• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Comic Book Day 2014

94 posts in this topic

I did a search to see if anyone else had started a thread about FCBD in Comics General and I didn't find one. If there is another I apologize.

I always miss the good stuff on FCBD because I have to work on the first Saturday of May every year. Usually when I get there the good stuff is gone. This year my oldest turns 7, and he specifically asked to go to FCBD this year. I worked it out with my director so that I could take my son early and not miss anything this year. It's been a pretty exciting day for him and I wanted to share our experience.

First off let me state that the closest comic store to me currently is 45 minutes away, so going to a comic shop is an event as we I have to cross a state line and the Intercoastal waterway just to get to it. This morning we started out at 6am because my wife was running her 2nd 5k in two weeks in a neighboring town. She was finished by 9:30 and my son and I were off to North Myrtle Beach and Apocalypse Comics. We got there a little after 10 and there was a line, but not too terrible. When we entered the store my son got excited. We rarely get to do things together because his little brother usually tags along, so this day was just the two of us. Needless to say, he had a great time.

photo2.jpg

I've seen the store get busy before for FNM or Heroclix, but never just for comics like this.

photo3.jpg

FCBD books were setup in a circle of tables in the middle of the shop. Everyone could pick up one copy of each and it looked like Chad ordered everything. His Facebook page said that he had ordered 10,000 copies for FCBD. It was a nice setup too because the books with more adult themes were marked as such. He also gave away free Heroclix and Lantern rings.

photo4.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

Sorry for the pic quality but I wanted to show how things were setup.

photo1-1.jpg

Little guy was excited to say the least.

Outside the store were boxes of $1 books. We picked up about $25 worth of them between the two of us. There was also a bouncy house, NMB Fire Truck, Scooby Doo van, and a tent with MTG demos, couple of local artists, and my friend Hector selling his book Faith and Fandom. Needless to say it was a great experience for my little guy and I had fun too.

photo1.jpg

This is what its all about. After a stop at Chic-fil-a, we were on our way home. He read 4 of his comics between the shop and home. He picked out Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, and books that had Thanos on the cover from the $1 boxes. Kid has good taste.

That store is about 15 minutes from my home, but the g/f worked today...so I had no car. :( Wouldn't really have wanted to go without her or the little one, though.

Glad you had fun!

Peace,

Chip

Took my twin boys to New World Manga in Livingston, NJ this morning.

Great little store, does comics, card games, board games, etc.

Free goodie bags to the first 50 people on line. The comic gods were smiling on us. My sons were 48 and 49. Only a few people were allowed inside at a time for crowd-control reasons.

Inside the kids books were on a separate table from the adult material, which I thought was a good idea. Limit of 4 books per person. My boys picked up mostly the non-superhero books, with the exception of Teen Titans Go.

I grabbed the 2000AD, Don Rosa Duck book, and the GoTG give-away. I wanted to pick up the Mouse Guard book, but I think they were already gone by the time we got inside.

Before we left I bought them each one of the Scribblenaut DC figurines. We got Aquaman and Vampire Batman.

Thanks to New World Manga for running a great FCBD!

Great pics!! :applause: I love seeing little kids so excited for comics. :) I stopped by my LCS late today so most of everything was already gone. :(

I did pick up one thing I thought was really cool. My LCS had David Petersen selling prints, sketches and signing books and handing out free HC copies of a FCBD Mouse Guard. He seemed like a really nice, personable guy and signed the copy for me. :cool:

33nyurc.jpg

i picked up some stuff for my daughter, the local mart had a guy giving his book away too, apparantly he printed 100 copies for San Diego last year and sold 3 so he was giving them away, seemed like a nice guy and he drew an eye for me (no idea why)...David Golding he's called

Awesome brother.. I got Rocket Racoon

i got that too along with

Hello Kitty

Showa a history of japan

Teen Titans Go

Mouse Guard

Hip Hop Family Tree

Kaboom

and i picked up an illustrated version of The Raven

my LCS was midtown comics time square, and they had everything pre-bagged and ready to hand out. Well, they handed me to bags of the same set of books, so I ended up getting doubles and I didn't realized until I got home. FML.

I forgot it was FCBD, but stopped by a small shop on the way home from a church rummage sale. I was like "wow, why is it so busy in here?" The giveaway was the crowd of people walking out with as many books as they could carry, and the cashier sitting there by himself with nothing to do, because no one bought anything.

Bah humbug.

I went and they were out of books.

Bummed out but I started looking around and found a stack someone had left! Ha ha SCORE

Went to 2 of my LCS today. Here is what I picked up:

Rise of the Magi #0

Guardians of the Galaxy

New 52 Futures End

Rocket Raccoon #1

Bongo Comics

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

Sonic the Hedgehog

Street Fighter #0

Deadpool The Gauntlet #1

Earth 2 in Sherman Oaks was letting you get 5, which is pretty amazing. More if you donated to the Hero Fund - cool idea. I thought the Rocket Raccoon book looked really sweet. I was a sucker for anthropomorphic animals as a kid, so I am really thinking I sip I'll enjoy rocket.

Went to my local store after work. They only had one title left.

Asked them to hold some of the kids books for my daughter but no such luck.

Overall a waste of time.