• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insane press and flip Avengers 1.

491 posts in this topic

What makes some of u think someone couldn't have both an 8.5 AND a 9.2?

Some of u seem certain it's the same book, but...wow, that would be an incredible swing on that book. I just can't see it...

If you already had a 9.2,would you buy an 8.5?

Some of u seem certain it's the same book, but...wow, that would be an incredible swing on that book. I just can't see it...

You can see the white color loss at Loki's neck has moved from the front to the back cover. It would be even more incredible if a seller had two copies with the same defect.

:gossip:

I'm in the "same book" camp

It's possible he downgraded a book to free up some cash. Guessing at how people collect won't get us anywhere. Would love to see a better scan of that back cover.

I can understand a grader assigning a lower grade to a book with defects on the front over the back but this swing seems excessive. IMHO a book with those spine creases on the back shouldn't grade 9.2

Definitely think this is the same book.

Apparently this guy has been getting all the mileage he can out of this. If you look at his high grade slabs a TON of them exhibit the same page flare thing that's happening on the right edge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Journey-Into-Mystery-113-MARVEL-1965-NEAR-MINT-CGC-9-6-NM-ORIGIN-Loki-Thor-/350694815497?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item51a70a3709

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-34-MARVEL-1966-NEAR-MINT-CGC-9-6-NM-2nd-HIGHEST-GRADE-/220878708071?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item336d659d67

Apparently this guy has been getting all the mileage he can out of this. If you look at his high grade slabs a TON of them exhibit the same page flare thing that's happening on the right edge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Journey-Into-Mystery-113-MARVEL-1965-NEAR-MINT-CGC-9-6-NM-ORIGIN-Loki-Thor-/350694815497?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item51a70a3709

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-34-MARVEL-1966-NEAR-MINT-CGC-9-6-NM-2nd-HIGHEST-GRADE-/220878708071?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item336d659d67

definately working the system here

Multiple books with the same 'look'. Rather damning in my book. I'll be avoiding books that have this page flare thing.

This reminds me of the Ewert Micro trimming scandal of years ago. Jason Ewert was slipping trimmed books past CGC. Steve Borock took an active roll and eventually Ewert was banned from using CGC's services. CGC also offered to inspect, free of charge, any CGC books sold by Ewert.

Any old timers out there remember all this ?!?

This reminds me of the Ewert Micro trimming scandal of years ago. Jason Ewert was slipping trimmed books past CGC. Steve Borock took an [bold]active roll[/bold] and eventually Ewert was banned from using CGC's services. CGC also offered to inspect, free of charge, any CGC books sold by Ewert.

is that like a buttered roll?

or a roll in da hay?

: )

This reminds me of the Ewert Micro trimming scandal of years ago. Jason Ewert was slipping trimmed books past CGC. Steve Borock took an active roll and eventually Ewert was banned from using CGC's services. CGC also offered to inspect, free of charge, any CGC books sold by Ewert.

Yes, it was a black eye for grading and the hobby. This feels like more of the same.

The 8.5 has at least a dozen spine stresses and a good amount of corner abrasion at both the top and bottom of the spine. Is the 9.2 really the same book? And what's up with the top right corner? :o

This is not the first time where a book is realigned so that the old spine is "slipped" behind the book. There were other examples but at least one was shown and discussed in the restoration forum last year.

Just my opinion/guess but to achieve this...the book must be open and flatten completely to remove the "paper memory" of the old spine and then refold with the new fold at the spine.

the CPR game has advances to the next level...I can see a slew of silver age mega key books resurface with this kind of realignment. It is a dead give away to see the interior extend pass the front cover this way.

what a disgrace :facepalm:

The 8.5 has at least a dozen spine stresses and a good amount of corner abrasion at both the top and bottom of the spine. Is the 9.2 really the same book? And what's up with the top right corner? :o

This is not the first time where a book is realigned so that the old spine is "slipped" behind the book. There were other examples but at least one was shown and discussed in the restoration forum last year.

Just my opinion/guess but to achieve this...the book must be open and flatten completely to remove the "paper memory" of the old spine and then refold with the new fold at the spine.

the CPR game has advances to the next level...I can see a slew of silver age mega key books resurface with this kind of realignment. It is a dead give away to see the interior extend pass the front cover this way.

what a disgrace :facepalm:

Indeed.

This type of cover alignment happens naturally on some silver age books though, so spotting the newly pressed specimens is going to be a guessing game if there isn't an auction record. I just sold an ASM 1 that, based on a scan, would have appeared to have had this type of treatment. It didn't though, as I bought it raw from the OO and slabbed it without pressing it.

Someone has to know where his 4.5 Batman 1 came from before it was pressed and what its previous grade was. You can also tell on the BC that the spine has been shifted.

It was auctioned by ComicConnect in August of last year, as part of the Ruben Blades collection. It was a 2.0 with cover detached and centerfold detached from bottom staple only. The erasure marks beneath the image of Batman on the front cover give it away.

In this case, the grade appears to have also been helped in part by removing the spine roll (making the spine look much prettier than it did), but I really wish CGC would stop rewarding tape jobs with grade bumps. :sorry:

wow a 2.0 to a 4.5.

Seller is gaming the system, no two ways about it.

CGC have always been more lenient on back cover flaws than front, so i guess if you can move the flaws from the front of the book to the back it will grade higher.

I'm amazed there isn't more wear along the old spine fold though.

Must be sickening for Racer X to see this marked up by $70,000. I just hope the market rejects this practice and it doesn't sell for the 9.2 price.

This is the story that first led me to these boards.