• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP D ICK AYERS

55 posts in this topic

What a disgrace that his name must be censored on here. I know that it is sad that word can be a dirty-ish word too but when it is also someone's name, you should just have to deal with it and allow the name…even if it may be abused later.

Regardless, RIP, he will be missed!

What a shame. He did a lot of great and varied work over the years; I always enjoy finding new PCH stories by him and he was excellent inking Kirby on the pre-hero books. I was able to meet him briefly at a show about 6 years ago, he was a very nice man.

TwuGunKid83.jpg

DickAyers.jpg

:( I loved Ayer's work. Also a very sweet man. I met him and his wife at a con and showed him a recently acquired NM- GHOST RIDER #1 (Magazine Enterprises A-1 No. 27 - 1950). Ayers both penciled and inked it.

He and his wife were surprised and pleased to see it and he gave me a ghost rider sketch with the same pose as the cover. (Now long gone - lost in a move with a few boxes of books).

Ayers, along with Gene Colan were my two favorite artists. I know other artists may be considered "better" but there was a sense of something in their art I really responded to.

I had a Sgt Fury #87 I was sending off to have Stan signed in a couple of weeks and was looking forward to the next Legends SS gathering. Sorry I missed him. So many have passed recently it seems. RIP Mr. Ayers.

Mr. Ayers was always a friendly presence at cons. My condolences to his family. I'm sure they realize how much impact his ability and kindness meant to fans over the years. Like other artists from his era, there was a real sincerity to his work.

90 well-lived years. RIP.