• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

The comics community has kept pressing in check and closely guarded,

Can you please stop posting this drivel? Pressing hasn't been "in check" or "closely guarded" for at least a decade.

Compared to the amount of pressing that`s about to happen this year it`s been in check.

You got two storms on the horizon that will take pressing to a whole new different level.

CGC will now press your books opening the door for more rush jobs.

The more comics that get pressed will leave to less quality of pressing.

They will press more because they will make unprecedented profits.

Novice rookie wannabee sportscard dealers who will exploit pressing comics to the max.

Most comic book pressers do have a love for the comic books they press and will be careful with pedigrees,while the sportscard dealers could care less if they damage a comic book.They just want a profit.

Thes two storms factored in with how collectors_comics just pulled the wool over the experts eyes should make for a mighty interesting 2013.

:popcorn:

The storm you foresee has passed or is in a holding pattern. Most of what you say is happening now.

Restoring a book in any way may as well be mutilating it to some people. To some it is not .

Pressing a book properly may be mutilating a book to some, while to others it's completely benign.

I would imagine what's going on with these books is heavily frowned upon form bothe pro and anti-pressers . Probably much the same way folding the book in half would be.

Hopefully the anti-pressing crowd does not see this as an "I told you so" to the pro pressing crowd and draw out the same old arguments, which will not change a thing. But, I'm already seeing signs of that, unfortunately.

It will be much better to recognize the fact that bad press jobs should be down graded and CGC should be more consistent with grading period. Had this book been graded more accurately with those factors in mind, it would have never received an upgrade and there would be no incintive to mutilate the books in this way.

I like your post Mike and I agree with a lot of it, but there are other issues.

What always worried me about pressing was the non disclosure. I Had no problem with people who were upfront about it, if you have something in the open, then it's your book and there is of course nothing wrong with pressing it if you chose, but for those who did not disclose...well, there lies the problem. Don't disclose one thing, then you find people who try to manipulate the system by not disclosing something else. It just snowballs, like not posting "restored" when you sell a book, it's all meant to present something in the best possible light to potential buyers.

I actually don't find this pressing any more damaging than regular pressing. I find it less pretty, but I don't see the big difference. It's the loophole aspect I find troubling. That people are trying to get around CGC and find loopholes, not disclose what they are doing and game the system.

I feel the same way about tape. I have no problem with archival tape on a split or attaching a small piece, it DOES help preserve the book However, to have a system that encourages people to use something that will damage the paper (non-archival tape) so that they can GAME the system. ...that I mind very much.

If these things were noted...and yes, I know not everything can be detected, no one is perfect, but if they WERE noted when known..this would eliminate at least some of the gaming.

Look at all the books being pressed right now, it's incredible. I know people thought I was joking about Virgin books yesterday, but one day, they will be at a premium, because they ARE going to be scarce.

I never quite got why, if someone doesn't think pressing IS restoration, they would care if it's noted on the label. Here is a perfect opportunity, CGC owns a pressing company. NOTE the work done on the label. Maybe some people will want those books even more :shrug:

A few observations from last nights discussion -

1) mmehdy, the self proclaimed "King" of comics is a genius. I don't think there will ever be another illiterate lawyer whose posts can make me laugh as hard AND make me as mad as Mr. Ticket. Mad props to Mitch (thumbs u

2) Watching spiderman-on-tilt, the dead Olympic sprinter of boardies, whiff on fastball after fastball from Comix4fun, our posting Mercury, and then Dice, essentially Zeus, was comedy gold.

3) Having Plitch and Zaid join the conversation on The CGC's behalf is pretty cool. Seriously.

(thumbs u (the good kind)

It strikes me how shrewd and calculated this type of grade manipulation is.

If I didn't see it myself, I never would have believed that anyone could pull this kind of thing off, in apparently such volume.

It's really pretty frightening. Bob out :hi:

The comics community has kept pressing in check and closely guarded,

Can you please stop posting this drivel? Pressing hasn't been "in check" or "closely guarded" for at least a decade.

while not so with the sportscard collectors as information about pressing comics for them has gone viral,so expect much more amateur or badly pressed comics in the future.

And once they discover that CGC will hammer the grade on a botched pressing job, they'll wise up and start sending their books to CFP or CIS.

Have many of you seen a poor pressing job? A good one?

A good job is very difficult to detect. A poor one has telltale signs. If I know what to look for, I am sure CGC does as well.

What was done on the AV #1 was neither. We all assume it was done by pressing, but it might not have been. My first assumption was that it was pressed, but that is not absolute. The intent was not to remove small defects, it was to re-align the spine to hide issues that at the time, were present on the front cover. This is a far cry from a straight press. To those who want to lump all pressing under the same umbrella, I doubt I can say anything to change your mind. So I won't try.

I would definitely take to heart what Joe and Matt have to say re: pressing. :)

The lower grade slab of that Lois lane is in heritage database

Apparently it was a 5,5 that sold on May 6, 2011

After looking at the before scan, it does not look that egregious

ie: From the 5.5, IF the spine was shifted at all, it would have been just barely.

It's like watching a pack of bloodhounds tracking escaped convicts. :popcorn:

I keep picturing the Wilsons as the trio from Oh Brother Where Art Though, with their striped PJs, manacled feet, and utter inability to escape bluegrass music.

"I am a man of constant sorrow""

:cloud9:

Strange, I always thought about doing this whole 'spine realignment' thing to remove the back cover white along the spine from a miswrap. One of my pet peeves. But It never crossed my mind to do it to do it to hide spine ticks and get a higher CGC grade.

Nah, I don't want to burn anyone, I just like people to play by the rules, and for the rules to be ones that can work for the poor snooks, not just the wise guys...kind of like not being able to use stick-um in baseball.;)

It's like watching a pack of bloodhounds tracking escaped convicts. :popcorn:

I keep picturing the Wilsons as the trio from Oh Brother Where Art Though, with their striped PJs, manacled feet, and utter inability to escape bluegrass music.

"I am a man of constant sorrow""

:cloud9:

[font:Times New Roman]Another picture is evolving...[/font]

wilson_volleyball.jpg