• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

You guys would enjoy comics a lot more if you would get out of this stupid thread, and go buy some comic books. There are about 12 billion out there that haven't been shrunk....yet.

I actually agree with you. This thread has run it's course. Other than a little awareness, we accomplished nothing. I give CGC kudos for allowing us to discuss, without shutting us down. CGC probably figured this 'controversy' would fade of it's own accord anyway and indeed it did. :censored:

You guys would enjoy comics a lot more if you would get out of this stupid thread, and go buy some comic books. There are about 12 billion out there that haven't been shrunk....yet.

I actually agree with you. This thread has run it's course. Other than a little awareness, we accomplished nothing. I give CGC kudos for allowing us to discuss, without shutting us down. CGC probably figured this 'controversy' would fade of it's own accord anyway and indeed it did. :censored:

Hopefully not without permanent consequences.

I for one will be buying more raw books and fewer slabbed books.

The label does not mean what it used to.

The label does not mean what I, in my naïveté, used to believe it did.

An update from CCS/CGC on Costanza pressing: http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=2335&utm_source=enews&utm_medium=enews&utm_campaign=CGC_enews_10_2013&spMailingID=7124325&spUserID=MTI4MzA5MDEzNDMS1&spJobID=92148307&spReportId=OTIxNDgzMDcS1

At least they publically recognize the problem. The brief article claims CGC will downgrade for excessive cover shrinkage, but until I see examples of this and consistency in downgrading for it I will remain skeptical.

Interesting, thanks for the link. (thumbs u

It also claims that the Costanza effect books may be corrected with a light pressing.

So George Costanza was right all along.

I fully understand wanting to protect your hobby, but this guys statement is true.

lol, if you think raw books are rife with LESS problems than slabbed, you're in for some mighty interesting experiences. Just deal with people you trust and 99% of your problems should be moot. Should you happen upon a clunker of a purchase, having dealt with someone you respect and have a business relationship with, should make a return very easy.

(Much applause for Dale!)

:)

Acknowledging the wit of the statement itself, the real applause should go out to Schmell, CCS, and CGC, They are the clear winners. They have a system that can't be stopped. I guess it's get out of the way or be assimilated.

(Much applause for Dale!)

:)

Acknowledging the wit of the statement itself, the real applause should go out to Schmell, CCS, and CGC, They are the clear winners. They have a system that can't be stopped. I guess it's get out of the way or be assimilated.

Yeah, I think this thread has unfortunately passed its "relevant by" date. Especially with the RR Superman #1 controversy set to take over CG for the time being.

lol, if you think raw books are rife with LESS problems than slabbed, you're in for some mighty interesting experiences. Just deal with people you trust and 99% of your problems should be moot. Should you happen upon a clunker of a purchase, having dealt with someone you respect and have a business relationship with, should make a return very easy.

One thing's for sure, I need to get a lot better at detecting restoration. (I've even though about buying some inexpensive PLOD books so I can study some of the professional restoration up close and personal.)

I'm just curious, is there really code of silence among pressers. I think if you do good work, you would be proud to say I pressed that. I've asked sellers before, usually because I was impressed with the work, who did their pressing and was told they could not say. I don't get it. Is it any different than asking where they bought it from ? All the big auction houses put stickers on the books. What's the big deal ?

You may have come up with something here. I could see a sticker or certificate that says this comic has been proudly pressed by fill in the blank.

hm

So start one of your mega sales threads already, and help us take our minds off our troubles. :sumo:

How did this practice ever take hold in the first place?

Coins.

Google up the Forbes article on James Halperin of Heritage to begin educating yourself on how things came to be. He championed the crack-out-game long before figuring out comics could be 'coined' too and investing in CGC.

This book goes into great detail about the crack out game.

Highly recommended. You don`t have to be a coinee to get some knowledge from it. It applies to comics and baseball cards as well.

9780375723056_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg

This book goes into great detail about the crack out game.

Highly recommended. You don`t have to be a coinee to get some knowledge from it. It applies to comics and baseball cards as well.

9780375723056_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg

Here's a lengthy blog article by that author:

Scott A. Travers: GET CRACKING ON ‘CRACK-OUTS’

"The “crack-out game” was spawned by the Grading Revolution of the late 1980s, when encapsulation – or “slabbing” – of rare coins first became a force for dealers and collectors to reckon with. "

This seems relevant to comics...

"The crack-out game has gotten tougher and it would be a serious mistake to think that you can get a coin upgraded with little or no trouble and make yourself a quick return of several thousand dollars. For one thing, coin “doctoring” is much more prevalent today, so doctored coins – those artificially enhanced to look better than they really are – turn up in coin holders more frequently than in the early days of certified grading. Then, when such coins are removed from their holders and examined more closely, the coins may be not only downgraded but no-graded."

And, for us tinfoil types ...

"Jim Halperin is one of the most successful dealers in the nation at getting coins upgraded. He and Steve Ivy, his fellow co-chairman of the board at Heritage, together own 24.254% of non-voting NGC stock. (That number is current as of February 15, 2005.)"

You really probably have better things to do than to put on a tinfoil hat re: Jim Halperin. He's a nice guy -- met him just once and he couldn't have been more polite, though I was but a face in the crowd that recognized him and walked up to introduce myself.

Lord help the comic board if they get it into their heads to try and detect all the things that may or may not have been done to a comic, in the way that PCGS (and presumably, NGC too) try for coins. For one thing, the PCGS "sniffer", meant to microscopically/chemically detect the presence of certain "enhancing" chemicals that are invisible to the eye at the type of encapsulation. Been around there for several years now, but it's not used on every submission -- I believe just at a particular service level.

One thing's for sure, I need to get a lot better at detecting restoration. (I've even though about buying some inexpensive PLOD books so I can study some of the professional restoration up close and personal.)

There's an art to it -- sometimes easy to spot, sometimes very difficult indeed. Ask the advice of dealers you trust, get a blacklight for starters, and getting some PLODs to learn from, doesn't sound like a bad approach at all.

[

CGC Statement

Posted on 10/8/2013

.....CGC will treat excessive shrinkage similar to a manufacturing defect and downgrade accordingly. In some cases, shrinkage can be minimized or corrected with a light pressing.

It seems that all the concerns expressed in the thread regarding cover shrinkage have been disregarded, as there is minimal if any downgrade for manufacturing defects, other than at nosebleed levels.

I also can not imagine that actual shrinkage as evidenced in the Cole Schave collection can be minimized or corrected with a light pressing. The paper shrunk in one direction because the inherent strain in the coverstock from the manufacturing process was relaxed when it was overhydrated in the pressing process. Once that strain is released, you are not going to get it back.