• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about letting "internationals" decide if shipping is too much?

235 posts in this topic

*ahem*

I've noticed this annoying trend in the marketplace where sellers are saying they'll only ship within America because it's just too expensive otherwise...

Crazy thought: how about putting up a shipping quote that you know will cover it, and letting buyers decide what's "too expensive"?

Thanks!

The main problem is that PayPal will revoke your seller protection on items over $250 if there isn't a signature with the delivery. The USPS doesn't offer signature conformation on packages outside the USA. The only other option is registered mail which is over $13 more in addition to the postage, and you have to wrap up the package like a mummy in that brown tape and fill out an extra form.

And for PayPal protection on items under $250 you still need a tracking number to the door which means you have to use priority mail (1st-class international offers no tracking even at an extra cost).

So on packages under $250 there shouldn't be a problem other than the straight up shipping cost of priority mail.

I know priority mail to Canada is tracked to the door so your good to mail to Canada under $250 with full PayPal seller protection. Of course you better not lie on the customs form what it's worth or you might void your PayPal protection.

:whatev:

Of course if the international buyer is willing to pay by check/money order or personal PayPal ( a no-no I know so please use the check/money order option lol ) that would grease the wheels for the seller but that would put the risk on the buyer.

*ahem*

I've noticed this annoying trend in the marketplace where sellers are saying they'll only ship within Amurrica because it's just too expensive otherwise...

Crazy thought: how about putting up a shipping quote that you know will cover it, and letting buyers decide what's "too expensive"?

Thanks!

If I didn't sell to all those frostbacks, I would have very little sales at all. :cry:

Frostbacks! lol

*ahem*

I've noticed this annoying trend in the marketplace where sellers are saying they'll only ship within Amurrica because it's just too expensive otherwise...

Thanks!

Havent read the thread but kudos for starting it.

It's basically how sellers without the cajones to say they won't ship to Canada try to "seem" like a "nice guy" and inclusive to all yet not have to, you know, actually ship outside the US :rant:

If you don't want to ship outside the US, fine, your loss, but own it.

I will only ship to the USA for eBay.

I will ship anywhere in the world for CGC or valiantfans.com boardies.

Except for France. e France.*

:)

-slym (*it's a joke, folks)

Cross-board jokes.

:cloud9:

*ahem*

Thanks!

Havent read the thread but kudos for starting it.

It's basically how sellers without the cajones to say they won't ship to Canada try to "seem" like a "nice guy" and inclusive to all yet not have to, you know, actually ship outside the US :rant:

If you don't want to ship outside the US, fine, your loss, but own it.

Quiet, Maple syrup perv!

I will only ship to the USA for eBay.

I will ship anywhere in the world for CGC or valiantfans.com boardies.

Except for France. e France.*

:)

-slym (*it's a joke, folks)

Cross-board jokes.

:cloud9:

:banana:

-slym

I am sure you guys have seen this already but it just seemed so on topic. See what happens when there is a USA only listing and a Canadian tries to buy anyway. :baiting:

10K book

And for PayPal protection on items under $250 you still need a tracking number to the door which means you have to use priority mail (1st-class international offers no tracking even at an extra cost).

As unlikely as it seems, my understanding is that the USPS First Class International service has changed in the last few months, and tracking to some countries... including Canada... is now part of the service. (I found this out when a buyer in Singapore won a lot of ebay comics from me, and I called ebay directly to figure out my seller-protected shipping options.) See

https://www.usps.com/ship/first-class-package-international-service.htm

First-Class Package International Service

--Tracking available when you ship online to select destinations

Would this tracking be sufficient for seller protection if a transaction went south? I have no idea, but the ebay guy I talked to seemed to think so. As this has been a problem for us for so many years, it's worth noting here that it appears to have changed.

As unlikely as it seems, my understanding is that the USPS First Class International service has changed in the last few months, and tracking to some countries... including Canada... is now part of the service. (I found this out when a buyer in Singapore won a lot of ebay comics from me, and I called ebay directly to figure out my seller-protected shipping options.) See

https://www.usps.com/ship/first-class-package-international-service.htm

First-Class Package International Service

--Tracking available when you ship online to select destinations

Would this tracking be sufficient for seller protection if a transaction went south? I have no idea, but the ebay guy I talked to seemed to think so. As this has been a problem for us for so many years, it's worth noting here that it appears to have changed.

Point Five - friend of 'internationals' everywhere. (worship)

What are internationals?

Also, shoe covers.

People who don't really know what's best for them. Non-internationals figure that out and inform internationals how it's gonna be (for their own good).

How is the violence capital of the U.S.?

It sucks. How you doin'?

Can't complain - no one would listen...., :lol:

Ragged is my description, but it's mostly self-inflicted. My son who is still in HS decided to do a spring sport this year, so we went from soccer to wrestling to track, and have been living out of travel bags since Sept - we live in an isolated area, so a short trip is 2-3 hours one way.

We recently purchased my dad's house from the estate, taxes were a bear to figure out this year, yada, yada, yada. (Lawyers, insurance, titles, oh my!)

I finally had last weekend at home, and spent most of my time trying to make the house look a little better than an episode of Hoarders.

I can see daylight at the end of the tunnel though - only about a month left of super busy :wishluck:

What are internationals?

Also, shoe covers.

People who don't really know what's best for them. Non-internationals figure that out and inform internationals how it's gonna be (for their own good).

This sounds totally reasonable. I fully support this. Who wants to tell them we got it figured out?

It sucks. How you doin'?

We were in Chicago for C2E2 and again, I couldn't believe how clean that city was. Unbelievable. We did a tour during the day and it was just gorgeous. What an amazing city.

You shut your mouth you white honkey.

Holy mess, I almost spit water everywhere...

:lol: :roflmao::signfunny:

-slym

Except that Casey is as white and honkey as they come. lol

What are internationals?

Also, shoe covers.

This sounds totally reasonable. I fully support this. Who wants to tell them we got it figured out?

Roy. Always Roy. He loves splainin' things.

What are internationals?

Also, shoe covers.

Let me get a drink....this is going to be a long post... :devil:

What are internationals?

Also, shoe covers.

Verbosity is Roy's mistress.

It sucks. How you doin'?

We were in Chicago for C2E2 and again, I couldn't believe how clean that city was. Unbelievable. We did a tour during the day and it was just gorgeous. What an amazing city.

You shut your mouth you white honkey.

Holy mess, I almost spit water everywhere...

:lol: :roflmao::signfunny:

Except that Casey is as white and honkey as they come. lol

That's why it was funny...

:doh:

-slym