• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

No one can explain what happened to that color loss? ???

It got shifted to the back.

What I'm examining is how that little spine tick just above the lower bottom colour scrape on Troopers Qualified label 9.0 appears to be bigger and more pronounced on the blue label 8.5.

This is the second book where before and after pics seem to reveal how defects shifted to the back cover appear to be worse than before the shift occurred.

Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing this?

Mark, I asked a week or two ago about the books this seller is sending in. Here's a copy and paste of that question which includes your quote for context:

The submitter has agreed to send several books from recent submissions back to CGC for re-evaluation. Based on a statement from the submitter, this is expected to occur by on or before March 27, 2013. CGC will assume the cost of shipping and re-holdering, if needed.

Thanks for the update Mark.

It appears the smoking gun has already begun to divide people's views on this manipulative activity, so I'm wondering if any of the books the submitter agreed to send are books which MasterChief has provided before/after scans to prove the alterations?

Here's a summary of MasterChief's post - if I've missed any please feel free to add:

Batman 1

Action Comics 27

Captain America Comics 13

More Fun 59

Young Allies 1

Avengers 1 *hopefully the submitter listens to the request and submits this.

Literally makes our hobby and third party grading look like a joke. I'm embarrassed.

I'm confused that CGC somehow missed the River City distinction. Do they not go back and look at their registry to check for these things? Not really complaining, just wondering if they go back and check out all the examples thats in the data base. One look at the written date on the cover would've shown that the book was graded before. Don't know how many OFF #1 have been graded but it couldn't be that many compared to a modern submission.

Well, I can give them a pass on that. They have new graders, and how much writing on the covers of books do any of these graders see every day? As posted by aman619:

River City markings are usually grease pencil. this is just a inked arrival date. So missing the Pedegree resub here wasnt as easy as was stated...

So...I wonder if the graders are put through any classes to see if things like this are recognised...

hm

-slym

Nice to see my collection getting defiled like this :(

I really feel for you, Paratrooper. As an appreciator of the old skool DC War books, there was nothing wrong with that Our Fighting Forces #1 in the Qualified holder. It was a nicely-centered vintage comic book with a popped staple -- no big deal IMO. It looked great and displayed well in the holder. I have seen high-grade GLODs with popped staples still command decent money (Batman #222 comes immediately to mind), so there was no reason to further monkey with that book. Also, the pedigree designation linked it to a piece of comic collecting history, so added bonus.

In its current 8.5 form, it looks like an over-graded book with a slight spine roll and a piece of tape stuck to it somewhere.

If the conventional understanding of the labels is this:

Blue = "universal" = "normal" = widely accepted commodity

Green = "qualified" = "out of the ordinary" = limited market for those who are okay with the defect, unconfirmed signature, etc

This book seems to turn this logic upside-down. The original GLOD is a typical vintage comic book, while the 8.5 universal grade is the oddity!

I

Nice to see my collection getting defiled like this :(

I really feel for you, Paratrooper. As an appreciator of the old skool DC War books, there was nothing wrong with that Our Fighting Forces #1 in the Qualified holder. It was a nicely-centered vintage comic book with a popped staple -- no big deal IMO. It looked great and displayed well in the holder. I have seen high-grade GLODs with popped staples still command decent money (Batman #222 comes immediately to mind), so there was no reason to further monkey with that book. Also, the pedigree designation linked it to a piece of comic collecting history, so added bonus.

In its current 8.5 form, it looks like an over-graded book with a slight spine roll and a piece of tape stuck to it somewhere.

If the conventional understanding of the labels is this:

Blue = "universal" = "normal" = widely accepted commodity

Green = "qualified" = "out of the ordinary" = limited market for those who are okay with the defect, unconfirmed signature, etc

This book seems to turn this logic upside-down. The original GLOD is a typical vintage comic book, while the 8.5 universal grade is the oddity!

Ive never seen a book with tape grade an 8.5 before. That's INSANITY.

IM not ok with tape, no. But CGC has been, until they change their policy. hopefully soon. right?

CGC has been ok with tape, but not on 8.5s. I don't know anyone who would give a book with tape an 8.5.

IM not ok with tape, no. But CGC has been, until they change their policy. hopefully soon. right?

CGC has been ok with tape, but not on 8.5s. I don't know anyone who would give a book with tape an 8.5.

Scary part is, if thats an 8.5 w/tape. imagine what it would be no tape? 9.4/6 green label

IMO, at this point CGC has only one road to go down.

They will never follow my advice but here it is:

Get rid of all purple labels. Note the defects (tape, color touch, trimming, spine seals, etc) on the blue label and let the market determine the price. Is a taped up book really worth tons more than a reattached cover by a professional?

Get rid of all purple labels. Note the defects (tape, color touch, trimming, spine seals, etc) on the blue label and let the market determine the price. Is a taped up book really worth tons more than a reattached cover by a professional?

Purple labels protect the oblivious collector/investor. Your method is the ideal scenario for a world of savvy collectors.

Purple labels protect the oblivious collector/investor. Your method is the ideal scenario for a world of savvy collectors.

Purple labels destroy the value of a book even if the goal is simply to reattach the cover.

Taped up might very well destroy the book but it will sell for much higher prices than if it is placed in a purple holder.

Who is protecting the novice collector from buying taped up books at the wrong price?

Purple labels destroy the value of a book even if the goal is simply to reattach the cover.

Taped up might very well destroy the book but it will sell for much higher prices than if it is placed in a purple holder.

Who is protecting the novice collector from buying taped up books at the wrong price?

Purple labels apply a broad brush to books, despite the difference between a small tear seal, or a total extensive restoration job. The purple label stigmatizes the book. I say get rid of it, and just come up with a new way of showing the info on the CGC label.

Purple labels apply a broad brush to books, despite the difference between a small tear seal, or a total extensive restoration job. The purple label stigmatizes the book. I say get rid of it, and just come up with a new way of showing the info on the CGC label.

Actually there is a big price delta between amateur versus progressional restoration as well as slight, moderate, and extensive work done, all of which are noted on the purple label.

Actually there is a big price delta between amateur versus progressional restoration as well as slight, moderate, and extensive work done, all of which are noted on the purple label.

um, Ok.

Purple labels don't destroy anything. It's CGCs fault, their corrupt glue/ct policy allows certain GA books to be protected in blue labels.

They should treat tape as restoration when its there to improve the grade. It's not hard to see FRESH tape and tape used to keep a worn book together that was applied years ago.

Purple labels NEED to be in place to let the oblivious know one thing "RESTORED GRADE". If everything were in blue labels but noted, it would be the same thing thats happening now just on an entirely larger scale. The restored books would be fetching big prices just like the CT/glued books that are in universal now.

Don't even let me get into their unverified sig policy. Placing books in green labels and destroying their value because they didn't witness the sig, especially when books were signed before CGC was in existance. Yet half of the pedigrees have grossly written names across the covers and fetch 9.8s like nothing.

+1

Put info on the label and let the market decide.