• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about letting "internationals" decide if shipping is too much?

235 posts in this topic

*ahem*

I've noticed this annoying trend in the marketplace where sellers are saying they'll only ship within Amurrica because it's just too expensive otherwise...

Crazy thought: how about putting up a shipping quote that you know will cover it, and letting buyers decide what's "too expensive"?

Thanks!

I don't ship outside the US because I don't want to ship outside the US. Why do you feel the need to whine about it?

I have shipped to Canada twice now. The printing off the customs form is no problem. I just hate having to go to the post office and have them attach everything. Plus, both times now. I get a shipping estimate from the post office, and it ends up being more than they originally quoted and I do not know why. I'm putting in the accurate weight, size, value, etc. So I'd rather not ship to Canada but it's not that big of a deal.

There's no reason to go the post office for USPS priority international packages - just have the mailman pick them up at your home (it's free).

USPS has one price for when you print postage online and another for when you get postage at the post office - that's why you're overpaying when you go to the PO.

Other than MAYBE Saturday mornings, when am I around when the postal folks are doing their rounds? This job thingy makes me leave the house kind of early and get back kind of late.

And no, I live in Krooklyn, I won't be leaving packages for pick-up by my front door (although, shockingly enough, I have not yet had a problem with packages...though people have stolen $8 plants out of my front yard (as in dug them up, roots and all, in the middle of the night)

I ship anywhere in the world. Priority Mail tracks it all and it takes only about 4-6 days. Expensive? Yeah, kinda but you get the security you pay for.

Peace,

Chip

So do you handle a package worth more $800 to Germany?

Problem is, if it expensive and we want tracking to protect us with paypal/ebay then you guys often get irritated when we put down the real value on the customs form, which we kind of have to do to protect ourselves.

If you put all the terms upfront (shipping price, no fudging on the customs form, no exceptions) and a Canadian complains, then it's on him/her. You can run into douchenozzles on either side of the equation. But I think it's good to have the option out there for willing buyers.

I will ship anywhere in the world, but insurance limits and the inevitable requests to falsify customs forms makes a bit uneasy at times.

The real question is would you handle Transplant's German package for $800?

*ahem*

I've noticed this annoying trend in the marketplace where sellers are saying they'll only ship within Amurrica because it's just too expensive otherwise...

Crazy thought: how about putting up a shipping quote that you know will cover it, and letting buyers decide what's "too expensive"?

Thanks!

I don't ship outside the US because I don't want to ship outside the US. Why do you feel the need to whine about it?

I'm not whining about sellers who don't want to ship outside the US. Read the thread again.

Why do you feel the need to diminish the point by calling it "whining", every time this topic comes up?

*ahem*

Thanks!

He's saying that he doesn't have a problem if you put that in your listing. If you don't feel like it, fine.

It's stating "I don't ship outside the US because it's too expensive" that he has a problem with, and rightfully so, I might add.

I will ship anywhere in the world, but insurance limits and the inevitable requests to falsify customs forms makes a bit uneasy at times.

Not for a million bucks

*ahem*

Thanks!

I'm not whining about sellers who don't want to ship outside the US. Read the thread again.

Why do you feel the need to diminish the point by calling it "whining", every time this topic comes up?

What did you try to purchase recently in the marketplace but couldn't because of these 'murrica only sellers?

*ahem*

Thanks!

IDK whether Doc is being facetious or not. I will say this. Every higher dollar package I send out of the country comes with an accompanying higher level of worry. Thankfully, I've only ever had 1 package lost internationally. But it was $400 and I've yet to see a dime from USPS insurance since October 2013. It's such an insane hassle to get them to pay when the package is lost and it was international.

Whether a buyer agrees to pay the increased cost and is okay with accurate customs forms or not, some people just don't want the hassle of shipping internationally. I do it, because I don't find it to be that much trouble. Others feel differently.

*ahem*

Thanks!

What did you try to purchase recently in the marketplace but couldn't because of these 'murrica only sellers?

There were a couple of things recently that I was interested in, but I made no actual attempt because I no longer bother asking for exceptions when someone says "US only". But I'm noticing this "too expensive" thing a lot, and it's annoying, so I figured I'd bring it up in the off chance that it convinces a couple people to approach it a different way. It's silly to be told I can't buy something because it's "too expensive".

Not for a million bucks

As in deer?

I think the reason is, for the most part, shipping to the US is easier. You print the label at home and either drop it off at the post office or a mailman can take it for you.

International, there are forms to potentially fill out and you usually do have to go to the post office and wait in line. There is just more work to be done.

*ahem*

Thanks!

Whining, bi+ching, complaining... Choose your word. It's all the same. You're upset because you want something that you can't get.

*ahem*

Thanks!

There were a couple of things recently that I was interested in, but I made no actual attempt because I no longer bother asking for exceptions when someone says "US only". But I'm noticing this "too expensive" thing a lot, and it's annoying, so I figured I'd bring it up in the off chance that it convinces a couple people to approach it a different way. It's silly to be told I can't buy something because it's "too expensive".

How about the excuse, "I don't ship to Canada because I don't know how to."

*ahem*

Thanks!

Whining, bi+ching, complaining... Choose your word. It's all the same. You're upset because you want something that you can't get.

And why are you upset, Jim?

*ahem*

Thanks!

How about the excuse, "I don't ship to Canada because I don't know how to."

That I could live with.

*ahem*

Thanks!

IDK whether Doc is being facetious or not. I will say this. Every higher dollar package I send out of the country comes with an accompanying higher level of worry. Thankfully, I've only ever had 1 package lost internationally. But it was $400 and I've yet to see a dime from USPS insurance since October 2013. It's such an insane hassle to get them to pay when the package is lost and it was international.

Whether a buyer agrees to pay the increased cost and is okay with accurate customs forms or not, some people just don't want the hassle of shipping internationally. I do it, because I don't find it to be that much trouble. Others feel differently.

The concern is understandable.

Doc feels the need to tell me I'm complaining every time this comes up. As if I don't realize that I'm complaining, and as if he never complains about anything himself.

Doc feels the need to tell me I'm complaining every time this comes up. As if I don't realize that I'm complaining, and as if he never complains about anything himself.

That's because everyone wants something that they want but can't have. Even Doc. lol