• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

You really probably have better things to do than to put on a tinfoil hat re: Jim Halperin. He's a nice guy -- met him just once and he couldn't have been more polite, though I was but a face in the crowd that recognized him and walked up to introduce myself.

Lord help the comic board if they get it into their heads to try and detect all the things that may or may not have been done to a comic, in the way that PCGS (and presumably, NGC too) try for coins. For one thing, the PCGS "sniffer", meant to microscopically/chemically detect the presence of certain "enhancing" chemicals that are invisible to the eye at the type of encapsulation. Been around there for several years now, but it's not used on every submission -- I believe just at a particular service level.

It will get there. The reason why it hasn`t caught up to coins and cards is because certified coins and cards have been around longer. The comic certified newbs are getting smarter, and now are starting to figure it all out just like the coin and card collectors did. 2c

You really probably have better things to do than to put on a tinfoil hat re: Jim Halperin. He's a nice guy -- met him just once and he couldn't have been more polite, though I was but a face in the crowd that recognized him and walked up to introduce myself.

Lord help the comic board if they get it into their heads to try and detect all the things that may or may not have been done to a comic, in the way that PCGS (and presumably, NGC too) try for coins. For one thing, the PCGS "sniffer", meant to microscopically/chemically detect the presence of certain "enhancing" chemicals that are invisible to the eye at the type of encapsulation. Been around there for several years now, but it's not used on every submission -- I believe just at a particular service level.

It will get there. The reason why it hasn`t caught up to coins and cards is because certified coins and cards have been around longer. The comic certified newbs are getting smarter, and now are starting to figure it all out just like the coin and card collectors did. 2c

One never knows, but then, it was discussed before whether or not there was any kind of chemical or residual "signature" in evidence after a press, particularly anything left behind by release paper. At least at present, nada that's detectable. In the future, perhaps, but it might also be indistinguishable chemically from an original-owner book known not to have been pressed. :)

One never knows, but then, it was discussed before whether or not there was any kind of chemical or residual "signature" in evidence after a press, particularly anything left behind by release paper. At least at present, nada that's detectable. In the future, perhaps, but it might also be indistinguishable chemically from an original-owner book known not to have been pressed. :)

It should make the next upcoming years very interesting to see how it all plays out. ;)

[
CGC Statement

Posted on 10/8/2013

.....CGC will treat excessive shrinkage similar to a manufacturing defect and downgrade accordingly. In some cases, shrinkage can be minimized or corrected with a light pressing.

It seems that all the concerns expressed in the thread regarding cover shrinkage have been disregarded, as there is minimal if any downgrade for manufacturing defects, other than at nosebleed levels.

I also can not imagine that actual shrinkage as evidenced in the Cole Schave collection can be minimized or corrected with a light pressing. The paper shrunk in one direction because the inherent strain in the coverstock from the manufacturing process was relaxed when it was overhydrated in the pressing process. Once that strain is released, you are not going to get it back.

I'm not worried about all these CGC/CCS shenanigans getting a free pass. Soon enough their actions will be questioned by an authority they are unable to silence or ignore. Conflicts of interest are no joke. They seem to want to discover that the hard way.

it probably would have been more appropriate if I said "I wouldn't hold my breath".

you know, I am going to have to agree with you. I see the net effect of this whole thread being a whole lot of nothing. Book tinkers will keep tinkering, finding the next way to squeeze out that extra 0.2 while staying in a blue label, spin doctors will keep touting you can't definitively proof anything and unless you saw it shrink with your own eyes and captured it on video, otherwise it was more likely caused by SCSS (Spontaneous Cover Shrinking Syndrome) and had nothing to do with being pressed.

[
CGC Statement

Posted on 10/8/2013

.....CGC will treat excessive shrinkage similar to a manufacturing defect and downgrade accordingly. In some cases, shrinkage can be minimized or corrected with a light pressing.

It seems that all the concerns expressed in the thread regarding cover shrinkage have been disregarded, as there is minimal if any downgrade for manufacturing defects, other than at nosebleed levels.

I also can not imagine that actual shrinkage as evidenced in the Cole Schave collection can be minimized or corrected with a light pressing. The paper shrunk in one direction because the inherent strain in the coverstock from the manufacturing process was relaxed when it was overhydrated in the pressing process. Once that strain is released, you are not going to get it back.

