• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insane press and flip Avengers 1.

491 posts in this topic

All I can say is that if Timely said it is the same book, than I too believe it is the same book.

Could be wrong, but I cannot believe it is the same book. It was a gift 8.5 with ALOT of defects not removable by pressing, be they "shifted" to back cover or not. I just can't see how my 8.5 could have been converted to a 9.2... It wasn't close at all...

Another indication is that the buyer of your copy has the same number of feedback and star color as the current seller. Pretty obvious that it is likely the same copy. Unless of course someone on here asks him if he still has the 8.5 copy he recently bought and would like to purchase it from him...

All I can say is that if Timely said it is the same book, than I too believe it is the same book.

Could be wrong, but I cannot believe it is the same book. It was a gift 8.5 with ALOT of defects not removable by pressing, be they "shifted" to back cover or not. I just can't see how my 8.5 could have been converted to a 9.2... It wasn't close at all...

Another indication is that the buyer of your copy has the same number of feedback and star color as the current seller. Pretty obvious that it is likely the same copy. Unless of course someone on here asks him if he still has the 8.5 copy he recently bought and would like to purchase it from him...

Wouldn't Racer-X know who bought his book? If it was Collectors_comics, then it should be a slam dunk that its the same book. Sure looks like it from here.

Wouldn't Racer-X know who bought his book? If it was Collectors_comics, then it should be a slam dunk that its the same book. Sure looks like it from here.

I'm sure he does, but some sellers do not want to publicize who the buyer was from their transaction. I respect that.

Collectors_comics left positive feedback for Racer-X's Avengers 1.

I'm sure he does, but some sellers do not want to publicize who the buyer was from their transaction. I respect that.

It's the same book. If you really spend the time looking side by side, the tiny flaws are the same. It's amazing when the stresses are pulled around to the side of the spine how nice the comic looks. BUT CGC should still grade it the same.

Seems to me the real issue here is whether or not The CGC is only grading front cover defects. Simply realigning a book so a defect moves around the spine to the back does not mean that the defect has disappeared. So the only way the book would get an upgrade is if the grader missed the defect. The only way a grader misses a defect on the back cover is because he or she never looked at the back cover.

Seems to me the real issue here is whether or not The CGC is only grading front cover defects. Simply realigning a book so a defect moves around the spine to the back does not mean that the defect has disappeared. So the only way the book would get an upgrade is if the grader missed the defect. The only way a grader misses a defect on the back cover is because he or she never looked at the back cover.

I doubt they missed it. They are just putting too much of a focus on what the front cover looks like. I kind of understand it as even if you aren't purposely trying to do this, I think most of us subconciously put more emphasis on what the front cover of a book looks like relative to the rest. I would expect better of CGC though. They should be grading the whole book, not just the FC.

I had this idea a while ago. Not that I would deface a book for money.

http://cgcforum.gpanalysis.com/cgcforum_thread.asp?threadid=5959635&threadname=Pressing+out+a+miss+wrap+%3F&forumID=30&refreshing=on

If you shift the spine why don't you end up with a book length horizontal crease where the spine used to be? Lots of sub creases cant be pressed out and they wouldnt be from as tight a bend as a spine would they?

Excellent question. Maybe the answer is that ncb sub creases can be pressed out and the original spine crease is ncb. hm

Wow - to me, this is beyond what I ever thought of as pressing but I suppose it is a slippery slope

Simply put, If I bought this book and found out what it used to look like, I'd be upset

Now tell me pressing isn't restoration! rantrant

Oh they're grading back cover defects!

As explained by CGC, that's why I got the reverse treatment of this book with my 9.2 Avengets 4 dropping to a 8.5 (thumbs u

Someone has to know where his 4.5 Batman 1 came from before it was pressed and what its previous grade was. You can also tell on the BC that the spine has been shifted.

It was auctioned by ComicConnect in August of last year, as part of the Ruben Blades collection. It was a 2.0 with cover detached and centerfold detached from bottom staple only. The erasure marks beneath the image of Batman on the front cover give it away.

In this case, the grade appears to have also been helped in part by removing the spine roll (making the spine look much prettier than it did), but I really wish CGC would stop rewarding tape jobs with grade bumps. :sorry:

All because the spine stress was able to be shifted... 8.5 to a 9.2 insane. Boggles my mind that someone can see spine stress and realize it can be shifted so it's not visible.

Looking at the 8.5, looks like its lucky to be an 8.5.

This a horrible press job, and a terrible grade assignment the second time around.

Wow - to me, this is beyond what I ever thought of as pressing but I suppose it is a slippery slope

Simply put, If I bought this book and found out what it used to look like, I'd be upset

Now tell me pressing isn't restoration! rantrant

(worship)

While I would agree that the book was originally a loose 8.5 ( more of an 8.0), I can see the same defects on a the back cover getting a higher grade ( though not a 9.2), but the pressing has taken what was a minor miswrap favoring the front cover, to a very noticeable one leaving an unappealing page edge exposure. I have no idea what the FMV on a 9.2 Avengers #1 is, but part of the blame for this goes to a market that would pay substantially more for a miswrapped 9.2 than it would a better centered 8.5.

What makes some of u think someone couldn't have both an 8.5 AND a 9.2?

Some of u seem certain it's the same book, but...wow, that would be an incredible swing on that book. I just can't see it...