only shrunken, but a more brazen XL shrinking? Nice. :facepalm:

As a tangential question, am I the only one on the boards that looks at ComicConnects auction previews? hm

As a tangential question, am I the only one on the boards that looks at ComicConnects auction previews? hm

I haven't checked them out more than maybe once a long time ago. I've only bought a handful of books from them, mostly raw.

Does the Hulk have the same serial number, and do we know when it was graded? I'm on my phone so am loathe to look it up.

Yep, another 1197 victim. :(

The Hulk was graded on 8/10/2013. CGC also wanted $15 for the grader notes, I thought it was $5 for them?

The cost of Grader's notes depends on which tier they were submitted. This sounds like an onsite submission in Chicago, probably a walkthru. All these Shave looking books seemed to have been submitted from this same time period. Matt must have bought a new, industrial strength press. :devil:

No, I saw the same book in their preview. What concerned me was that it appears to come from a larger collection- Moondog's Dr. Fate Collection, and I have to wonder a couple of things

1) is this the same Moondog that is on the boards from Chicago? If so, is this his consignment? (I'm not really interested in maligning his books for sale, just curious)

2) Did this happen when Moondog had the book, before he owned it, or in the process of submission to ComicConnect?

3) If during the submission and grading for the ComicConnect, were most of the books in that collection given similar treatment (it doesn't really look like this is the case)?

Because there is an AF 15 with the 1197 serial number that looks funky but you might not notice it due to Marvel chipping. BTW, this is all under the assumption that some secondary process was applied to the book at some time. I know some people contend that this happens naturally (although I don't think anywhere near this much transformation is likely).

In response to the people that think this is not conservation / restoration / damage, I would like to point out the distinction that pressing is different because nothing is added so it isn't some type of restoration doesn't hold up. For as long as I can remember, if a book had a severe spine roll (natural phenomena from the old days of keeping comics in stacks), realigning the spine via pressing was always considered restoration. As it is. Period (We should really mix up the punctuation around here, but I'm following a trend previously established).

Is it good restoration? Hell, yeah. But it's still restoration. If a corner was bent a little and then pushed back in place, do I care? No, but if there was a book length fold or half a dozen non-color breaking spine stresses that were smashed out and in the process the staples are stressed and the pulp of the body is squished out a little, do I care? Yes, and I think everyone else here does too, whether they want to acknowledge it or not. Because I don't think any body that loves comics wants them looking like this. No matter how much you like your books flat. ;):foryou: Mr. Bedrock.

WOW, man this is one SWEET hulk 1

hulk1.jpg

It's too bad about that top label starting to peel up on one end. :baiting:

This cannot be natural. I'm sure it used to be a perfectly attractive 6.0 or 6.5, but now you can buy it ugly for a few more thousand bucks.

Edit: that spot between the l and the k in the title should be distinctive enough to fingerprint the book to find it in its former slab (if there was one).

+1. Book looks like