I'm not worried about all these CGC/CCS shenanigans getting a free pass. Soon enough their actions will be questioned by an authority they are unable to silence or ignore. Conflicts of interest are no joke. They seem to want to discover that the hard way.

lol

It should make the next upcoming years very interesting to see how it all plays out. ;)

I agree!

You guys would enjoy comics a lot more if you would get out of this stupid thread, and go buy some comic books. There are about 12 billion out there that haven't been shrunk....yet.

So start one of your mega sales threads already, and help us take our minds off our troubles. :sumo:

Patience, young one. Good things come to those who wait.

it probably would have been more appropriate if I said "I wouldn't hold my breath".

you know, I am going to have to agree with you. I see the net effect of this whole thread being a whole lot of nothing. Book tinkers will keep tinkering, finding the next way to squeeze out that extra 0.2 while staying in a blue label, spin doctors will keep touting you can't definitively proof anything and unless you saw it shrink with your own eyes and captured it on video, otherwise it was more likely caused by SCSS (Spontaneous Cover Shrinking Syndrome) and had nothing to do with being pressed.

I will speak with my money. I will not buy a book that looks like this, if CGC wants to consider this like a manufacturing defect, shame on them. But this is not acceptable, the books are ugly and should be shunned.

I will speak with my money. I will not buy a book that looks like this, if CGC wants to consider this like a manufacturing defect, shame on them. But this is not acceptable, the books are ugly and should be shunned.

Ditto, but I probably wouldn't have bought a book that looked like this before this fiasco either. More globally, my faith in CGC has been diminished by this whole episode as the conflict of interest we all feared when CGC started doing in-house pressing has materialized. You just don't know what the heck a book has been subjected to these days...but when CGC starts labeling their own pre-processed books, at least we'll have the information needed to make an informed decision.

Ditto, but I probably wouldn't have bought a book that looked like this before this fiasco either. More globally, my faith in CGC has been diminished by this whole episode as the conflict of interest we all feared when CGC started doing in-house pressing has materialized. You just don't know what the heck a book has been subjected to these days...but when CGC starts labeling their own pre-processed books, at least we'll have the information needed to make an informed decision.

If the exact same books had appeared in PGX holders and boardies' connect-the-dots had led back to Ryan Elliott, there's little doubt how fast, fierce and universal the condemnation would've been.

Like that old ad campaign: "The Difference is CGC".

You guys would enjoy comics a lot more if you would get out of this stupid thread, and go buy some comic books. There are about 12 billion out there that haven't been shrunk....yet.

So start one of your mega sales threads already, and help us take our minds off our troubles. :sumo:

Patience, young one. Good things come to those who wait.

(thumbs u

If the exact same books had appeared in PGX holders and boardies' connect-the-dots had led back to Ryan Elliott, there's little doubt how fast, fierce and universal the condemnation would've been.

This. A thousand times, this.

Defects Caused By Improper Pressing: Cover Shrinkage

Looks like the CGC did something about this... they had an intern write two paragraphs lol

I think these words from the article have already been posted in this thread.

"Cover shrinkage can occur from excessive humidity or multiple pressings, causing the cover to shrink side to side. Silver Age Marvels, particularly between 1960 and 1968, are most susceptible due to the poor quality of printing used at that time. The amount of shrinkage varies depending on several factors, such as what month the book is from, how it was stored during its life and the extent of pressing it received. Shrinkage can also occur naturally over time with no pressing involved."

I really like the last sentence best.

This. A thousand times, this.

Ryan Elliott has no friends.

Defects Caused By Improper Pressing: Cover Shrinkage

Looks like the CGC did something about this... they had an intern write two paragraphs lol

I think these words from the article have already been posted in this thread.

"Cover shrinkage can occur from excessive humidity or multiple pressings, causing the cover to shrink side to side. Silver Age Marvels, particularly between 1960 and 1968, are most susceptible due to the poor quality of printing used at that time. The amount of shrinkage varies depending on several factors, such as what month the book is from, how it was stored during its life and the extent of pressing it received. Shrinkage can also occur naturally over time with no pressing involved."

I really like the last sentence best.

It's pretty clear they took their cues more from this thread than from experience.