• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insane press and flip Avengers 1.

491 posts in this topic

I'm glad the OP pointed this out. I was previously unaware of this technique and would hope to avoid purchasing such books in the future. Collectors_comics should be a business with a person behind it, does anyone have the name of the proprietor? Can we outright phone and ask if this book has been manipulated? I'd have no problem doing it.

Second question - does GPAnalysis keep an archive of the CGC Forum, and why? I noticed this just a couple of weeks ago doing an Internet search. Thanks

well, I have no problem with pressing but this I do big time and I will bring the attention to CGC but that all I can do is email them this thread...they can do whatever they wish. All I can do is focus on raw and slab books that I want to buy or bid. If I see the interior protruding out of the right edge and the miswrap is front to back, then I will be cautious on buying or bidding.

the new catchy term will be SRP for Spine Realigned Press

last I am not saying a book is SRP whenever the signs are there, just proceed with caution or avoid if I see that kind of signs.

This is an extreme example of why it's necessary to to closely study a CGC book before buying it. Overgraded, overmanipulated and just something that I would completely want to avoid like the plague.

I believe the 8.5 belonged to board member RacerX. Wonder what he'd have to say about the grade bump ?

Right you are PIP. And I am going on record stating that I do NOT think they are the same book. I always take a look at my new slab purchases to see if I think a press could get a bump (sorry, my esteemed anti-press colleagues).

I thought that 8.5 was a gift as it was for the reasons noted here - so many spine ticks. No way was I going to crack that out to press and re-sub - more of a chance of it coming back 8.0 than 9.0 or better.

For those of you saying the ticks got shifted to the back - what pics are you looking at? I can't tell that from seller's auctiva pics...

Summary: I would bet these 2 are NOT the same book.

It's the same book. The minor semi crease above antmans head in the letter box is a giveaway. You can see it in the Auctiva scan of the just the top edge.

It's the same book. The minor semi crease above antmans head in the letter box is a giveaway. You can see it in the Auctiva scan of the just the top edge.

What about Loki's neck ? More than just a tick. Gonna agree with RacerX that books are not the same.

What about Loki's neck ? Gonna agree with RacerX that books are not the same.

Exactly - that glaring unpressable chip on Loki's neck is not in the 9.2 - front or back. A number of other unpressable ticks are also not present in the 9.2.

Anyway, I e-mailed seller of 9.2 - see what he says...

it is at the spine so unless you have the book in hands at look at the spine, you are not going to see that spot...look at that white spot on your old scan, line it up with the where the "M" of marvel is on the top and you can see why you can't see it on the newly pressed book. tell you what, who bought your book, tell him you are willing to buy it back for more money and see what he says...wanna bet?

it is at the spine so unless you have the book in hands at look at the spine, you are not going to see that spot...look at that white spot on your old scan, line it up with the where the "M" of marvel is on the top and you can see why you can't see it on the newly pressed book. tell you what, who bought your book, tell him you are willing to buy it back for more money and see what he says...wanna bet?

I don't think it is at the spine - the part of Loki's neck where the chip is is still on the FC in the 9.2...but no chip.

I saw JoeyPost on here - Joey, do you think that 8.5 could have been pressed to a 9.2?

Exactly - that glaring unpressable chip on Loki's neck is not in the 9.2 - front or back. A number of other unpressable ticks are also not present in the 9.2.

I could be wrong, but the part of Loki's neck where that unpressable chip was, appears now to be on the BC of the 9.2. The 9.2's BC has a very similar chip (in length and location) now on the BC. The 9.2's BC has the smallest sliver of Loki's neck on it now, and that is where the chip appears to be.

Also, BOTH of the books seem to have very much the same FC bottom right corner abrasion, not to mention the same type of FC upper right corner.

It's the same book.

Interesting. Because the buyer/seller are the same i want to agree with you but i'm not so sure.

Like racer said, what happened to that HUGE scrape on Lokis neck? You cant see it at all on the back cover scan in the new auction (shrug)

I could be wrong, but the part of Loki's neck where that unpressable chip was, appears now to be on the BC of the 9.2. The 9.2's BC has a very similar chip (in length and location) now on the BC. The 9.2's BC has the smallest sliver of Loki's neck on it now, and that is where the chip appears to be.

Also, BOTH of the books seem to have very much the same FC bottom right corner abrasion, not to mention the same type of FC upper right corner.

To me, that chip looks MUCH bigger on the 8.5 than the 9.2. Everything else seems to match up though. I'd say its the same book but i'm not 100% on it.

I don't think it is at the spine - the part of Loki's neck where the chip is is still on the FC in the 9.2...but no chip.

I saw JoeyPost on here - Joey, do you think that 8.5 could have been pressed to a 9.2?

i know it's tough to agree but it's the same book. Look at the red box at the bottom of the 8.5 and where earths starts. It was shifted just enough on the 9.2 to put them on the spine/bc

Photoshop

Is that what it is?

If this is the kind of things we can look forward to now, i'm very VERY troubled!

Pressing, i dont really mind. If someone can press out some defects and get a better grade, whatever. This to me though is a TOTALLY different animal. In my mind, its changing the book and making it something different. I dont like this at all. If this is the kind of that already is going on heavily or soon will be, i don't see myself buying a lot of high dollar i dont know all its history.

To me, that chip looks MUCH bigger on the 8.5 than the 9.2. Everything else seems to match up though. I'd say its the same book but i'm not 100% on it.

when I'm home ill link the thread

look at the location of the chip. You won't be able to see it on the FC or bc. If you were the book wouldn't be 9.2. It's directly on the spine fold. Basically folded perfectly.