• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

this isnt worse than the Avengers. they grade the book before their eyes. Its a 9.0 with tape. With the Avengers situation they somehow missed the color breaks on the spine "apex" OFF they didnt know or care that it was a book they graded before (which has always been the case); Avengers was a misgrade and hopefully will be back in a 7,8 or 8.0 holder someday.

This thread has officially made CGC look worse than any other thread i've ever seen. These books posted make it seem like they are on PGX level when it comes to consistency of grading imo.

Maybe if we are lucky, plitch can regale us with the graders notes of another book where the grade is obvious in another attempt to deflect answering why all these posted examples received the GIFT grades they've gotten :wishluck:

This thread has officially made CGC look worse than any other thread i've ever seen. These books posted make it seem like they are on PGX level when it comes to consistency of grading imo.

Maybe if we are lucky, plitch can regale us with the graders notes of another book where the grade is obvious in another attempt to deflect answering why all these posted examples received the GIFT grades they've gotten :wishluck:

The OFF #1 looks like an 8.5.

The MMC #77 looks like a 9.0.

Pray tell how these are gift grades?

CGC grades the book that's right in front of them - it seems like you want them to grade a book based on how it looked at some point in the past?

CGC grades the book that's right in front of them - it seems like you want them to grade a book based on how it looked at some point in the past?

A wicked top bindery chip, a LOT of scraping at the bottom spine and a detached staple taped together is a 8.5???

oh, And the Avengers 1 looks like a 9.2 i presume?

this isnt worse than the Avengers. they grade the book before their eyes. Its a 9.0 with tape. With the Avengers situation they somehow missed the color breaks on the spine "apex" OFF they didnt know or care that it was a book they graded before (which has always been the case); Avengers was a misgrade and hopefully will be back in a 7,8 or 8.0 holder someday.

So you're ok with tape on an 8.5??? And you don't think that tape under a staple is there to fix a defect? Why else would it be there?

And there are enty of River Citys with pen markings.

A wicked top bindery chip, a LOT of scraping at the bottom spine and a detached staple taped together is a 8.5???

The top staple was obviously "fixed" with the tape ... heck, it could have been pushed back in through the paper & re-attached for all we know. And, yes, the book looks every bit an 8.5/9.0 through the slab - please don't pretend otherwise.

Are you going to argue that the MMC #77 doesn't look like a solid GA 9.0? :screwy:

The top staple was obviously "fixed" with the tape ... heck, it could have been pushed back in through the paper & re-attached for all we know. And, yes, the book looks every bit an 8.5/9.0 through the slab - please don't pretend otherwise.

I'm not but please dont pretend that with the raw book in hand, CGC cant tell the top staple was detached regardless if there is tape there or not. Theres enough faults that i can see thru the slab to knock it down to 8.5ish range not even taking into account the top staple.

God only knows whats been moved to the back cover hidden from CGC's view. Clearly at least a LARGE chunk of missing color at the bottom of the spine since it has mysteriously disappeared from the front cover in the GLOD scan hm

The River City copy of Our Army At War #1 was offered for sale by Paratrooper on the CGC boards in February 2012 as part of his "Out Of The Army Sale".

It failed to sale and was moved to eBay. The book eventually sold to eBay member "unlisted182" in late February early April.

The copy was regraded on July 2, 2012, and has since resurfaced on both eBay and Comic Link, less its original label color, certification grade and pedigree designation.

The book is currently offered for sale by collectors_comics on eBay.

OFF-1_FC_compare1.jpg

OFF-1_FC_compare2.jpg

OFF-1_FC_compare3.jpg

OFF-1_FC_compare4.jpg

eBay: Our Fighting Forces #1 DC 1954 CGC 8.5 VF+ 2nd HIGHEST GRADE - only 2 at 9.0!!!

Comic Link: OUR FIGHTING FORCES #1

How the F could CGC miss this or grade it an 8.5? Or for that matter miss the telltale River City marking? This is on a level with PGX. Seriously, look at the mistakes we've crucified PGX for over the years. This is no worse.

i think it's time for me to exit the cgc graded part of the hobby soon and enjoy low grade raw beaters.

The more I think about it, this is worse than PGX. PGX is incompetent, so despite their egregious flaws, to a degree it's excusable since they really don't know what they're doing. CGC, on the other hand (in this case in particular) is willfully negligent. For one thing, there's no way an 8.5 has tape. They also had to overlook the fact that the tape is at the staple, which is an obvious attempt to cover a defect that should have been incorporated into the grade. Lastly, they overlooked the River City markings, which are as obvious as any other pedigree stamp. Anyone with half a clue about pedigrees should have instantly recognized this.

