• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Romita Jr + John Cassady = GARBAGE

35 posts in this topic

I honestly don't think it's all that bad. That being said, I also don't see the draw of JRJR as a named artist. While he is a functional artist who has been in the industry for a very long time, I don't know that he makes many top 10 lists, and I can't see marketing a book around the fact that he's drawing it. If that's all that Superman currently has going for it, then that's an easy pass.

I've been a JRJR defender for years. His runs on Spidey were both phenomenal, in my opinion. When he left those titles, his work dropped off a lot. I thought his Avengers was horrible and dropped the book pretty quickly because of it.

Having said that, he needs a good finisher/colorer. Go back and look at his first run on ASM. He always did layouts and a lot of the time his dad was doing the finishing or coloring. If you look at his second run on ASM, Scott Hanna and Klaus Janson were doing his coloring and finishes.

Now to bring it full circle, guess who is doing his coloring on Supes? Klaus Janson- who he has worked with before and has done a pretty stellar job with him.

You also have to remember that JRJR is a workhorse too. There isn't a lot of people that can get books out twice a month but JRJR can and has. Geoff Johns can do it too.

Personally, I'm stoked. Supes has been pretty lame for a long time. Superman Unchained was decent, but it wasn't mind boggling good. If Johns, Romita, and Janson can make the title interesting again then I'm in.

Oh and the few pieces of art you guys dropped in here are pretty bad. However, I think this looks pretty cool:

john-romita-jrs-superman-cover-art-for-geoff-johns-issue-32_zps2a01f91c.jpeg

PS: JRJR was always a bad cover artist. Almost his whole run with JMS in the 2000s had covers done by a variety of people- most notably JSC.

Let's hold out judgement is all I'm saying. The guy has been in the industry for close to 40 years.

Their work is just terrible. How do these guys continue to get work? John Cassady too! I look at some of their work and just shake my damn head. It could be the best written book on the market and if either one of them two draws it, I will pass over it. Uncanny Avengers JC's work was terrible. The JRJ X-Force variant cover is just wrong. I know its about personal taste but damn.

Sorry for the rant!

Do you mean John Cassaday, as in the Planetary artist? If so, I wholeheartedly disagree. I think his work is amazing, especially in person. As you mention art is all about personal taste, but what do you dislike about his work? I can see how JRJ can be kind of an acquired taste, but not so much with Cassaday.

His Planetary work was amazing. Brilliant even. Unfortunately, the version of Cassaday who drew that book hasn't been seen since he left AXM.

I like to think he's somewhere working on the greatest comic ever made written by the Bendis who wrote Daredevil, Alias, Powers and USM on a monthly basis.

Cassaday's work on Planetary was awesome. Has his style changed since then?

Big fan of Romita Jr from the late 70s' through the early 90s but his recent work does nothing for me. Romita Jr/Layton will always be the best Iron Man penciler/inker duo for me.

JRJR is definately a hit or gigantic miss for me. For some reason I really like his ASM run but everything else looks really messy and rushed to me.

As for Cassaday he was easily my favorite artist while working on Astonishing. Since then it seems the quality has dropped off significantly. I think the monthly schedule is really to blame in this case as some artists styles just dont work well in such a tight time frame.

I like JRJR for some things and others not so much.

His ASM work was excellent and his early Iron Man art was very good too.

I also like his Kick A and Hit Girl work.

I also have a killer OA page from the Fallen Hero comic and it's cool art.

His Sups here is horrible

The JRJR that i'm still fond off is an ancient one, from the times in DD written by Ann Noccenti (typhoid Mary, Méphisto end Blackheart run). It's been a longtime his style drives me away...

Now Cassaday, it's on another level really. I have in mind his authority and the astonishing x-men, which were great. How can one not like his work?

I haven't bought modern comics in the last decade, but has his style changed that much?

regards

I'm a fan of Cassaday's published work (his commissioned sketches are another story).

JRJR is kind of up and down for me. I think his style (well, newer style) works best with over the top kind of action. I'm guardedly optimistic his Superman stuff will look cool, though admittedly the promos look bad.

I like Romita fine. Sometimes good, sometimes not but most of the time somewhere in between.

Cassady on the other is the guy I use for my icon/avatar here on the boards so my opinion is a little different on him. lol

I have to say I was excited about Avengers vs X-Men at first, but when I saw he was doing the interiors I immediately cursed. Yes in the past his art was great, but now I have no idea how he still gets paid. His Superman looks like a horrible rendition of Bizzaro, and quite honestly have no idea how anyone from Marvel looked at his Cabke cover and was like sure lets run this one. Truly needs to retire and just do the Con thing...