Nice to see my collection getting defiled like this :(

I agree with the grade also except for the detached top staple. If they're going to count that the tape somehow fixed the detached staple, then it's restored. Can't have it both ways--either the tape restored the book, or it didn't. I certainly don't think the tape counts as restoration for re-attaching a staple, but it certainly also shouldn't cause the detached staple to not count.

can someone explain how that BIG piece of missing color at the bottom of the spine disappeared???

The spine wasnt moved NEARLY enough to make that whole piece of missing color move to the spine and back. Most of it is somehow gone now. What happened to it??? ???

I agree with the grade also except for the detached top staple. If they're going to count that the tape somehow fixed the detached staple, then it's restored. Can't have it both ways--either the tape restored the book, or it didn't. I certainly don't think the tape counts as restoration for re-attaching a staple, but it certainly also shouldn't cause the detached staple to not count.

I completely agree - I think CGC's stance on tape is ridiculous :thumbsup:

I'm not but please dont pretend that with the raw book in hand, CGC cant tell the top staple was detached regardless if there is tape there or not. Theres enough faults that i can see thru the slab to knock it down to 8.5ish range not even taking into account the top staple.

God only knows whats been moved to the back cover hidden from CGC's view. Clearly at least a LARGE chunk of missing color at the bottom of the spine since it has mysteriously disappeared from the front cover in the GLOD scan hm

If the staple has been pushed back in & covered with tape, it's no longer detached :shrug:

Again, are you expecting CGC to grade a book based on what it looked in the past or how it actually looks when it's sitting on their desk?

Maybe its the scan but the 8.5 GLOD scan, the top staple looks like the "detach" is not going to be completely fixed to the point where it doesnt knock down the grade with a piece of tape inside the cover (shrug)

Again though, can someone explain what happened to the color loss at the bottom of the spine???

You can tell the spine was shifted a VERY small amount, not even 1/16th of an inch. The piece of color loss is MUCH larger than the amount the spine was shifted but is now completely gone.

Where did it go cus its not possible that was all shifted to the spine or back cover ???

The River City copy of Our Army At War #1 was offered for sale by Paratrooper on the CGC boards in February 2012 as part of his "Out Of The Army Sale".

It failed to sale and was moved to eBay. The book eventually sold to eBay member "unlisted182" in late February early April.

The copy was regraded on July 2, 2012, and has since resurfaced on both eBay and Comic Link, less its original label color, certification grade and pedigree designation.

The book is currently offered for sale by collectors_comics on eBay.

OFF-1_FC_compare1.jpg

OFF-1_FC_compare2.jpg

OFF-1_FC_compare3.jpg

OFF-1_FC_compare4.jpg

eBay: Our Fighting Forces #1 DC 1954 CGC 8.5 VF+ 2nd HIGHEST GRADE - only 2 at 9.0!!!

Comic Link: OUR FIGHTING FORCES #1

How the F could CGC miss this or grade it an 8.5? Or for that matter miss the telltale River City marking? This is on a level with PGX. Seriously, look at the mistakes we've crucified PGX for over the years. This is no worse.

i think it's time for me to exit the cgc graded part of the hobby soon and enjoy low grade raw beaters.

The more I think about it, this is worse than PGX. PGX is incompetent, so despite their egregious flaws, to a degree it's excusable since they really don't know what they're doing. CGC, on the other hand (in this case in particular) is willfully negligent. For one thing, there's no way an 8.5 has tape. They also had to overlook the fact that the tape is at the staple, which is an obvious attempt to cover a defect that should have been incorporated into the grade. Lastly, they overlooked the River City markings, which are as obvious as any other pedigree stamp. Anyone with half a clue about pedigrees should have instantly recognized this.

Nice to see my collection getting defiled like this :(

I feel for you man :(

Mark, I asked a week or two ago about the books this seller is sending in. Here's a copy and paste of that question which includes your quote for context:

The submitter has agreed to send several books from recent submissions back to CGC for re-evaluation. Based on a statement from the submitter, this is expected to occur by on or before March 27, 2013. CGC will assume the cost of shipping and re-holdering, if needed.

Thanks for the update Mark.

It appears the smoking gun has already begun to divide people's views on this manipulative activity, so I'm wondering if any of the books the submitter agreed to send are books which MasterChief has provided before/after scans to prove the alterations?

Here's a summary of MasterChief's post - if I've missed any please feel free to add:

Batman 1

Action Comics 27

Captain America Comics 13

More Fun 59

Young Allies 1

Avengers 1 *hopefully the submitter listens to the request and submits this.

No one can explain what happened to that color loss? ???

I know you don't agree, but it looks to me that the cover was shifted enough to push that color loss onto the spine.

Really???

If you look at the DC circle at the top, you can see it was shifted a pretty small amount. Also, if you look at the cracks in the broken headlight halfway down the cover, you can then scroll down to the color loss. The color loss is directly under one of the cracks in the headlight on the 8.5 but on the 9.0, under that same crack the color loss is gone now??? (shrug)